Contribute
Register

Install OS X El Capitan with Chameleon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you want to use chameleon (old legacy style) when you can use clover (UEFI)?

Perhaps not only are people comfortable using Chameleon, but see no need to switch, such as myself. Personally I would rather used a hand patched DSDT/SSD than rely on an automated process, which in my experience is not always correct. For example, the latest version of Clover failed to not only detect the XMP of my RAM, but reported it as 17.36GB! Not to mention it takes 3x longer to boot from EFI over Chameleon (before the boot option appears, and after selection), with a much longer wait time for the screen to display the desktop. Not to mention the convoluted config.plist.

But that's just my 2cents.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

:headbang:

how can i skip clover bootloader in unibeast?

you can use hand methods in clover too. You don't need automation in patches. I use a custom DSDT with clover

I think ultimately chimera/chameleon was just more fool proof. clover takes more user configuration and that's where most less experienced users run into issues, which is why chameleon/enoch may be more favorable for them. In general that's just install and use.

I think clover would go further if it actually shipped with clover configurator. I think way too many users are trying to configure clover by hand and messing up and that's the root of many problems. It might help guides here as well to try and really push clover configurator in the guides on clover. It's mentioned here and there but not really stressed as "do it this way to save yourself SERIOUS hassle" with screen shots and big download links to it.

you can create a bootable USB with this command
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

then install chameleon on your usb

(the name of you usb need to be "Untitled")

you can use hand methods in clover too. You don't need automation in patches. I use a custom DSDT with clover

I think ultimately chimera/chameleon was just more fool proof. clover takes more user configuration and that's where most less experienced users run into issues, which is why chameleon/enoch may be more favorable for them. In general that's just install and use.

I think clover would go further if it actually shipped with clover configurator. I think way too many users are trying to configure clover by hand and messing up and that's the root of many problems. It might help guides here as well to try and really push clover configurator in the guides on clover. It's mentioned here and there but not really stressed as "do it this way to save yourself SERIOUS hassle" with screen shots and big download links to it.

I totally agree with you.

I created a Clover test USB (as suggested on here) to see if my working Yosemite / Chimera machine would boot with Clover but I had major graphics problems (that no one on here could help me solve) this has convinced me to stick with my current configuration until Clover installations are easier to install by us 'not so experianced users'

Thanks to all who put the effort into making this happen. I've been checking on this site periodically hoping for just such a tool to appear. I was disappointed when I learned that Chameleon was initially abandoned as I had always known that clover came with a bit of a learning curve. I'm primarily a OSX desktop user, not a hobbyist/tinkerer with any interest in fiddling/hacking system files for the sake of learning the inner workings of operating systems. I want it to just work and I'm distracted in life to deal with troubleshooting and experimentation when all I want is for the OS to just work. Chameleon has helped me achieve this for years, and a full failed day attempting to get clover to work was frustrating enough that I decided that I was going to simply leave my system in a permanent 10.3.4 state.

My macbook is running El Capitan and I've yet to notice any major advantage being on 10.4 - however when I find the time I'll check out this enoch tool. So yes, I really really appreciate the work that has been put into this. I'll report back one day if this works.

I've been using Yosemite+Chimera for about a year and never had a problem. And now I am used to the "involved" update process.

But I hear you say clover is more modern and etc. So in real working scenario (eg doing photoshop, video editing) clover will make the OS faster?

btw I hope this Chameleon for El Capitan works. I tired everything but I never could install El Capitan on my x79 machine. Will try when I get home :D

in real working scenario (eg doing photoshop, video editing) clover will make the OS faster?
Nope.

So... Has someone tried this chameleon with el capitan? It works? Any issues (with drivers maybe or supported devices)? Can we update with any trouble? And also will our old kexts work with new os (graphics, ethernet, audio)?

Nope.

So... Has someone tried this chameleon with el capitan? It works? Any issues (with drivers maybe or supported devices)? Can we update with any trouble? And also will our old kexts work with new os (graphics, ethernet, audio)?
Yes , works great but Clover is far far better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back