Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Install Nvidia Web Driver for Build ID 17G66 (BRAND new High Sierra build???)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I struggled to install my NVIDIA GT710 in December on 17G66 build. I finally found the following Git page and it worked!

In addition, I have NVIDIA web driver enabled in my config.plst along with nvda_drv=1 and agdpmod=ignore. To get audio, I enabled 'change HDAS to HDEF' and updated my lilu and AppleALC kexts to the latest versions dropped in 2021.

I struggled to install my NVIDIA GT710 in December on 17G66 build.
I replaced my GT 740 with a Gigabyte GT 1030. Uses less power, gives better performance, but only if the GT 1030 is the DDR5 memory version (not the DDR3). I'm still using that computer ("Mini-ITX 1" listed below). Results are attached.
Graphics Comparison.jpg

A few days back I had my system crashed, upon doing a new fresh install I got to build id 17G66. I got not find the Nvidia driver for it.

lucky for me that i had TIME Machine, upon restoring it the build-id is 17G6030, and I was able to re-download the driver. need to update using Download Security Update 2019-002 (High Sierra)
which is ID 17G6030, and you can redownload the Nvidia web driver 387.10.10.10.40.124.

For A new fresh install:

****it is critical to t do an update of combo update version 2019-002 to change build-id from 17G66 to 17G6030, this will allow downloading the Nvidia web driver for the video card. any above this update you will crash or you need AMD card.***

Last edited:
If you are using gibMacOS to download your 10.13.6 image simply make sure to press M and set the highest OS version to 10.13. Then the last choice will be 10.13.6 17G6030 so no need to anything extra when you complete the install before the web drivers.

If you aren't using gibMacOS then start.

Last edited:
As you can see from this tonymacx86 page, the latest version of High Sierra is 17G14042, and the correct nVidia Web Driver for that version is 387.10.10.10.40.140.

As far as I know, no later version of the MacOS supports nVidia Pascal-architecure graphics cards, since the Web Driver versions have to match the MacOS builds, and Apple has not authorized nVidia's Web Drivers for Mojave, Catalina, or Big Sur.

Apple has not authorized nVidia's Web Drivers for Mojave, Catalina, or Big Sur.

This is a nonsense.
If Epsom make a new scanner or Wacom a new graphics tablet etc then they make the drivers available with the product and on their respective websites, they do not have to wait for Apple authorisation.

The fact that there are no Nvidia Web Drivers post High Sierra is because Nvidia choose not to create/release them.

The fact that there are no Nvidia Web Drivers post High Sierra is because Nvidia choose not to create/release them.
From what I have read, it's a little more complicated than that, and not entirely nVidia's choice. Interaction between the MacOS and graphics drivers requires some cooperation, and that has been blown away in favor of AMD. Whose "fault" it was has not been made public, AFAIK. In any case, Hackintosh builders/users have lost the nVidia graphics card option, post High Sierra.

From what I have read, it's a little more complicated than that, and not entirely nVidia's choice.
Mostly perpetrated by disgruntled Nvidia users and conspiracy theorists who have yet to provide a single verifiable source.

Mostly perpetrated by disgruntled Nvidia users and conspiracy theorists who have yet to provide a single verifiable source.
Apple to nVidia: "We're going with AMD in the future... no more nVidia graphics cards for us."
nVidia to Apple: "Well then, you certainly won't need any new Web Drivers, I guess."
Apple to nVidia: "You are so right; so long, nVidia."
nVidia to Apple: "See ya."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back