Contribute
Register

Install Monterey on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 (HD4000 patching required)

Good advice. Instead of relying on the "experts" to do it for you, become the expert yourself.
Yes indeed! And I guess it's all part of the process of becoming a 'hackintosher'. Since debugging is such an intensive task, and bugs differ between system to system. Obviously we will try to help when needed, but it's better that the other party understands what's going on.

Good advice. Instead of relying on the "experts" to do it for you, become the expert yourself.
I love the advice that I get here about always striving to increase my own knowledge and abilities, rather than just a copy and paste approach that relies on others. This is always great advice for just about anything in life, I think.

I'm certain that I can find all of the differences between the two config plists, but deeply understanding which are meaningful differences regarding the specific case that I am asking about.... With my current knowledge, I have no way of knowing that without maybe a boatload of trial-and-error. (which is exactly what Hackintoshers need to do right? Right...) But even with a trial and error experiment (trying each difference 1 by 1 and booting each time to see what happens), if the solution is the combination of several different entries, my trial and error experiment would likely fail and not heed a good result or any self discovery:banghead:. :lolno:

A config plist expert may be able to just glance at the two lists and immediately understand which differences are the meaningful, salient ones that enable a Monterey boot, after the graphics have been patched. I can boot Monterey and patch the graphics on the 7010 Optiplex using the config plist from here. Problem solved!!! Yay! Copy and Paste worked for me! Yippee! But no, no, no.... what I want to know is why, and what specifically about that config plist enables a Monterey boot with patched graphics. It's beyond my skill and understanding currently.

Over the next 6 months, I will certainly heed the advice of @gatorback and @Middleman as a startline for a trial-and-error experiment. Thank you both for pointing me in a direction.

PS - "A config plist" that I uploaded here booted Monterey successfully after being patched with OpenCoreLegacyPatcher app for real macs--I didn't try the Chris1111 app with that config plist yet. If anyone wants to join me in trial-and-error, I will upload the full EFIs. :)

Last edited:
I'm certain that I can find all of the differences between the two config plists, but deeply understanding which are meaningful differences regarding the specific case that I am asking about...
A few things to address first. Each config.plist is from a different OC version. One is newer than 0.7.5 and one is older. It's best to make a note of which version it is something like this:

Screen Shot 11.jpg

Also, look at the differences in NVRAM boot-args. What do you see there that is different between the two ? Any thing in the config.plist can be Googled to learn more about it. For example:

amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1 What the heck is that doing ?

AMFI (Apple mobile file integrity) is the macOS kernel module that enforces the code-signing validation( Gatekeeper) and the library validation (whether an app is signed by Apple). After disabling GK and LV, AMFI is still checking the signatures of every app that is run, and will cause non-Apple apps to crash when they touch extra-sensitive areas of the system.

Disregard, I found it this time.
Thanks,
ordering as soon as I can find my.....
How did it go with the RP WX2100 that you purchased ? I found a great deal on a new one. Using it with Catalina currently. It's really well built and quiet. Gets a thumbs up from me. Metal scores are respectable, much higher (12,000 higher) than what HD4600 on my Dell 9020 can achieve.

WX 2100.jpg

Last edited:
If any Optiplex SFF owner wants to upgrade from their iGPU HD4000 graphics, I've never seen a better price than these for $39.99. The fan is small but it stays quiet. Can't really hear mine over the other fans in the SFF.

There are quite a few of them left, 59 as of 8-19-22. Being cleared out obviously. Other sellers are asking $150 +
Screen Shot 20.jpg

Click on the Used and New box to find the 40 dollar price.

Screen Shot 21.jpg

Last edited:
If any Optiplex SFF owner wants to upgrade from their iGPU HD4000 graphics, I've never seen a better price than these for $39.99. The fan is small but it stays quiet. Can't really hear mine over the other fans in the SFF.

There are quite a few of them left, 59 as of 8-19-22. Being cleared out obviously. Other sellers are asking $150 +
View attachment 553467

View attachment 553472
grrr…. I wished that they shipped to Japan….

Same for me, it's still listed at 159 bucks in europe lol.
Can I use this with the original PSU, or is a new PSU needed?
Also, I'm guessing some modifications will have to be made to the configplist + EFI replacement?

Last edited:

View attachment 553467

View attachment 553472
High @trs96 Can you post a picture of this gpu installed on you sff if you can.
Are you still in Catalina? Have you tried Monterey on this or heard anyone who have used on successfully on Monterey?

Thanks a lot.

Can you post a picture of this gpu installed on you sff if you can.
I'm not using mine currently. It should work with Monterey with no major problems. Hd4600 does have Monterey support if you use Macmini7,1 SMBIOS.

In my Opinion it would be better to buy the WX4100 which has native support. I've not been impressed by the performance of the WX2100 model with GPU spoofing. Only one DP port works. It doesn't really look that great on a 4K display. It's probably better to pay a little more and get a 4100 instead. They go for about $80 on Ebay.

Last edited:
I'm not using mine currently. It should work with Monterey with no major problems. Hd4600 does have Monterey support if you use Macmini7,1 SMBIOS.

In my Opinion it would be better to buy the WX4100 which has native support. I've not been impressed by the performance of the WX2100 model with GPU spoofing. Only one DP port works. It doesn't really look that great on a 4K display. It's probably better to pay a little more and get a 4100 instead. They go for about $100 on Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/204190280053?
Tnx. I guess i'd go with 4100 instead as I need 4 monitors.

Back