Contribute
Register

Install Monterey on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 (HD4000 patching required)

Amazon tried searching the vendors name still no luck!

Has to be on the Amazon.com USA site.

Screen_Shot_7.jpg

Down to 18 of these left from Wazno Electronics, Amazon seller. Won't see these prices after they're gone. Other sellers are asking $200 plus. An insane amount of money for an entry level workstation card that's 4.5 years old that is no good for crypto mining or even gaming. Makes no sense.
Screen Shot 7.jpg

Screen Shot 11.jpg

Last edited:
I've continued to experiment with root patching and Monterey on the optiplex 7010. I tried someone else's config.plist, and it will boot Monterey after the graphics are patched.

Two attached files below:
A config.plist - using this will boot Monterey after the graphics are patched.

B config.plist - using this will boot Big sur fine, and it will install Monterey, but it will not boot Monterey after the graphics are patched. (serials were entered at the time of booting)

I don't know the reason why, and if anyone can tell with one quick look, I'd be really curious to know why "A" will boot Monterey on the 7010 with patched graphics, but "B" will not. What is the reason why......

Attachments

• A config.plist - will boot Monterey with patched HD4000 graphics.plist
    21.1 KB · Views: 86
  • B config.plist-Monterey crashes after graphics are patched.plist
    19.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I've continued to experiment with root patching and Monterey on the optiplex 7010. I tried someone else's config.plist, and it will boot Monterey after the graphics are patched.

B config.plist - using this will boot Big sur fine, and it will install Monterey, but it will not boot Monterey after the graphics are patched. (serials were entered at the time of booting)

I don't know the reason why, and if anyone can tell with one quick look, I'd be really curious to know why "A" will boot Monterey on the 7010 with patched graphics, but "B" will not. What is the reason why......
I would suggest that you provide a third file with a list of differences. This will make it easier for the .plist expert to find the answers you seek. Please continue to post your successes in the forum: I have several Optiplex 7010s and would love for all of us to enjoy the craft

Can anyone confirm that the AMD Radeon Pro WX 2100 2GB:

1) will fit in the Optiplex 7010 'Desktop' Form factor (click here)?
2) works 'out of the box' with Monterey?
Hard to believe there are still some refurbs left on Amazon for 69 USD. It doesn't have OOB support, requires some device id spoofing and a specific WEG kext to work. The WX4100 does have native support in Monterey. The WX2100 doesn't. It will fit in the 710 SFF, DT or MT. It's a single slot, LP card.

I have not tried the method in this video. I've never owned the WX2100. Hoping that someone reports back on this method. Does it work ? What is shown in the video can be adapted to OC as well. Clover isn't a requirement.

Attached is the Lilu and WEG kexts to use and the OC method. These are from the author of the video.

Attachments

• Radeon WX 2100 Opencore.zip
    2 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:

LoveAppleTimmu,

You could try using something like OCCompare to see the differences for yourself.
Click on the green CODE button and download the script in ZIP format and then uncompress the files. You can run the script from your Mac Terminal. Select one as the sample plist and one as the user plist to compare. > https://github.com/corpnewt/OCConfigCompare

I would suggest looking at areas such as the PCIRoot section with the AAPL-ig-platform-id value and device-id keys (which is actually your Intel iGPU settings). Also check the CPUID section under Kernel as well as the NVRAM boot-arg - the boot-arg has to be the same ones that Chris1111 posted on his HD4000 Github page.

Also make sure that the Opencore version you are running is the same version for both config files. If the sample config.plist was made from an earlier or later version of Opencore to the one it should be running there will be inconsistencies in them that prevents them from booting up properly and these will be shown up as errors or missing keys at the start of your Opencore bootup sequence. Missing keys is often a telltale sign you are using a later version of Opencore with your config.plist than the one it was built for.

Back