Contribute
Register

Install Monterey on the Dell Optiplex 7010 and 9010 (HD4000 patching required)

Ok here as you requested. Clover EFI and the how too.
Sorry it was a little rushed forgive any typos. Syntax etc.
(if anyone works out how to install onto a 9010 directly) let someone know.
thanks.
not sure why you think you need to have laptop kexts for

also using clover configurator to generate a config,plist is not ideal

Just a quick note to all those that followed my 7010/9010 Optiplex guides for past versions of macOS.
I can't give any recommendation to use this guide/EFI on your Dell. Many problems I see that would need to be worked out, corrected first. I won't be posting any Monterey guide for the 7010/9010 models. Big Sur will work and needs no patches for HD4000 to function fully. IMO Big Sur is the end of the line for these. If you simply download and install the default Monterey Wallpaper and run Big Sur you won't even be able to tell the difference between the two. Best solution for those with FOMO or "fear of missing out" on macOS Monterey.

If only we could be so lucky to have a guide like trs96’s Catalina 7010/9010 for big sur and beyond!! No doubt, this guide, as it is, will probably lead to a janky set-up for anyone that follows suit, but I applaud assa92004 for giving it a try and experimenting with this. No FOMO here, mate—just curiosity, a little adventurous PC spirit, and a desire to keep my Dell a viable customac for as long as possible. ;)

No matter how much any of us like macOS Catalina, time will turn the page on Catalina before it turns the page on Monterey. The developers at OpenCore Legacy patcher have demonstrated that ivy bridge Macs are still capable of running Monterey with patching, so there is still hope for the 7010 DellCustoMac beyond Big Sur--maybe jankily, maybe not..... I wonder if assa92004 got the USB3 ports working on his set-up?

Last edited:
so there is still hope for the 7010 DellCustoMac beyond Big Sur--maybe jankily, maybe not..... I wonder if assa92004 got the USB3 ports working on his set-up?
The Dell 9020 USFFs are really inexpensive right now. They can run Monterey with HD4600 and no graphics patching is necessary. Try to price out a mini-ITX build on Amazon or Newegg. You can't come anywhere close to $169 with specs as good or better than these. Any good small mini-ITX case is 80 to 100 dollars. Then spend 40-50 on a Pico PSU and you're already close to the total cost of a 9020 USFF without even considering the CPU, Ram, motherboard and drive.

I've tested Monterey on mine and there are still bugs in the OS itself but everything works as it does in Big Sur. I'm using Macmini 7,1 SMBIOS and some people go with iMac 17,1 instead, either is fine. The Kepler graphics support has been pulled from Monterey so anyone that depends on cards like the GT 710 should keep that in mind.

The USFF form factor is called Dell Optiplex 9020. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078RK79PW/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
I can highly recommend these for those that want a mini hackintosh running Big Sur or Monterey. Definitely install a SATA 2.5" SSD and upgrade the ram to 16GB if you want the fastest performance in a small package. These are the most common specs you'll see for one of these refurbished 9020 USFF PCs.
  • 4th Generation Intel Core i5-4570S 6M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz Processor
  • 1600 MHz 8GB DDR3 Memory (2 x 4GB) These have two slots for ram
  • 500GB SATA Hard Disk Drive
  • Optical Drive
  • 4x USB 3.0
  • 2x USB 2.0
  • 2x DisplayPorts
NOTE: You must avoid the Core i3 versions of these as they all have HD4400. Not working reliably with macOS. The i5-4570S and i5-4590S are the two best CPU choices.

Last edited:
Just for fun, I tried to get Monterey on my 7010. With opencore, I was able to get it to boot into 12.1 just fine, but I haven't figured out these graphics acceleration patches yet. I disabled SIP fully, taking cues from the Dortania guide and the link below. SIP was fully disabled from the csrutil status command before I installed the patches.

I tried patching with open core legacy patcher once and then with the [patchHD4000] app from here: https://github.com/chris1111/Patch-HD4000-Monterey, but both resulted in an unbootable system that demanded Monterey be re-installed from the recovery... After it re-installs, again it boots just fine with my open core EFI--I just can't enable these graphics acceleration patches.

I am total beginner with open core, so if anyone has any ideas, attached is my EFI.

I am still very happy to use the 7010 with Catalina and now even Big Sur, but it's fun trying to figure out what tweaks will get HD4000 enabled on the 7010 in Monterey.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1034.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpg
    661.3 KB · Views: 73
For just $69 USD you can get an AMD WX2100 on Amazon.com.
This is great information, but you've forgotten the law of I.Y.B.F.I.J! (ImYourBiggestFanInJapan)...... If you ever find yourself in Japan, trs96, beer and sushi is on me!

That GPU looks like a bargain for people in the US or Canada.... I'll poke around out here in Japan over the next year for a compatible, low-cost GPU that will fit inside the 7010 DT with a 240 watt psu.....

In the [Device Properties] section of Dortania's guide for Ivy bridge, there is mention of how to set-up an iGPU for driving the displaying and then another point about how to set-up an iGPU for headless configuration with dGPU driving the display. For Monterey, can we use a headless configuration even though intelHD4000 isn't supported? Or do we have to /can we disable intelHD4000 in the bios if we experiment with Monterey on the 7010 and a compatible dGPU? I'm such a beginner with these things, so I apologize in advance if these seem like stupid questions to the Hackintosh titans on this page.....

For Monterey, can we use a headless configuration even though intelHD4000 isn't supported? Or do we have to /can we disable intelHD4000 in the bios if we experiment with Monterey on the 7010 and a compatible dGPU?
If you're just learning OpenCore, try installing Big Sur first. Get a good working OC EFI folder fine tuned for macOS 11 before you try Monterey and all the patching required to make that work on an Ivy Bridge system. OC is the future so it's good to learn it now. No better way to learn than by going through the whole process, making mistakes, figuring them out and correcting them.

Last edited:
I could not find one at that price!
Anything AMD that is relatively new (2016 or newer) usually costs $200 or more these days. $69 is a liquidation price. They won't last long.

Screen Shot 22.jpg

Back