Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX 480
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

Is it possible to use Unibeast to install 10.8.5 on a USB 3.0 flash drive?

I have a 32GB USB 3.0 flash disk that I'm hoping I can install ML on using Unibeast. Is this possible? I realise that the USB 3.0 kexts will not be available during the standard installation but can I insert them into the Extra folder on the Unibeast installer USB to make the installation go a faster? I used a USB 2.0 flash disk as a trial run and it took FOREVER to install since you can't customize the installation any more and deselect language and printer driver options. Ball ache!

The goal here is to install 10.8.5 to the USB 3.0 flash disk, install multibeast and then get working on everything else so when I want to use OS X I can just boot from the USB 3.0 flash.

Am I crazy?

Please let me know if any of you have done this before.

Cheers :)

Hi guys,

Is it possible to use Unibeast to install 10.8.5 on a USB 3.0 flash drive?

I have a 32GB USB 3.0 flash disk that I'm hoping I can install ML on using Unibeast. Is this possible? I realise that the USB 3.0 kexts will not be available during the standard installation but can I insert them into the Extra folder on the Unibeast installer USB to make the installation go a faster? I used a USB 2.0 flash disk as a trial run and it took FOREVER to install since you can't customize the installation any more and deselect language and printer driver options. Ball ache!

The goal here is to install 10.8.5 to the USB 3.0 flash disk, install multibeast and then get working on everything else so when I want to use OS X I can just boot from the USB 3.0 flash.

Am I crazy?

The latest Unibeast includes support for USB3 with GenericUSBXHCI.kext. Sometimes it works, you could try it and see what happens.

Thanks RehabMan, will do. So I assume this means my OP question is possible? I can install and boot OS X from a USB drive?

Thanks RehabMan, will do. So I assume this means my OP question is possible? I can install and boot OS X from a USB drive?

You could try it. Note: even USB3 flash drives are still pretty slow.

Am I crazy?

It is much easier to clone your install to a USB and run MultiBeast to make it bootable than it is to install to a USB.
The system will be slow and video will lag, so don't bother with really large files unless you have a lot of time.

Well I didn't have an existing installation to clone. The idea here was to keep the Windows 8 factory install the way it is and then boot into OS X when needed from the USB 3.0 disk.

I successfully accomplished this last night with full QE/CI graphics albeit without the wifi and card reader working (which are both intel so no go there). I am also having problem with the battery and other sensors.

Granted, it's a little slow to boot but once it's fully booted it handles just fine off of the USB 3.0 drive (64GB). Keep in mind, which I didn't mention at the beginning of this thread, that it's a Lenovo T530 laptop. It's not a powerhouse desktop machine where I need utmost performance.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back