Contribute
Register

Install Mavericks (+ server) on HP Mediasmart EX490

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, it worked. I took out the hard drive and connected it to another Mac. Booted in and just used the app store update to Yosemite. Used MultiBeast afterwards with the normal drivers and voila: a working Yosemite installation on an HP Mediasmart EX490.

Excellent! Thanks for being the guinea pig. Amazing little hackintosh this is -- from Lion to ML to Mavericks to Yosemite. I'll be sad when it finally stops working with an OS X upgrade.

Great value for money! I think I even started out with a Snow Leopard install ;-)

Thank you all! I followed the instructions as laid out here and was able to set up Yosemite (+ Server) on my upgraded EX490. Woohoo!

Im close to installing Yosemite on my EX490, and add OSX Server if needed.

My main goal for this is to take advantage of itunes and home sharing to watch my dvd rips on my non-jailbroken ATV2. That would work right?

I installed the following:

1) Yosemite on EX495 - As advised by the gurus in this forum
2) OSX Server 4 after that. Directly from app store on the HD server
3)Apple Remote Desktop. Directly from app store on the HD server

Checked and it works awesome. Happy until now with my Plex on it and this is serving well. I have a few Q's though:

-H/W raid recognition doesn't seem to be complete. The OS is not able to recognize the eSATA RAID capability of EX495. Not sure if i have to add drivers from somewhere.
-Ram upgrade is preffered. I think Yosemite itself being a heavy OS the lag can be bettered by addition of RAM. Can i add 8GB of a single memory module? this being now a 64 bit OS will it need some tweak on the BIOS for this?
-Bios Upgrade. Is it preferred at all ?
-LED Lights blinking - All lights are green, but one irritating indicator constantly blinks though i think it is happy ...
-OS X Advantages - Not yet investigated but need to explore.

Any help from the Gurus will be appreciated.

Thanks, RN

Has anyone else experienced issues with screen sharing over a local network? Every time I reboot my iMac and try to connect to the Mediasmart (both Yosemite), it pops up as a "normal" pc in the finder. Screensharing with the Mediasmart isn't possible. Neither when I try to use Screens. I can still connect via Chrome remote desktop app, but it's a bit strange. When I reboot the Mediasmart again, it comes up as a regular mac.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2015-01-27 om 20.25.00.png
    Schermafbeelding 2015-01-27 om 20.25.00.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 342
Got Yosemite installed. Next is to install Yosemite Server. Anyone have any updates on the testing hardware? RAM upgrade? Anyone tried the esata port? Best RAID setup? I installed a Core2Duo years ago. Now plan on going for a quad core.

Hi guys,

I'm running into an issue when installing Yosemite on the Mediasmart EX490. I have done this a number of times on my 2 Mediasmarts, but after a crash I'm runnin ginto a kernel panic. Installation goes fine when the HD is connected to my iMac. reboots normally into OS X, but after running Multibeast (Easybeast +RealtekRTL81xx driver) the reboot hangs. I've attached the a screenshot. It's a 1 Tb drive.

Hope anyone has an idea....

I guess now the question is whether anyone's installed El Cap ;)

So I was able to install El Capitan onto EX490 (Upgraded CPU and RAM). Just plugged a hard drive into the computer and installed it normally (USB + Unibeast) after install I ran Multibeast 8.0.1 Legacy Mode and just added the Realtek RTL81xx Driver. Just plugged it back into EX490 and started up and it is now fully functional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back