Graphics
Nvidia Quadro K4000 3072 MB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have thrown my win 8 disc out the window, and reinstalled my Ubuntu 14.04 OS. I am currently waiting the arrival of snow leapord dvd by post.

reading the various posts here regarding dual boot, I am beginning to think that I may have to uninstall Linux, then instal Mac per the guides and then reinstall Linux. I hope not cos that's another load of downloads to do, and my isp will cut me off again, (or shape me so slow a one legged, blind, geriatric pigeon would get information quicker!)

Can someone enlighten me to the correct area or posts that might save me from the above horrible prospect!

many thanks.

Oh I have Linux / installed on ssd, with /home on a 3tb Hdd and a spare 3Tb Hdd waiting to take Mac.

Thanks beelzebozo

One thing confuses me, currently the system boots from the ssd for Linux. If I remove that drive and the one for my linux data, and use the remaining 3tb drive, after I have partitioned it for the install, then how does the eufi know what to boot? the ssd or the hdd?

Like in a dual boot system with windows, GRUB2 handles the dual options, giving the user a menu choice at the Boot screen to choose either windows or Linux, following that guide how would that occur in this scenario?

Sorry if I am being dumb but its been a bit of a nightmare this last week.

Thanks

Thanks beelzebozo

One thing confuses me, currently the system boots from the ssd for Linux. If I remove that drive and the one for my linux data, and use the remaining 3tb drive, after I have partitioned it for the install, then how does the eufi know what to boot? the ssd or the hdd?

Like in a dual boot system with windows, GRUB2 handles the dual options, giving the user a menu choice at the Boot screen to choose either windows or Linux, following that guide how would that occur in this scenario?

Sorry if I am being dumb but its been a bit of a nightmare this last week.

Thanks

For dual booting OS X and any Linux flavor you have to remember only one thing if instaling on separate frives and you want to use Chimera as your boot loader, and that is to do a manual setup of your Ubuntu install partitions so you can specify the root as the partition to install Grub2.

Since you have already installed, and probably selected the default install (erase everything and install Ubuntu) at the install screen, you have a choice here. You can purge Grub2 from your Ubuntu and re-install it to root ( see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing ) or you can use Clover to boot with. See the Clover guide under the Guides buton. Clover can boot Linux with Grun2 installed to the HDD MBR.

When installing SL, since I see a 4770 in your profile I assume you have Ivy Bridge hardware (How about creating a sig? Board, CPU, gfx card is all you need to put in it and it makes it much easier to help you when you post ALL of your important hardware.) Remember the boot partition must be less than 1Tb if using Chimera as a boot loader.
Given that you need to use iBoot Ivy Bridge - see http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leop...x-10-6-snow-leopard-ivy-bridge-based-pcs.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back