Contribute
Register

Install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on Ivy Bridge Based PCs

Urgh... Ok so Ivy Bridge with Snow Leopard, this is the step I need to pass right now... To get to Mountain Lion.

I have a Z77X-UP5-TH motherboard... and a GTX670. But I'm using the integrated video card for SL.

SL is currently installed and I can boot in it using the new iBoot made for Ivy Bridge system.

What I can't do is boot into SL without iBoot. I'm always stuck on the Apple white startup screen. There is probably something wrong with my MultiBeast settings but I can't figure out what...

Can someone post a list of what I need to check or uncheck when configuring MultiBeast? Could it be a setting I need to fix in the bios? I used the information here : Bios part for the Bios setup + MultiBeast

Thx for the new iBoot, works great... Now if I could just boot normally into SL without iBoot it could update itself to ML...

Thx all!

Urgh... Ok so Ivy Bridge with Snow Leopard, this is the step I need to pass right now... To get to Mountain Lion.

I have a Z77X-UP5-TH motherboard... and a GTX670. But I'm using the integrated video card for SL.

SL is currently installed and I can boot in it using the new iBoot made for Ivy Bridge system.

What I can't do is boot into SL without iBoot. I'm always stuck on the Apple white startup screen. There is probably something wrong with my MultiBeast settings but I can't figure out what...

There is nothing wrong with MultiBeast. You did not pay attention and understand tonymacx86 when he said in preface to the Ivy Bridge iBoot "... official kernel support and CPU support is not in the OS at all."

and after the 4 steps:

All without doing any post-installation- just booting directly from iBoot Ivy Bridge. The ultimate goal being Mountain Lion.

There is nothing wrong with MultiBeast. You did not pay attention and understand tonymacx86 when he said in preface to the Ivy Bridge iBoot "... official kernel support and CPU support is not in the OS at all."

and after the 4 steps:

All without doing any post-installation- just booting directly from iBoot Ivy Bridge. The ultimate goal being Mountain Lion.

Thx for the heads-up... You were right, just downloading Mountain Lion did the trick. I thought I needed to update SL to ML before creating the USB disk.

But, I did hit another wall. I can boot boot from UniBeast now but only in safe mode (-x). Any other flag just bring me to a white screen, with or without the rainbow spinning wheel. -v doesn't say anything because it stops booting right after so I have no clue why it stops.

Booting in safe mode works for the installation and the first boot of the actual ML installation but it always doesn't work when I'm not in safe mode. ML version is 10.8.2

After booting in safe mode I can apply MultiBeast but some of the settings I check can kill my installation and to only way to repair it to re-install everything...

Kinda stuck...

Here is what verbose has to say. Looks like a BlueTooth controller issue. (BT now seems fine...). Maybe the error is the Unknown CPU model thing...

The board is Z77X-UP5-TH, the supplied bluetooth + wifi card is connected on the board via the USB plug ONLY, because people said the bluetooth is working. I didnt expect the Wifi to work this is why I got a TP-Link card too.

Attachments

• IMG_3135.jpg
    IMG_3135.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,662
Excuse me my ignorance, but why would anyone be running SL at this point, unless its SL server?

Because I have some expensive Photo conversion hardware that needs rossetta for its software.....and I am too cheap to shell out a lot of money to upgrade it.
I just swap the hard drive when I want to use snow leopard.

Out of curiosity, Can I run SL on a Z77 board with a 2600k chip on it? Thats still Sandybridge right??

Because as stated in the original post:

Power management, chipset, things like sleep- won't ever work. ;)

I'd want to have a partition of SL on Ivy Bridge for running PPC apps from time to time, not as a main OS. I currently have an 1156 machine, but this would come in handy in a few years when I next upgrade, so thanks!

Yesterday November 11, 2012, I finally got Snow Leopard running on my rig, custom PC, first here is my spec:

Intel CPU, i5 3.3ghz
Motherboard Asus P8
Memory corsair 16gb
SSD corsair 128 gb
HDD TB Seagate
PSU GS700
DVD
Blu-ray LG BW
Corsair Case
Keyboard & Mouse mcally
Snow Leopard Full version DVD 10.6.3

It took alot of research I started off purchasing a fake SL dvd, cost $20.00 it never worked, then a boot up disk that never worked, after six more months of research I Finally purchsed a new original SL, about three weeks ago, I started getting leads on this web site. two days ago I got the ultimate tip. this what you need
1. Install and configure system using iBoot + Multibeast

2. Run UpdateHelper
3. Reboot
4. Run 10.6.8 Combo Update
5. Reboot
6. You will need the new Ivy Bridge iBoot disc for booting up. for i3, i5, i7 processors

Note: What's causing the kernel panie? Mac OS X doesn't recognize Sandy Bridge systems. as every one was shipped with a special version of 10.6.7. Since we use either the 10.6. or 10.6.3 retail DVD. Then try to update to 10.6.8 it doesn't know what to do with certain configurations as it's completing the update, and creashes.

I would like to send my video of good my system booted up with Windows vista and Mac OSX Snow Leopard perfectly after all most a year trial and error. It work for me. never have to use a boot disc again to get started.

This wil sound strange but..... i just got a new MBP 2.3 ivy [ apart from my lovely Hack 2600k@ 4.2ghz ] i use 10.6.8 ,and in my MBP i can't.... can i use this kernel trick in my MBP 2.3Ghz? thnx!

I just built my system and am trying to install SL using this iBoot version but having no luck. I've got an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 mono with i5-3570K CPU, one stick of 4gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3, Sandisk 240GB SSD, using on board HD4000 graphics for video. I updated Bios first time I booted up. I set the SATA to ACHI, set DVD drive to first boot device, couldn't find optimized defaults in this Bios...

So I boot up with iBoot disc and it goes into the boot screen. On that screen is "iBoot-Ivy-Bridge" disc icon on the left, "New Volume" icon on the right. Do I put the SL install disc in at this point? I've tried that, and if I hit F5, the iBoot icon goes away and it just shows the new volume icon. I hit enter and it gives me a BOOTMGR not found error and all I can do is reboot. If I put the SL disc in and just hit enter on the iBoot icon, I get the "You system must be restarted" message, and all I can do is reboot. If I don't put the SL disc in (retail copy, BTW) and just hit enter on either icon, I get te same errors. Can't figure out what I'm missing... Any help?

Thanks!

Ed

Mac OS X doesn't recognize Sandy Bridge systems. as every one was shipped with a special version of 10.6.7. Since we use either the 10.6. or 10.6.3 retail DVD. Then try to update to 10.6.8 it doesn't know what to do with certain configurations as it's completing the update, and crashes.

There was a special 10.6.7 update for sandy bridge macbooks. (search this site for "10.6.7 Early 2011") the update only installed the sandy bridge kexts on Macbooks, so you need to use multibeast to set you system definition to Macbook and re-start before the updater will work.

Please see this page for details:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/mac-os-x-1067-update-for-early-2011.html

This is similar to the MacMini tweak you use to get your HDMI port to show.

j

Back