Contribute
Register

Install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on Ivy Bridge Based PCs

Hello,
Let me introduce myself I'm new to the forum and wanted to assemble a team with 3770K and AMD 7950. What happened I have to follow for the installation and need for software drivers?

Hello,
Let me introduce myself I'm new to the forum and wanted to assemble a team with 3770K and AMD 7950. What happened I have to follow for the installation and need for software drivers?

Hi Satanasa,

Welcome to TonyMacx86,

I will give you some information about the site to have a look over so you understand how things work. :)

http://www.tonymacx86.com/basics/

You will find there is a lot of information here on the forum boards : http://www.tonymacx86.com/forum.php

Have a look around and enjoy the site :thumbup:

Adrian B

Hi Adrian,
Thank you very much for your prompt response. I've been reading but I have a motherboard MSI Z77A-G45 motherboard Is this compatible?
Greetings and thanks.

Hi,
I'm attempting to install SL/ML on my new GA-Z77-UP4-th; I've been trying to get my hackintosh up and running for weeks... First I couldn't get the iBoot loader imaged to a USB drive... Then I purchased a compatible BD-ROM for my mobo but couldn't burn iBoot from my MacBook Pro (bad CD laser... before this the old one had a bad DVD laser, so I just can't win for losing on optical drives in this thing). I borrowed a friend's PC and burned iBoot 1.1.0 on CD.

Voila! I could boot into the iBoot screen. Upon refreshing with the SL disc and hitting ENTER I inevitably run into a kernel panic before the installer can launch. I have followed the UEFI configs to the letter, double and triple checked everything, I currently just have the LG BD-ROM and my target hard disk plugged in to SATA-II ports (tried SATA-III initially, but read somewhere that those don't work; both behaved the same).

I have a pic of the kernel panic. I also tried the boot flags for PCI and Graphics disable and for safe mode.

Next I ran across someone who said they could download ML from their old MacBook Pro by booting it from the iBoot CD. Didn't work, presumably because of my bad CD burner. So I'm still stuck. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

photo.jpg

Upon seeing something mentioning RealTek up there... should I try disabling my onboard audio?

Edit: Oh wow, I am a moron... I unplugged the front panel audio and it worked like a charm. Sadly it doesn't recognize my HDD now (I think it died on me in that hour time span of me trying to sort this... Doesn't seem to be spinning up at all.)

All of my initial 5 hours of SL installation problems were caused by an incompatible Blu-ray drive. After I put an old DVD drive on the system, SL install went fine, although I never did get it to boot from a hard drive. Never got KP's, though. Once I got SL running, it only took 10 more hours to get ML up and running. Good luck with your HDD. I never broke one during all this hackintosh stuff, but 1 of 6 is limping. Took me 12 hours to get it well enough to work again, by reformatting it in Windows.

edit: I burned iBoot and Ivy Bridge iBoot in Windows 8.

where it has the section you need to go to for sandy bridge installation with a snow leopard install. do I need to do this if im using an ivy bridge??? or just dont worry about that section of the guide and follow as is...

Is there a way to copy the CD contents to a USB instead and boot from there? I'd rather leave a USB plugged in and simply choose it from the boot menu than dig up the disc every time I felt like jumping into SL (because I like to check stuff out). If That is possible, then what about being able to copy the files to a UEFI partition and boot from it? Given that being possible and I do the same with ML/Mav, then would that even work without confusing the theoretical bootloader we've created (since it seems the SL loader has different stuff)?

I know I'm stretching it at this point, but figured I'd ask while it's on my mind.

Is there a way to copy the CD contents to a USB instead and boot from there? I'd rather leave a USB plugged in and simply choose it from the boot menu than dig up the disc every time I felt like jumping into SL (because I like to check stuff out). If That is possible, then what about being able to copy the files to a UEFI partition and boot from it? Given that being possible and I do the same with ML/Mav, then would that even work without confusing the theoretical bootloader we've created (since it seems the SL loader has different stuff)?

I know I'm stretching it at this point, but figured I'd ask while it's on my mind.

If you wish to use Snow Leopard then you need to use Sandy Bridge hardware (motherboards and CPU), it isn't supported on newer hardware. Apple released Lion, then Mountain Lion, before mavericks to support more modern hardware.

You can install Snow Leopard to a HDD or SSD on supported hardware.

Adrian B

If you wish to use Snow Leopard then you need to use Sandy Bridge hardware (motherboards and CPU), it isn't supported on newer hardware. Apple released Lion, then Mountain Lion, before mavericks to support more modern hardware.

You can install Snow Leopard to a HDD or SSD on supported hardware.

Adrian B

It actually runs fine on my Ivy, but I have to boot from the Ivy-boot disc. I was just curious if there was a way to take the CD and turn it into a bootable USB instead as it would be less likely to get damaged.

No problemo. You can do it in Disk Utility from any os from 10.6 up, but it's a bit cack-handed. Far easier is to use the brilliant Mike Bombich's CarbonCopyCloner (shareware, but free & unrestricted for 30days nowadays, I think) - three clicks and an admin password later, and you are set. You'll need an 8gig usb stick though.
Cheers

Back