Contribute
Register

Install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on Ivy Bridge Based PCs

i feel like im so close i get the apple icon but it prompts me to reset my computer im looking to upgrade to mavericks regardless im using 10.6.3 please help

thank you in advance

im coming to the same conclusion ...will mountain lion work?

I can tell you that my Z77-DS3H Rev 1.0 board with the i3-3225 IB CPU worked in Snow Leopard and in Mountain Lion both, but I do recommend that you go to Mtn Lion. Good Luck.

Good Job!!! Great result for sure.:lolno:

Hello,

Have you guys share your real name, location on apple site? You know...when you are logging in, and
under "my apple ID", personal information.

Hi I am trying to install SL on my system and have come across a problem:

when i I got to the installing onto the GUID partition made called Snow Leopard I think I may have missed the option the uncheck additionals, the install got to 23 minutes remaining stage and the screen went black. it then returned me to the black page with the tonymacx logo and was presented with either IBoot Ivy Bridge or Snow Leopard. That seemed odd to me that the install appeared to cut short. I don't have the functionality at this point to use a mouse or directional keys to navigate to the Snow Leopard partition. For all I know it's installed just fine but I can't select it. Then I thought about temporarily ejecting the iBoot disc so only Snow Leopard remains but the iBoot disc needs to be loaded at that stage.

Confused.com!

If anyone is able to help with this I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Alex

Hi I am trying to install SL on my system and have come across a problem:

when i I got to the installing onto the GUID partition made called Snow Leopard I think I may have missed the option the uncheck additionals, the install got to 23 minutes remaining stage and the screen went black. it then returned me to the black page with the tonymacx logo and was presented with either IBoot Ivy Bridge or Snow Leopard. That seemed odd to me that the install appeared to cut short. I don't have the functionality at this point to use a mouse or directional keys to navigate to the Snow Leopard partition. For all I know it's installed just fine but I can't select it. Then I thought about temporarily ejecting the iBoot disc so only Snow Leopard remains but the iBoot disc needs to be loaded at that stage.

Confused.com!

If anyone is able to help with this I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Alex

Are you using a USB keyboard & mouse? If you are make sure that they are connected to a USB 2 port on the rear of the computer. DVD drive must be an internal type (as opposed to a USB external drive). Check the UEFI/BIOS settings from this thread:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/bios-uefi...gigabytes-7-series-lga-1155-motherboards.html

This is an overview of how this process should work. iBoot is required to boot Snow Leopard on your hardware - you will need to update to Lion or Mountain Lion at least for your hardware and to be able to boot direct from your SSD. Do not use MultiBeast on a Snow Leopard install on your hardware. :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC1jhHyoDBU

Last edited:
For those of you looking to run Snow Leopard on Ivy Bridge CPUs, know that official kernel support and CPU support is not in the OS at all. As a matter of fact, the 2nd gen Sandy Bridge CPUs were only supported starting with 10.6.8. Users have had mixed results using the (now ancient) iBoot Legacy for a fresh install, as shown in the Simplest Mac OS X Installation Guide. So we made a new boot CD just for Ivy Bridge CPUs called iBoot Ivy Bridge.
Use the default iBoot + MultiBeast guide, but simply substitute iBoot Ivy Bridge for the default iBoot. With this boot CD, I was able to achieve the following without access to a computer running OS X.

1. Install 10.6 Snow Leopard
2. Update to 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
3. Download Mountain Lion 10.8 from App Store
4. Create UniBeast USB to install Mountain Lion 10.8

All without doing any post-installation- just booting directly from iBoot Ivy Bridge. The ultimate goal being Mountain Lion. :thumbup:

iBoot for Ivy Bridge 1.0.0 is now available in tonymacx86 Downloads.

Leave your results here- we'll be working on this some more. :thumbup:

Credits:

• Legacy kernel - posted by stinga11 on osx86.net- created using the Legacy kernel source originally created by naw com, qoopz and kaitek.
  • iBoot 3.3.0
  • Special thanks to MacMan for his work on Chimera 1.11.1
Will this work on Sky Lake/Northbridge configuration?

Last edited:
Back