Contribute
Register

Install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on Haswell Based PCs

So I reattempted the install after reformatting my hard drive again since the last time I already had windows on the drive. With a clean hard drive I was able to move the mouse around more but it still wasn't smooth. It still seemed to hitch a lot. I was able to get past the language select screen this time and a little further. The only problem I from there was that my keyboard wasn't being recognized so filling out anything that was needed to continue prevented me from reaching the desktop. Any clue as to whats causing the hitching and why my keyboard won't detect?

I bought from the CustoMac Pro list and I'm having a real hard time getting it to work everything worked up until I installed Multibeast then I could no longer boot up :(

Anyone got any non offensive and helpful advice? :)

Would an upgrade to Mavericks be beneficial or do you suggest upgrading to Mountain Lion instead?

I bought from the CustoMac Pro list and I'm having a real hard time getting it to work everything worked up until I installed Multibeast then I could no longer boot up :(

Anyone got any non offensive and helpful advice? :)

Would an upgrade to Mavericks be beneficial or do you suggest upgrading to Mountain Lion instead?

You won't be able to run Snow Leopard permanently on your Hardware. In Mavericks your system will be fully supported.

Many thanks Wild Willow you've given me a little more hope...

I'll be off and buy myself a copy of Marvericks then :)

You can't 'buy' mavericks, it's only available through the App Store. That's why you need Snow Leopard running and updated to 10.6.8 to get access to the app store. You don't have to worry about a perfect setup or multibeast with SL, just running with internet working and you're good to go! :angel:

To all

"And Now for something completely different."

A note of information has been found that may help many of you who are struggling w Snow Leo installs on haswell hardware.

Especially the part that your attempting to get or connect to the Apple App store and download the Mavericks OSX so you can make a USB thumb drive.

Some of us have multiple networks like a wifi card and the dedicated NIC on the motherboard.
these situations can cause OSX SL to change the order of the Network (eth0).

Suggest you use this boot option switch as one of our posters did - EthernetBuiltIn=Yes as one of the additional boot switches.

Such as PCIRootUID=1 and GraphicsEnabler=No

Here is the link and its post #53.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leopard-desktop-support/108927-ep45-ud3p-system-build-help-6.html

And of course you will need to connect to the NIC port and run hardline wire to the router.

Much respect Tonymac. This was the solution that enabled me to update up to 10.6.8. Now I all I gotta do is make a bootable Mavs USB installer.

Can I use this method even when using an Intel Xeon e3-1230v3 since it doesn't have internal graphics or should I get an i7? I will also buy a GTX 770 or a r9 280x but I think that either aren't supported by Linux

Ok! Finally with so many comments all around the web I can't really get my answer!

Do Snow Leopard run correctly on Haswell based PCs or it's just a way to get to Lion OSX throught SL?

I'm looking for building an Haswell CustMac and I need to make run for a while SL. I have some program's licenses running only with SL. When I update those licenses to newer I'll also uptade the system to Lion or Mavericks.

There's not any way to make SL working with Haswell?

Thanks in advance
Alberto Carlassare

Ok! Finally with so many comments all around the web I can't really get my answer!

Do Snow Leopard run correctly on Haswell based PCs or it's just a way to get to Lion OSX throught SL?

I'm looking for building an Haswell CustMac and I need to make run for a while SL. I have some program's licenses running only with SL. When I update those licenses to newer I'll also uptade the system to Lion or Mavericks.

There's not any way to make SL working with Haswell?

Thanks in advance
Alberto Carlassare

You will need Mavericks to run and support Haswell. There is no native Kernel support in both Snow Leopard and Lion. You can install Mountain Lion 10.8.5 as this was the last update with a Kernel that supports Haswell natively.

Back