Contribute
Register

Install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on Haswell Based PCs

Hi everyone,

Before you begin reading, I've tried looking for a solution for HOURS before posting here, but I couldn't find anything that meets my exact issue, and the workarounds I found here for similar issues didn't work for me.

I've been working with installing Hackintoshes for some time by now on different systems and virtual machines, yet non of them was fully compatible with OS X. And that's where I decided to go and implement the Buyer's Guide and purchased the main hardware that is 99% compatible.

I've built a CustoMac Mini Deluxe with the following hardware:

• Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi
• WiFi card: Broadcom BCM94322HM8L, for replacing the Intel® one that comes with the board.
• Processor: Core i7-4790
• RAM: G.Skill 2x8GB (16GB)
• Hard Drive: Samsung 256GB SSD
• PSU: Enermax Modu82+ 525W
• Optical Drive: Samsung DVD Burner (cheap one)
• Graphic card: My predecessor HIS (ATI/AMD) 5770 1GB
• Case: Lian-Li PC-TU200 Silver

I've followed the instructions to installing Mac OS X 10.6 step-by-step using iBoot-Haswell 1.0.1, along with the Snow Leopard 10.6 installation disc, and when it finished installing I updated it to 10.6.8 via the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Combo Update along with MultiBeast 3.10.1. Everything as written here http://tonymacx86.blogspot.co.il/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html.

Graphic, Audio, WiFi... All these seem to work fine. Though I still work on solving why the wired-LAN doesn't work - Although it indicates in green in OS X that it's connected, internet doesn't work and no IP is pulled from my router, which works fine with all other devices that connected to it.

But the main reason I'm posting here is that no matter what I (or think that I) tried, I'm not able to boot the system by itself, unless I use iBoot in the CD drive. When iBoot launches, I select the OS X partition and it boots without any problem. But when I try to boot the system by its own it hangs at the Apple logo screen (the circle animation doesn't even show - It's just the apple logo).

I tried fixing the boot issue with MultiBeast. Each time before starting over again, I deleted the "Extra" folder as mentioned in the instructions in order to start from clean. Then from MultiBeast I selected "EasyBeast install" and "System Utilities - (Rebuild Caches & Repair Permissions)". Besides that I tried many flags during post like "-v", "-x", and even "GraphicEnabler=No", but non of these seem to work. =\ After trying "-v" and "-x" during boot many code lines appeared and after about 30 seconds a blank black screen. And that's how far I managed to go.

Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks!

Oh and BTW, attached some pics of my Hackintosh build. Hope you'd like it.

-goldeng

Attachments

• goldeng's Hackintosh - Outside.jpg
    goldeng's Hackintosh - Outside.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 348
  • goldeng's Hackintosh - Inside 1.jpg
    goldeng's Hackintosh - Inside 1.jpg
    872 KB · Views: 351
  • goldeng's Hackintosh - Inside 2.jpg
    goldeng's Hackintosh - Inside 2.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 322
  • goldeng's Hackintosh - Back.jpg
    goldeng's Hackintosh - Back.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 308
But the main reason I'm posting here is that no matter what I (or think that I) tried, I'm not able to boot the system by itself, unless I use iBoot in the CD drive. When iBoot launches, I select the OS X partition and it boots without any problem. But when I try to boot the system by its own it hangs at the Apple logo screen (the circle animation doesn't even show - It's just the apple logo).

I tried fixing the boot issue with MultiBeast. Each time before starting over again, I deleted the "Extra" folder as mentioned in the instructions in order to start from clean. Then from MultiBeast I selected "EasyBeast install" and "System Utilities - (Rebuild Caches & Repair Permissions)". Besides that I tried many flags during post like "-v", "-x", and even "GraphicEnabler=No", but non of these seem to work. =\ After trying "-v" and "-x" during boot many code lines appeared and after about 30 seconds a blank black screen. And that's how far I managed to go.
And that is as far as you are going to get since there is no support for Haswell hardware in the SL kernel - you should be running Yosemite or El Capitan with Haswell hardware. So, download the El Capitan upgrade app from the Apple Store and create a UniBeast USB and install El Capitan.

Hi everyone,

Before you begin reading, I've tried looking for a solution for HOURS before posting here, but I couldn't find anything that meets my exact issue, and the workarounds I found here for similar issues didn't work for me.

I've been working with installing Hackintoshes for some time by now on different systems and virtual machines, yet non of them was fully compatible with OS X. And that's where I decided to go and implement the Buyer's Guide and purchased the main hardware that is 99% compatible.

I've built a CustoMac Mini Deluxe with the following hardware:

• Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi
• WiFi card: Broadcom BCM94322HM8L, for replacing the Intel® one that comes with the board.
• Processor: Core i7-4790
• RAM: G.Skill 2x8GB (16GB)
• Hard Drive: Samsung 256GB SSD
• PSU: Enermax Modu82+ 525W
• Optical Drive: Samsung DVD Burner (cheap one)
• Graphic card: My predecessor HIS (ATI/AMD) 5770 1GB
• Case: Lian-Li PC-TU200 Silver

I've followed the instructions to installing Mac OS X 10.6 step-by-step using iBoot-Haswell 1.0.1, along with the Snow Leopard 10.6 installation disc, and when it finished installing I updated it to 10.6.8 via the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Combo Update along with MultiBeast 3.10.1. Everything as written here http://tonymacx86.blogspot.co.il/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html.

Graphic, Audio, WiFi... All these seem to work fine. Though I still work on solving why the wired-LAN doesn't work - Although it indicates in green in OS X that it's connected, internet doesn't work and no IP is pulled from my router, which works fine with all other devices that connected to it.

Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks!

Oh and BTW, attached some pics of my Hackintosh build. Hope you'd like it.

-goldeng

UPDATE:
I've followed the instructions for upgrading to OS X El Capitan from here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html and the system now boots normally without iBoot. :)

The only problem I have now is with the LAN and Audio drivers.

The Gigabyte H97N-WiFi motherboard I have has:
LAN1: Intel® GbE LAN
LAN2: Realtek Atheros® GbE
Audio: Realtek® ALC892 audio chip.

LAN1: Installed from MultiBeast El Capitan drivers: Realtek ALCxxx->AtherosE2200Ethernet v2.0.1
LAN2: Installed from MultiBeast El Capitan drivers: Intel->AppleIGB v5.2.9.4
Both didn't work. I'm currently using the compatible Broadcom WiFi chip. But would prefer a wired connection.

Audio: Installed from MultiBeast El Capitan drivers: Realtek ALCxxx->ALC892 but no audio nor speaker icon at the top bar. Under Utilities->System Information->Hardware->Audio the Realtek chip seems to be recognized though..

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

-goldeng

Many thanks for replying. :) I've been just updating my post after upgrading to El Capitan.
Can you assist regarding LAN and Audio drivers? I'm having some difficulties with the MultiBeast drivers. I've wrote all the details and whatever I tried in the updated post. Thanks!

Many thanks for replying. :) I've been just updating my post after upgrading to El Capitan.
Can you assist regarding LAN and Audio drivers? I'm having some difficulties with the MultiBeast drivers. I've wrote all the details and whatever I tried in the updated post. Thanks!

UPDATE:
Managed to make LAN and Audio work using different drivers from within MultiBeast.

Tested Final Cut Pro, Logic, my licenced Adobe Master Collection CS6 ME, Microsoft Office 2016, Parallels Desktop 11 - everything works out of the box!

Thanks so much all tonymacx86 members and the hackintosh community! :)

All the best,
goldeng

Hello, everyone I have a big problem at the beginning, i have kernel panic with iboot for haswell on

i7-4790
h97m-d3h
gigabyte gtx 750ti

it says: " Unable to find driver for this platform acpi..". How can I fix?

Hello, everyone I have a big problem at the beginning, i have kernel panic with iboot for haswell on

i7-4790
h97m-d3h
gigabyte gtx 750ti

it says: " Unable to find driver for this platform acpi..". How can I fix?
Your GPU is unsupported in OS X 10.6 - remove it and use the CPU graphics to install.
try boot-arg -v -x acpi=off

Hi all,

Following my posts from Dec 2015, I tried upgrading my graphic card in my Hackintosh from ATI Radeon 5770 to NVIDIA GTX 770, but the system encountered problem to boot, even when I tried booting it from the UniBeast bootable thumb-drive. So I tried putting everything back the way it was but my Hackintosh still didn't boot. =\ So I decided to reinstall everything from scratch. But this time I already had the El Capitan setup with the UniBeast on a thumb-drive in hand, so I thought things should go faster. But I was wrong - here's what happened:

El Capitan setup was done and I then rebooted my system with the thumb-drive again according to the guide to be able to boot into the OS and to continue with the final steps with MultiBeast. When the system first booted (before applying any drivers from MultiBeast) The system booted very fast (11 seconds) an everything worked right out of the box: Internet through LAN and WiFi via the Broadcom BCM94322HM8L that I replaced on the motherboard, except audio (ALC892) which still needed another driver. In addition, I'm using Dual-Monitor setup and both monitors recognized perfectly without any problems.

I run MultiBeast (version 8.0.1 which worked for me the last time) and selected the Quick Start -> UEFI quick mode. The appropriate bootloader 'Clover v2.3k r3320 UEFI Boot Mode' got selected automatically and I then proceeded to 'Build' and hitted 'Install'. When the system restarted, it appeared like the booting time became MUCH slower (37 seconds to over 1 minute sometimes), and once it finally managed to boot into the OS, the left monitor displays a mess static/snow effect which I really can't describe - so I'm attaching a picture of the problem for you to see what I mean.

Now please note that this problem occurs only after the FakeSMC.kext has been installed. So there's nothing wrong with my monitors or with the cables. I also tried switching cables and to switch between the monitors to see what happens and the 'snowy' effect appears to happen on the monitor that recognized by the OS as the secondary monitor. When I'm trying to boot back from the thumb-drive everything seems to work fine. What am I doing wrong?

I also tried to use the latest MultiBeast - El Capitan 8.2.2 but the issue still occurs.
By the way, the ALC892 audio driver from MultiBeast 8.2.2 never worked for me. So when I want to enable audio I have to install the same driver from the MultiBeast 8.0.1 which appears to work without any problem.

Now one thing I noted is that when the system boots when I'm using the thumb-drive, the 'About This Mac' shows the following info:

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)
Processor 3.6 Ghz Intel Core i7
Graphic ATI Radeon HD 5000 1024 MB

But after applying MultiBeast the iMac model changed to something else (which I don't really care about), but what looks like the problem is that it recognizes the graphic card as 'Graphic ATI Radeon HD 5770' (the exact model I have though) - And not 'HD 5000' as the series, which appears to work when booting from the thumb-drive.
I'm not sure if that can point anyone to the problem but that's all I got. I'm trying to figure out how to solve this irritating problem for so long but I think that I need some help. :) So if anyone have some experience with such problem and could assist it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
goldeng

Attachments

• Second Monitor Problem after MultiBeast.jpg
    Second Monitor Problem after MultiBeast.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 301
Whoever read my previous post yesterday, I finally managed to understand what went wrong and how to solve it. So if anyone encountered the same problem, here's what you did wrong and what you have to do in order to solve this:

When I first managed to install El Capitan on my Hackintosh back on December, I did it with only 1 screen attached. Only later on I hooked another monitor and everything seemed to work fine. But the thing is, if you install the system while 2 monitors are connected, you'll end up with the problem I described above. So to prevent it, install only with 1 monitor attaches, and connect the second monitor (or more) only AFTER patching the system with MultiBeast, and after you confirmed that it boots from the hard drive without any problem.

Now (finally!!) the 'About This Mac' doesn't show the ATI Radeon 5770 anymore (which appears to cause the problem) but the ATI 5000 series - the same that appears when I boot from the rescue thumb-drive. I'm attaching a screenshot, along with another one of my 'Extensions' folder for you to see what kexts I'm using with this specific hardware. Hope it helps someone. :)

-goldeng

Attachments

• About This Mac 01 - Overview.png
    About This Mac 01 - Overview.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 379
  • About This Mac 02 - Displays.png
    About This Mac 02 - Displays.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 772
  • Extensions Folder.png
    Extensions Folder.png
    142.1 KB · Views: 326
Hi Tony,

Thank you very much for your kind consideration for those who may need Snow Leopard installed on Haswell to deal with different situations. I have tried iBoot Haswell, but hanged in the language choosing phase. Both the keyboard and mouse were plugged in different USB port (either USB 3 or USB 2), but got no luck. Not sure if my system is not compatible. Hope there would be somebody could help.

MB: Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H
CPU: i5-4430
Display: HD4600
To Lawrence and the the entire community. I am experiencing this very problem as well. Any insites?

Back