Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
broadwelliboot.png

For those of you looking to run Snow Leopard on Broadwell CPUs, know that official kernel support and CPU support is not in the OS at all. As a matter of fact, the 2nd gen Sandy Bridge CPUs were only supported starting with 10.6.8. Users have had mixed results using the (now ancient) iBoot Legacy for a fresh install, as shown in the Simplest Mac OS X Installation Guide. So we made a new boot CD just for Broadwell CPUs called iBoot Broadwell.

Use the default iBoot + MultiBeast guide, but simply substitute iBoot Broadwell for the default iBoot. With this boot CD, I was able to achieve the following without access to a computer running OS X.

1. Install 10.6 Snow Leopard
2. Update to 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
3. Download OS X Yosemite 10.10 from App Store
4. Create UniBeast USB to install OS X Yosemite 10.10

All without doing any post-installation- just booting directly from iBoot Broadwell. The ultimate goal being OS X Yosemite.

iBoot for Broadwell 1.0.0 is now available in tonymacx86 Downloads.

This is great to see ... Gonna try it on the Dreaded Z10PE-D8 board and see how it goes. Are there any new boot args that we need/might need to know about ?

Martin

Hi, I have a question about this topic... Can I install Snow Leopard on a Broadwell CPU for actually use it. I mean, I need to build a machine with an older OS (from Snow Leopard to Mavericks), on the newest possible CPU.
I read that Mavericks wouldn't run on a CPU newest than Hasswell... but can I run Snow Leopard. Or it will be bugs and glitches everywhere?
Thanks,
J

This method of installation is a simple method designed to get you up and running with a supported version of macOS for Broadwell hardware. It isn't designed to to be bootable and you will have issues.

To run Snow Leopard the newest hardware that will support this version of OS X is the Sandy Bridge hardware which is cheap to buy on the used market. You may also find older Apple hardware that runs Snow Leopard very fast is getting cheaper to source.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...versions-of-os-x-using-older-chipsets.141225/

Yes, I suspected that.

I think the best way I have is to run Mavericks on Hasswell.
Thanks,
J

Back