i7-3840QM
Graphics
HD 4000
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Good news for old-school guys:

It's possible to install iTunes 10.7 back on Yosemite. I hated iTunes since version 11, because it looks weird and my very complex structure of playlists didn't work anymore. So I searched a bit to find a way to reinstall iTunes 10 again, and there is a tiny little bit what wasn't described.

First deinstall iTunes by deleting it, using AppZapper or similar. Quit 'iTunes Helper' before deleting, you have to use Activty Monitor for this. Download iTunes 10.7 from here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1576

I don't know if you can install it directly, I used Pacifist 3.0.10 - newer versions shouldn't work. There should be some requests, always select 'Replace'. After it is finished, you should be able to start iTunes. Important: If you want to use older iTunes plugins (f.e. DockArt) you have to run in in 32bit mode.

That somds so easy. But there is a little quirk. If you are coreecting the file permissions, the ones of iTunes will be corrected, too. No big deal, it seems. But iTunes isn't starting anymore, it also didn't crash, it directly quits. A look in the Console shows that you have no permissions to use some files. Changing them works, but only until the next repair permissions action.

The solution is very easy: Reame iTunes. For example, iTunez, iToons or whatever. I'm using ' iTunes ', with a space at beginning and the end, so it looks as original as possible. When correcting disk permissions, iTunes isn't found anymore and it works always. Voilá!

Greets, naquaada.

Thanks a lot for this. I was using a virtual machine with ML just for this purpose.

The reason being the lack of sideways vertical column browser.

naquaada -

I was thrilled to find this, and followed the directions right after I installed Yosemite. iTunes worked great, but I had a lot of crashes on Yosemite. Having not used Yosemite without installing iTunes 10, I dunno if the change-out caused the crashes. I consulted with a friend who works in Apple Care, who said there should be no effect because the system isn't connected to iTunes. But then I consulted with a friend who's a Genius, who said, well, the iTunes store and App store are related, and system upgrades come through the App store, so screwing up iTunes connections might well affect the system.

:roll2:

Anyway - my point: now I've up'd to El Capitan and I'm scared to even try this.
1) Did you have any problems using Yosemite after installing iTunes 10?
2) Have you installed it on El Capitan?
Thanks!

Hi Naquaada,

I have installed iTunes 10.7 on El Capitan, and so far it works. But i cannot change the iTunes.app file name into " iTunes.app " How did you do that?

Greets tm-nl

Hi Naquaada,

I have installed iTunes 10.7 on El Capitan, and so far it works. But i cannot change the iTunes.app file name into " iTunes.app " How did you do that?

Greets tm-nl

Great to hear it is working in El Capitan also! I hope one day they fix itunes and make it much more user friendly i.e. more like Itunes 10!

I'm assuming you can't change the name of the app because of SIP (System Integrity Protection) also known as rootless which was introduced in El Capitan. You would need to disable this before you could change the name of the app.

I'm wondering does the Itunes 10 install get messed up if you update OSX? Obviously you would need to avoid any itunes updates.

Cheers! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back