Contribute
Register

Install Guide : Intel Haswell NUC Core i5 (D54250WYK) V3 (Yosemite)

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh know i did the new apple update which came out today

my nuc is stick in a reboot loop

it wont boot into login screen any more

boots to mac icon screen where i normally press enter

all its doing is reboot every time any ideas please

Thats because the update includes a new kernel which replaces the existing one.

You could try simply copying the original kernel back to your NUC just to get it booting again, although I havent had a chance to try this myself yet.

Once I take a look at it I will post an update with a new kernel.

You would be wise to wait in future before applying untested updates.

:thumbup:

Thats because the update includes a new kernel which replaces the existing one.

You could try simply copying the original kernel back to your NUC just to get it booting again, although I havent had a chance to try this myself yet.

Once I take a look at it I will post an update with a new kernel.

You would be wise to wait in future before applying untested updates.

:thumbup:

I thought is was safe

as per this thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/os-x-updates/159127-yosemite-security-update-2015-002-a.html

Thank you a thousand times! Did a nice clean install, and everything works "as advertised."

What I'd like to know how to do - and I'm sure it's probably simple... how can I set the NUC to do a boot right into Yosemite, and bypass the first boot screen - I need (if possible) to be able to get the NUC up and running without a keyboard available. Or if the power fails, when it re-boots it goes right back to work...

Thanks again!
r.

Thank you a thousand times! Did a nice clean install, and everything works "as advertised."

What I'd like to know how to do - and I'm sure it's probably simple... how can I set the NUC to do a boot right into Yosemite, and bypass the first boot screen - I need (if possible) to be able to get the NUC up and running without a keyboard available. Or if the power fails, when it re-boots it goes right back to work...

Thanks again!
r.

Searching will help you.

*cough*Quiet Boot*cough*

Hi there! So after reading this site and giving it some thought last week, I decided to take theleap and bought the following at my local MicroCenter:

• Intel NUC D34010WYK (someone nabbed the last D54250WYKH before I got there)
  • 2x8GB Crucial DDR3L RAM sticks
  • A Samsung 840EVO mSata SSD
  • running on an ASUS VN247 1080P HDMI Display (only adapter is HDMI full-size to miniHDMI)
  • No wifi. GigE Only

I followed this guide to the letter.

In short, there are two issues I'd really like to address:

1. Something is definitely funky with the video or display driver. The screen flickers on mostly white screens, I lose the tops of dialog boxes, there are artifacts, video is very choppy, etc. I know this box runs the Intel 4400 graphics, not 5000 like the D54250. I've looked at many pages on this site and others; I tried to fix with the FakePCIID method (link below) but had no luck.
  2. The boot process itself is super-fast - 10 seconds max, but post-login after reboot is abysmally slow - it can take several minutes to complete the first successful login.

Re: the video, I tried to use FakePCIID w/o success. (from this page..http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...tel-hd4200-hd4400-hd4600-mobile-yosemite.html). though I did not get as far as the framebuffer patch (looked really complicated).

Intel HD4400 Mobile [8086:0a16] using FakePCIID

I wish I knew whereto look to diagnose this stuff; I would be happy to review logs, etc and post the results.

This site is a tremendous resource - thanks for all the work!

Hi there! So after reading this site and giving it some thought last week, I decided to take theleap and bought the following at my local MicroCenter:

• Intel NUC D34010WYK (someone nabbed the last D54250WYKH before I got there)
  • 2x8GB Crucial DDR3L RAM sticks
  • A Samsung 840EVO mSata SSD
  • running on an ASUS VN247 1080P HDMI Display (only adapter is HDMI full-size to miniHDMI)
  • No wifi. GigE Only

I followed this guide to the letter.

In short, there are two issues I'd really like to address:

1. Something is definitely funky with the video or display driver. The screen flickers on mostly white screens, I lose the tops of dialog boxes, there are artifacts, video is very choppy, etc. I know this box runs the Intel 4400 graphics, not 5000 like the D54250. I've looked at many pages on this site and others; I tried to fix with the FakePCIID method (link below) but had no luck.
  2. The boot process itself is super-fast - 10 seconds max, but post-login after reboot is abysmally slow - it can take several minutes to complete the first successful login.

Re: the video, I tried to use FakePCIID w/o success. (from this page..http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...tel-hd4200-hd4400-hd4600-mobile-yosemite.html). though I did not get as far as the framebuffer patch (looked really complicated).

Intel HD4400 Mobile [8086:0a16] using FakePCIID

I wish I knew whereto look to diagnose this stuff; I would be happy to review logs, etc and post the results.

This site is a tremendous resource - thanks for all the work!

There are 2 very straight forward issues here.

1. You have bought an NUC that is not covered by the guide. The hardware requirements are listed at the top of the guide and are specific. The NUC you bought has different hardware; which I do not own and can not test.

2. You did not fully apply the instructions for setting up the HD4400 as described.

Your description of the 'choppy' graphics is typical of incorrect graphics configuration.

You should either return your NUC and wait for the correct model, or be prepared to follow the graphics instructions to the end, in the hope that it will get your NUC working properly.

There is also a Clover based guide, but that again is for the i5 model, not the i3 one.

Assuming either guide will 'just work' with a different model was wrong.

And while I have not been able to look at it, I suspect your DSDT will have differences. The SSDT file will definitely be different since you have a different CPU.

If I was you I would try and do a basic install, upto and including Chimera but nothing else. You will need to try a different IGPlatformID, even if just to get it running temporarily. Do not install the SSDT or DSDT files. The NUC should run without them until you get everything else configured correctly.

Starting point then is to follow steps 1 to 7 of the guide, which will get you a most basic installation, then install Chimera, then copy the boot configuration files across; they are smbios.plist, org.chameleon.boot.plist. Then delete HDAEnabler.dylib from /Extra/modules.

Trying rebooting at that point and see what happens. If it reboots and is usable, you have a starting point to complete your specific configuration.

Thank you for the very thoughtful and swift reply! I disn't assume anything; just inexperienced with hackintosh. I saw another user's post about following your guide using the same NUC I bought and having success.

I agree with your advice on all fronts. In particular it did all seem to go downhill when I loaded the wrong-hardware specific MultiBeast package. Prior to that I only had 1024x768 but it seemed very snappy and stable.

If I decide to keep this NUC I'll go another route post step 7.

thanks again for your help - I will post the results.

Hi WonkeyDonkey, will you be supporting the broadwell edition NUC's? I kind of regret buying the broadwell edition and should of sticked with the haswell edition NUC :thumbdown:

I tried clover with 10.10 usb installation, after I click enter to proceed with the install.. It will just go into a black screen and wont do anything..

Hi WonkeyDonkey, will you be supporting the broadwell edition NUC's? I kind of regret buying the broadwell edition and should of sticked with the haswell edition NUC :thumbdown:

I tried clover with 10.10 usb installation, after I click enter to proceed with the install.. It will just go into a black screen and wont do anything..

Well I dont own a broadwell NUC and have no immediate plans to buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back