Contribute
Register

Install Guide : Intel Haswell NUC Core i5 (D54250WYK) V2 (Mavericks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installation Guide : Intel Haswell NUC Core i5 (D54250WYK) V2

Nope I didn't remove the mSata. Chameleon still recognizes the mSata, F10 is the way that I can boot into OSX. I just did a test, removed the SSD and attempted to boot, F10 shows me its seeing the mSata as port3, but it has a Windows Boot Loader on port 3 as well. So when I boot now with the SSD disconnected, I get a windows boot error that the drive is disconnected. So if I do clean install on both, the procedure is that I remove the mSata before installing Windows correct?

Also separate problem WD. I had this issue with my last NUC and thought it was a faulting WiFi/bluetooth chip issue as my mouse would lock. When I was getting my movies setup this morning (adding my movies from my external to my iTunes window so I can stream to my Apple TV) the crash occurred. I did some testing and found that the faulting file was the first HD iTunes Purchased video I was moving. So I did some more testing and found that if I try to play the file in iTunes or Quicktime it will do the same "crash" (where my screen locks and I have to hold down power button to shutdown).

Note: after the first "crash", my magic mouse jumps to the upper left every time i pick it up ever so slightly. I tried to unpair and repair, now it won't connect. The Apple Wireless keyboard continues to work wonderfully...

So basically, I am ready to do a full uninstall of Windows 8.1 and OSX just wondering your thoughts before I proceed. Thank you so much for your input, I really appreciate it.

learjet7

When I hit F10 yes I was seeing both SSD and mSata.

You should not need to re-install Windows. What you are seeing is a common problem and the solution should be to boot into your OS X install with the USB stick and then set the OS X partition as the "active" one. This will then restore the boot process back….

Here is the procedure for making disk active.

When in OS X open Terminal, then:

1. Determine which disk your MacOSX partition is on

Type diskutil list

Verify which disk number holds your partition (disk0, disk1, etc.)

2. Start using Fdisk

Assuming the MacOSX disk is the first disk ("disk0"), then
type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 <== use "rdisk" with your disk number here !!

Ignore the error "fdisk: could not open MBR file ..."

3. Determine which partition for MacOSX needs to be set "Active"

Type p

Verify which partition is for MacOSX (1, 2, 3, etc.)

4. Set the partition "Active"
Assuming it is partition 1, then
type f 1 <== use your partition number here !!

5. Save and exit

Type write

Type y (yes you are sure)

Type exit (to quit)

Reboot.

Nope I didn't remove the mSata. Chameleon still recognizes the mSata, F10 is the way that I can boot into OSX. I just did a test, removed the SSD and attempted to boot, F10 shows me its seeing the mSata as port3, but it has a Windows Boot Loader on port 3 as well. So when I boot now with the SSD disconnected, I get a windows boot error that the drive is disconnected. So if I do clean install on both, the procedure is that I remove the mSata before installing Windows correct?

Also separate problem WD. I had this issue with my last NUC and thought it was a faulting WiFi/bluetooth chip issue as my mouse would lock. When I was getting my movies setup this morning (adding my movies from my external to my iTunes window so I can stream to my Apple TV) the crash occurred. I did some testing and found that the faulting file was the first HD iTunes Purchased video I was moving. So I did some more testing and found that if I try to play the file in iTunes or Quicktime it will do the same "crash" (where my screen locks and I have to hold down power button to shutdown).

Note: after the first "crash", my magic mouse jumps to the upper left every time i pick it up ever so slightly. I tried to unpair and repair, now it won't connect. The Apple Wireless keyboard continues to work wonderfully...

So basically, I am ready to do a full uninstall of Windows 8.1 and OSX just wondering your thoughts before I proceed. Thank you so much for your input, I really appreciate it.

learjet7

I've read a few times there are issues with HD videos in iTunes but I dont use them in such a situation. Its unlikely to be your build that is causing this.

Notwithstanding minihacks posts, if I was going for dual boot I would keep it simple. One disk/SSD per OS, one at a time. When its all done, stick em back in and boot from the OSX disk first.

You should check your system logs regarding bluetooth. They can hold a lot of clues.

Yes iTunes purchased ( or rented) movies will not play on Haswell or Ivy hacks.

You can though using your Apple TV play them via Airplay.

You can also play them from Windows directly.

This is not NUC specific but all hacks Ivy Bridge on.....

Hello,

Thanks for the great Guide but i have a little Problem :(
My Nuc is the same as yours (D54250WYK) but i get the following Error

After the Message:
BootCacheControl...
panic(cpu 2 caller.... a freed zone element has been modified... in zone kalloc.64/SourceCache/xma/xma-2422.100

sorry, i cant make a picture at the moment :(
and sorry for my bad englisch :)

Ok, after the parameter -x maxmem=4096 comes the installation window.
I hope this works now :)

When I hit F10 yes I was seeing both SSD and mSata.

hey learjet7, I have similar problems booting from msata. I can only boot to osx with pressing F10 and then selecting the ssd connected to mSata. If I boot without F10 the bios reports "No Bootdevice found" (no second disk is connected). So this could be a problem of the NUC or firmware 0025. I have a second Nuc running windows 7 which boots fine, but still has firmware 0022 (I guess). My ssd is a crucial 128GB.

Boot issue-Resolved! Minihack I tried your fix but the issue wasn't with the OSX ssd. What it ended up being is when the NUC has efi boot enabled, it was creating my Windows SSD in GPT. This made it so even if I booted into the mSata I still could not boot into Windows as it now required an efi boot.

Took a bit, but I reformatted my USB to be able to boot without UEFI, formatted the Windows SSD in cmd prompt, rebooted, changed bios settings disabling UEFI, rebooted, installed Windows.

Rebooted, re-enabled UEFI boot, rebooted, boots properly to the mSata. When I select the Windows partition not errors booting into Windows 8.

Thank you so much Wonkey Donkey and Minihack for your help. I have not had any crashes yet on this fresh build and Bluetooth and WiFi seem to be working fine.

learjet7

got a "error when starting up the computer" and the following errors.

latest version 25 bios, D54250WYKH, 10.9.3 Mavericks.

Appreciate any help i can get!

photo.JPG

@jackkel - I had the same error and maxmem solved this.
Try UseKernelCache= No maxmem=4096

Ok so far so good. My Installation is complete but i don't get HDMI Sound :(

The HDMI Output under System Report is the same as in the Guide but i dont get the HDMI Output under System Preferences > Sound. Only the Build-In Sounds are listet.

The HDMI Sound is from the hardware working (testet before with OpenElec)

My Hardware:
D54250YWYK (Bios 25)
2 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL9
60 GB mSATA Kingston
Connectet with my Denon AVR-1611 (5 Channel AV Receiver) over HDMI on my Sony TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back