Contribute
Register

Install Guide : Intel Haswell NUC Core i5 (D54250WYK) V1 (Mavericks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Installation Guide : Intel Haswell NUC Core i5 (D54250WYK)

By the way, I never bothered to update bios since version 022. It seems as if there is not really anything to gain from updating and potentially some things to lose. What do you think?

Stability seems to be the main thing. I found it slower and a couple of freezes (I think USB related), but that is more to do with 10.9.2 I reckon.

Its difficult to say for sure since I went to 10.9.2 at the same time as a bios update.

I only found one benefit from the newer bios and even that is not OSX related in any way.

Nice to hear. Is there custom (automatic) fan control in 0022? (You can set minimum and maximum fan speed)
I think i remember it came with 0024.

This was available before 0024.

Look for the bios option for Fan Duty Control. You can set minimum and maximum there, but nothing in between. I have set minimum to 15% and maximum to 100% on mine.

Many thanks for this great guide and conversation. WonkeyDonkey - you, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I am currently tossing up whether to go the i5 NUC route or a customac mini, so this has been a tremendous help in making me want to tinker with both! If I decide on the NUC and come across any new insights, I will drop you a line.

Many thanks for this great guide and conversation. WonkeyDonkey - you, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I am currently tossing up whether to go the i5 NUC route or a customac mini, so this has been a tremendous help in making me want to tinker with both! If I decide on the NUC and come across any new insights, I will drop you a line.

Right now, I would opt for the customac mini, or some variation of it.

Maybe this thread might give you some inspiration.

:thumbup:

Yeah, I know that's the sensible move at the start of a new socket. But the NUC is so cool and tiny! Anyway, thanks for that link. I had seen that build before when I was browsing - great stuff and nice scores! Now that these SFF builds are proving themselves to have a bit of oomph, I can't see myself going back to those old ATX tower dusty, grease-trap monstrosities. Anyway, gents, I'll hijack this thread no more.

Just wanted to mention that after a while away I have now updated to 10.9.2 and did not experience any problem in doing that. I would certainly recommend Clover as a boot loader for this platform to ensure that updates are as trouble free as possible. All I did before my OS update was to update my Clover to the latest version.

By using the attached config.plist and the new method for dealing with updates to AppleHDA.kext no manual patching at all is required.

Performance seems just as good as before too.

:)

I am very interested in this. To do the Clover based install, do I follow this guide:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-how-install-os-x-mavericks-using-clover.html

Is there anything different I need to do to make it work on the NUC?

Right now, I would opt for the customac mini, or some variation of it.

Maybe this thread might give you some inspiration.

:thumbup:
So I have been away from this thread for some time, and today applied the 10.9.2 update, read some earlier posts that said all was good so just went ahead according to the guide.

1. Downloaded all Updated Files including latest MacOSX Installer
  2. Followed the full guide to create a new 10.9.2 USB Installer applied 2x Kernal Modifications and fixes to this installer
  3. From NUC running current 10.9.1 downloaded and ran the 10.9.2 Combo Update
  4. Rebooted into BIOS, update BIOS to Version 44
  5. Rebooted from New 10.9.2 USB Installer
  6. This is where things went wrong. I couldn’t get a clean boot, kept rebooting. I suspect I didn’t apply the patchers correct, or some other error. Thankfully I still had my original 10.9.1 USB Installer
  7. Rebooted from Old (Good 10.9.1) USB Installer
  8. From Terminal copied Mach_Kernal (from the V3.8 Install Pack) to main Boot Drive
  9. Copied two files DSDT.aml and org.chameleon.Boot.plist from Install Pack 3.8 to /Extras folder, the other two files didn’t seem to have changed.
  10. Reboot from Main Drive, ran latest multi beast and re-applied recommended changes from guide

So far so good, I haven't got the audio working still go to work through that bit of the guide, and haven't done any extensive testing except for CPUTest for half an hour without crashes. I have a stable working machine, so far.

BTW. This is what my NUC build currently looks like. Still a work in progress

IMG_2728.jpg

For a couple more pics look click here
http://www.tonymacx86.com/imac-mods/107859-kiwis-next-project-imac-g5-14.html#post780880

Kiwi

Also got around to replacing my wifi card with this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BCM943225HM...US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item540453ae0b

This worked oob for wifi and BT, so a good result.

I have attached the relevant info from the system profiler so you can see the card spec.s of the one I received.

It does not seem to support wake on bluetooth - at least not without there needing to be a tweak somewhere. So this could be a deal breaker if you need that.

EDIT: Wake on bluetooth available after a kext edit - to add the device id 8602 (decimal version of the hex product id for the BT part) into the IOBluetoothfamily plugins. Note - this is probably documented elsewhere on the site, so excuse me if I have just re-discovered what everyone else knows already!

Attachments

• BT.jpg
    BT.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 111
  • wifi.jpg
    wifi.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 110

Hello, and thanks for your efforts. I am setting up a NUC i5 haswell and I am in a trap.
The NUC starts, it flashes the Mavericks disk, tries to start, loads the the tonymax 86 logo and then stops on to a kernel panic screen printed on the logo.

The problem is that I cannot safe boot neither can I boot with no cache, it keeps going there.
Found out that pressing the command key stops the screen to my Mavericks disk, but no use whatever key I hit then it keeps trying to boot and stops

I was trying to set the nuc bios in order to get an internet connection when all this happened.
(I had an ethernet connection with the USB stick but no connection with the Mavericks disk -says cable unplugged- but thta's an other story)

I am now trying to re install nuc bios but no luck

Any fresh idea?

kernel_panic.jpg

this is my first post here, sorry if this is not the right place to post.

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back