Contribute
Register

Install Clover on established Yosemite system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator-10G
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all -

Relative newcomer to Hackintoshes...set up Mavericks on this thing last year but didn't do much on it until now.

I now have a working Yosemite system (except for the fact that I can't authenticate with iMessage and FaceTime). I would like to install Clover (replacing the current Chimera) to allow me to fix the iMessage/FaceTime issues.

I am multi-booting four OSs off the first drive (an SSD), using Linux's GRUB2 bootloader; I am using MBR partition table type, and would like to keep things that way if possible (as apparently Windows 7 won't boot off of a GUID or GPT drive...?). I also have a second drive (HD) with room if needed; it has a second (data) HFS+ partition.

Can I install Clover on this OS X setup without having to start all over again with a fresh install?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all -

Relative newcomer to Hackintoshes...set up Mavericks on this thing last year but didn't do much on it until now.

I now have a working Yosemite system (except for the fact that I can't authenticate with iMessage and FaceTime). I would like to install Clover (replacing the current Chimera) to allow me to fix the iMessage/FaceTime issues.

I am multi-booting four OSs off the first drive (an SSD), using Linux's GRUB2 bootloader; I am using MBR partition table type, and would like to keep things that way if possible (as apparently Windows 7 won't boot off of a GUID or GPT drive...?). I also have a second drive (HD) with room if needed; it has a second (data) HFS+ partition.

Can I install Clover on this OS X setup without having to start all over again with a fresh install?

Thanks in advance!
You have 1 drive with 4 OS's installed? Windows/OS X/Linux and what?
You are using Grub2 to chainload boot Chimera? Or what is your main bootloader?
Please explain your boot process and how you pick an OS to boot.

Yes, Linux (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS), OS X, Windows 7, and (just for laughs) MS-DOS 6

Yes, using Grub 2 to chainload boot Chimera, so Grub2 is the main bootloader, and I just pick one of the four, or a partition on my second drive which contains a system-rescue utility, off the menu. When I pick OS X off of the Grub2 menu, it gives me the Chimera menu if I hit any key, or just boots OS X if I don't.

That's very interesting. trying to build a similar set up with 4 separate OS boot ups as well (2 linux, OS 10.11 and windows 10). would you mind posting a few screen shots of what your boot up screen looks like so I can see how you do it?

curious how this would be affected after you installed clover?

@ shakakoa -

Here you go:
bootldr.jpg

I think I am going to try adding another SSD to the system, formatting it as GPT with a small FAT32 partition in the first position to use as the EFI drive, and move OS X over there, install Clover and continue to boot the other three off the first drive, while booting OS X off the second.

OK...I've set up a second hard drive (actually, an SSD) with a GPT partition table, the appropriate boot partition, and a copy of the OS X (Yosemite) partition with Clover installed.

However, I can't find a way to get Linux' GRUB2 to boot it (it can't find the partition or directory with the boot code - I'm at work now so can't easily post up the GRUB2 syntax I've tried - can't SSH out of the work network; will do so later) . I have tried several different configurations suggested on Linux forums. The only way I can boot OS X is to use the existing Chimera Yosemite partition on the first (MS-DOS partition table) drive.

Anyone have a working GRUB2 configuration they'd care to share? Much appreciated!

Here are two of several configurations I've tried. It either can't find the BOOTX64.efi file, or I get "invalid signature".

Partition 1 on the 2nd SSD is the EFI partition, the second is the copy of the OS X system partition with Clover.

menuentry "Mac OS X" {
insmod hfsplus
insmod part_gpt
insmod search_fs_uuid
set root='hd1,gpt2'
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,gpt2 --hint-efi=hd1,gpt2 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,gpt2 27a2f70f-d4b4-3fbe-b176-72879e951432
else
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 27a2f70f-d4b4-3fbe-b176-72879e951432
fi
parttool ${root} hidden-
boot /EFI/boot/BOOTX64.efi
}

menuentry "Mac OS X" {
insmod hfsplus
insmod part_gpt
insmod chain
set root='(hd1,gpt2)'
search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root 27a2f70f-d4b4-3fbe-b176-72879e951432
chainloader ($root)/EFI/boot/BOOTX64.efi
}

This is the only way for me to boot OS X right now - it chainloads Chimera on the original (1st drive (MBR)) OS X partition.

menuentry "Mac OS X" {
insmod hfsplus
set root=(hd0,2)
chainloader +1
}

Part of the issue MIGHT be that both copies of OS X have the same UUID. I can't find any way to change it on either one, be it with Linux's gparted or OS X's hfs tool.

Any ideas will be appreciated - thanks!

I'm still practicing "Ancient Greek Science" on this, meaning I'm thinking about it and not experimenting. And my thoughts most recently have me wondering if there's anyway to get Clover to point to Grub2 and do the chainload in reverse. My present Grub2/Chimera installation (with as many various installs as you: three instances of OS X, Windows, and Ubuntu) works, but Chimera sees only my OS X installations and Windows, not Ubuntu. I was hoping there might be some way to get Chimera (or now Clover) to point to Grub2 or else see and my Ubuntu installation from the Chimera or Clover menu. I did manage to add OS X to my Grub2 menu, and that works, with the caveat that the Last Selected never records OS X as the last selected boot. Ubuntu and Windows, yes, but not OS X. I suspect that *might* be because my OS X installs are on a separate physical HD from the Windows and Ubuntu installs, and Grub2 is on the same physical drive as those installs. It has all been a bit clunky, chain loading Chimera from Grub2, but workable. The Chimera bit seems likely to be a real thrash. Perhaps eventually just as workable, but I'm not ready to spend the time on it now. But, I hope someone might be able to explain why Grub2 can't save OS X as Last Selected on my system.

Delhi -

Thanks for the come-back. I agree, this shouldn't be so damn difficult. GRUB2 is capable of booting partitions on both MBR and GPT drives, but doesn't want to cooperate with an OS X boot partition on a second disk (it appears that we have very similar setups) - why it doesn't is baffling. As I currently have a bootable Yosemite partition on the MBR disk, I guess I'll have to keep using it for now, but this setup doesn't allow me to use Facetime, as it appears Clover is necessary to allow it to authenticate.

What a PITA.

In any case, I will keep experimenting with it and will post up if I make any progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back