Contribute
Register

Install Bootloader and Extra to EFI Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chimera is my main bootloader however i have been experimenting with Clover

i have Clover installed in my EFI 200 megabyte partition.

I can switch between the two bootloaders in my UEFI BIOS so it's good that i have found a use this hidden EFI space :)

EDIT: My apologies - Post incorrect - Clover was never installed there - I'm not using this method - My mistake

Thanks very much for the guide. It works very well and tidies things up nicely

You can also add a hidden Recovery HD partition, so you can turn on 'Find My Mac' on your hackintosh! It worked on my PC
http://youtu.be/op7euNQmxgg

After adding a new partition "Recovery HD" as OS X Extended Journaled with size about 1GB, Open terminal and paste these lines:

sudo -i
mkdir /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot
hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mountain\ Lion.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg
cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/
cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/.disk_label /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/
cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/boot.efi /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/
cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/kernelcache /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/
cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/
cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/
cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/com.apple.recovery.boot/
umount -f /Volumes/Recovery\ HD/
diskutil list
asr adjust --target /dev/disk0s3 -settype "Apple_Boot"
diskutil list

Article: Install Bootloader and Extra to EFI Partition

I'm wondering:
If we place the stuff on the EFI partition with this method, does it mean that after repairing the OS partition with something like Disk Warrior we won't have to run multibeast again to reactivate boot? :confused:

Not sure- I haven't tried it on a Fusion drive. If you do try it out, let us know!

It works fine on Fusion Drive. I just did a new installation on my system and used the SSD EFI partition.

Would this work with a Fusion drive? Do you have to do it individually for each physical disk?
Fusion Drives would work perfectly with this, there is only one catch, you MUST USE KERNELCACHE.

That is because when you update you kernel cache OS X also updates all the Boot OS X partitions inside each physical disk of your FusionDrive. However, due to that characteristic, instead of installing your boot loader into EFI partition, you can also install it into Boot OS X partition, and make this one active.

Whichever partition you choose, the boot sequence goes like this:
MBR --> Active Partition Loader --> Chameleon / Chimera --> OS X in Boot OS X --> Fusion Drive

The last part is very important to understand, it is OS X that access the Fusion Drive, not Chameleon / Chimera, which means that if you try to use anything INSIDE the Fusion Drive for boot purposes you'll fail miserably.

Thank you so much for this guide! I upgraded to a new motherboard and CPU over the weekend (the ASUS Maximus VI Hero) and was using Clover to boot Mavericks and Windows 8.1 Pro. I don't know if it was Clover or me, but I was having a rough tine with it. Clover seems hyper-sensitive to changes.

For example, simply renaming my Windows volume from untitled to "Windows 8.1 Pro" broke the Windows Boot Process - even though you boot with the "System Reserved" partition. Setting the volume name back to untitled corrected the issue. Also, hiding partitions in Clover also broke the Windows Boot Process. Clover did work for me, but only as long as I didn't change anything - but that's not exactly what a Hackintosh is all about...is it?

With this guide I can go back to what I know...Chimera. Thanks again.

PS: The Asus Maximus VI Hero is a great motherboard to make a Hackintosh with. Everything works, I'm very pleased with it.

Legacy boot with AMD Radeon HD 7xxx and and Rx-200 graphics cards.
Am I understanding correctly that this fixes the white screen problem? No need to sleep trick, or rotation trick, or clover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back