Contribute
Register

Install Bootloader and Extra to EFI Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Install Bootloader and Extra to EFI Partition

Yes- however we are looking into adding EFI install capability to the Chimera standalone installer- which would make this process a bit easier.

Ah, that would be cool! Just followed this guide, works perfectly. It should perhaps say after Step 5, 8, that you will need to type "quit" to save and exit the changes, before you are able to issue the rm command in step 9.
If I wanted to undo this process at some point, would I simply copy my /Extra back to /, wipe the EFI partition, and run Chimera on my boot drive again? Or would I need to make EFI inactive and format it back to FAT as well?

Thanks again for the guide

It can go in /Extra/Extensions only if you don't use kernel cache (UseKernelCache=No). This can cause other issues such as extended boot time. This was default in 10.6, but as of 10.7+ FakeSMC should go in System/Library/Extensions, or in 10.9 /Library/Extensions- but that's coming later.

I'm have normal (not EFI) separate partition named BOOT for Chimera and Extra with FakeSMC, ethernet and audio kexts and UseKernelCache=Yes. Now i can restore clean installed OS X to any drive and startup from it without any problems.
On OS 10.9 it works, on 10.8 - no.

oh, thanks for article! :)

Hi,
Pardon my ignorance, how is this going to help an amature mackintosh user?
If I were to carry this task will it in-turn cancel the need for using the flash drive in order to reinstall mavericks, should I decide to re-format the laptop?

Thanx

"rm -R /boot /Extra " it doesn't work for me... i get :
Invalid command 'rm'. Try 'help'.fdisk: 1> rm -R /boot /Extra
Invalid command 'rm'. Try 'help'.
fdisk: 1> rm -R/boot/Extra/
Invalid command 'rm'. Try 'help'.
fdisk: 1>
what should I do?!

You're still in fdisk mode.

Option 1:
1. Quit and reopen terminal-
2. Type sudo -s
3. Reenter rm -R /boot /Extra

Option 2:
1. Show all files
2. Open Finder
3. Manually remove /boot and /Extra

Thx! I close terminal and I enter again the command and it worked! I think so because i didn't get that again, just bash, 3.2 or...so

One thing I used to do was put the bootloader onto a usb drive and leave the OS drive as vanilla as possible. It made it easy to move a drive between multiple hackintoshes and it would boot on all of them. I believe there was also some trick I used to hide the usb drive from the OS but I forget, it's been a while now.

If you want a graphical interface for mounting EFI partitions, you can also enable the debug menu of Disk Utilities; you'll find an option to display every partition in the source list view rather than just the usable volumes.

The following Terminal command should do the trick:

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

You end up with a very crowded left sidebar if you have a Fusion Drive, but it can be very handy.

Not sure- I haven't tried it on a Fusion drive. If you do try it out, let us know!

Hey Tony,

Are you and the crew planning on adding support for Fusion drive setups?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back