Contribute
Register

Install Bootloader and Extra to EFI Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, this allowed me to use my R9 290 with Hackintosh. Unfortunately OS X only recognizes 3 Mb of VRAM. Any idea how to fix this?

EFI Partition - FAkeSMC

With Yosemite are the FAkeSMC and the plugins placed in the Extras folder on the EFI or on the main partition?

I'm having issues with hardware monitoring the CPU temps and fans speeds with both the HW Monitor and stats.

Tiny bit confusing ...

In "Step 2: Reformat and Mount your EFI Partition" the screen grab contradicts the text :

Picture shows = newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/rdisk0s1
Text shows = Type: newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/disk0s1

To "r" or not to "r"

I must admit I tried both ways and still failed to move the boot to EFI this time around (had succeeded on a different hack previously)

Sigh

:crazy:

Can someone please get to the bottom of this ?

bash-3.2# fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
fdisk: could not open MBR file boot0: No such file or directory

I've seen 5-6 people complain about it, it's where I am stuck. I read all 25 pages, did not miss step 3 or 4 as someone mentioned. I have dual 270x but cant boot because i get giberish on the screen, so I need to install to the EFI parition. Been trying for 4 days now, and starting to bang my head against the wall. PLEASE HELP

I'm new to all this as well... this worked for me in regards to the Gibberish... boot: npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1

Make sure you have all other hard drives disconnected. I have dual Radeon R7 270x as well and getting the flickering screens on Mavericks. I was able to get the Boot-loader EFI Partition to work on Mavericks.

I'm now trying El Capitan on a separate hard drive. I got it to load with the same boot options: "npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1" however still getting a screen flicker.

Now, I can't get the Boot-loader EFI Partition to work with El Capitan. Like I said, I'm new to all of this. But, it seems that the issue is with the i386 folder we try to create. I cannot create one.

When I type "cd /Volumes/USB El Capitan/usr/standalone/i386" whereas "USB El Capitan" is my USB that I installed El Capitan with and is named "USB El Capitan" in diskutil list. I keep getting a "-bash: cd: /Volumes/USB:" "No such file or directory"" error. I think it is because there is no "usr" folder? Something must have changed with El Capitan... or something is up the the EFI that is disk0s1?

I have not restarted since I've tried to make the bootloader work, so I am going to after this post.

Good Luck and hopefully we can get this worked out for others as well. Both with the Boot-loader Partition and the troublesome R7 270x that others have issues with. If all else fails with the video, I'll get a new card.

I moved my boot to EFI. I was wondering do I need to select "integrated graphics=No" to boot from 280X with integrated graphics disabled in the Bios? I'm still getting garbled code unless I have integrated graphics on like I did before, but I noticed in my boot.plist Integrated graphics is enabled.

Hey,

I was able to do this on my last installation (10.10.5), and it allowed me to use my r7 260x. However, I had to reinstall my mac, and now this solution does not works for me.

I have done every step, and it went without an error. However, I still get the boot0 error with the random characters when booting with my r7 260x. I think that the system does not boot from the EFI partition, because if I remove the extra folder from my original boot volume, I get a really basic boot screen, where I can select hd(0,2) (which is not the EFI partition). Also, when I click "About this mac", it shows the original volume as the booting volume.

So, any idea how to make it boot from the efi partition? I really need a strong VGA for my projects.

Now, I can't get the Boot-loader EFI Partition to work with El Capitan. Like I said, I'm new to all of this. But, it seems that the issue is with the i386 folder we try to create. I cannot create one.

When I type "cd /Volumes/USB El Capitan/usr/standalone/i386" whereas "USB El Capitan" is my USB that I installed El Capitan with and is named "USB El Capitan" in diskutil list. I keep getting a "-bash: cd: /Volumes/USB:" "No such file or directory"" error.

You are missing a quotation mark somewhere. The bash parser is stopping at the first space it encountered. Try putting the first quote mark after the "cd" but before the "/Volumes" - as in

cd "/Volumes/USB El Capitan/usr/standalone/i386"

Need some help, done this before with no problems but now, nothin but issues

Code:
bash-3.2# diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *128.0 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS El Capitan              127.2 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1 (external, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *7.9 GB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS USB                     7.6 GB     disk1s2
bash-3.2# sudo -s
bash-3.2# newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/disk0s1
newfs_hfs: /dev/disk0s1 is mounted on /Volumes/EFI
bash-3.2# mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mkdir: /Volumes/EFI: File exists
bash-3.2# mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs: error on mount(): error = -1.
mount_hfs: Resource busy
bash-3.2# cd /Volumes/USB/usr/standalone/i386
bash-3.2# sudo -s
bash-3.2# fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
fdisk: could not open MBR file boot0: No such file or directory
bash-3.2#

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back