Contribute
Register

Install Bootloader and Extra to EFI Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Install Bootloader and Extra to EFI Partition

Ah, that would be cool! Just followed this guide, works perfectly. It should perhaps say after Step 5, 8, that you will need to type "quit" to save and exit the changes, before you are able to issue the rm command in step 9.
If I wanted to undo this process at some point, would I simply copy my /Extra back to /, wipe the EFI partition, and run Chimera on my boot drive again? Or would I need to make EFI inactive and format it back to FAT as well?

Thanks again for the guide

Yes, just do the guide, command "quit" is missing

Hi! I have just finished writing the guide (in Italian, for the moment) on how to install OX 10.9 with a crossfire of 7970 (the same goes for a video card only). Regarding the installation of Chimera with a 7970 is very simple. Just write, within org.chameleon.boot.plist, the following:

<dict>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Eulemur</string>

<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1080x32</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseAtiROM</key>
<string>Yes</string>

<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>

Before understanding this method, after two days: P, I had Fancy Characters after Boot0: done. My two Cards work very well. Sleep, DSDT and OpenCL with the following score: 4201.

4KB disk is also available. Finally, one more step, however. That is, u disk boot EFI partition after writing boot1h

- - - Updated - - -

4KB disk is also available. Finally, one more step, however. That is, u disk boot EFI partition after writing boot1h

I found out that my iMessages it doesn't work anymore... Before the efi partition it worked but now...it says that "An error occurred during activation. Try again." its there a fix for that?!

Last login: Wed Nov 13 19:43:29 on ttys000
Stevens-Mac-Pro:~ Crystark$ sudo -s
bash-3.2# fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory
Enter 'help' for information
fdisk: 1> p
Disk: /dev/rdisk0 geometry: 243201/255/63 [3907029168 sectors]
Offset: 0 Signature: 0xAA55
Starting Ending
#: id cyl hd sec - cyl hd sec [ start - size]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1: EE 1023 254 63 - 1023 254 63 [ 1 - 3907029167] <Unknown ID>
2: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused
3: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused
4: 00 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 [ 0 - 0] unused
fdisk: 1> f 1
Partition 1 marked active.
fdisk:*1> w
Device could not be accessed exclusively.
A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y
Writing MBR at offset 0.
fdisk: 1> rm -R /boot /Extra
Invalid command 'rm'. Try 'help'.

I got an error at line 4 about MBR and a problem with "rm" command.
Please help!
Thanks you!

Yes, just do the guide, command "quit" is missing

Thanks- I made the change- it should work now without closing and reopening Terminal. :thumbup:

Thanks- can you elaborate? I tested the method on a 4K disk, and it still displayed the boot0 error. I was able to solve after using the official boot0 guide here.

I'd have to say I don't know if this is really useful for us Fusion Drive guys. Our Extra folder is already hidden on the separate disk's partition. The whole Extra folder on the logical fusion drive is completely useless in my experience. But I have this setup working as well...

I like it because it's a little easier to manage on the EFI partition of the SSD, one place for everything (unless you are using FileNVRAM, then you need an Extra folder on the Fusion Drive for the NVRAM file, but I just create the folder and make it hidden). Don't have to worry about installing on the s3 partitions. And existing utilities to mount the EFI partition for Chameleon work well.

Also, when TonyMac and MacMan modify the Chimera installer for EFI installations, it'll be a simple and easy install/upgrade process for Fusion Drive setups so it's not such a manual process.

IMHO, it's a great first step to fully supporting Fusion Drive setups for Chimera/MultiBeast.

I found out that my iMessages it doesn't work anymore... Before the efi partition it worked but now...it says that "An error occurred during activation. Try again." its there a fix for that?!

If you are using the FileNVRAM.dylib fix for iMessage, you still need to have an Extra folder on your main partition because FileNVRAM can't write the NVRAM variables to the file on the EFI because it's not mounted.

Create an Extra folder on the main HDD, copy the nvram file back from your EFI disk to the new Extra folder and reboot.

If you want to hide that folder so you don't see it anymore, just open terminal and run the following command to hide it.

chflags hidden /Extra

Thx for the answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back