Contribute
Register

Install Bootloader and Extra to EFI Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, Im really a noob in terms of hackintosh. One question... I have read all posts etc as I see the system drive has already two partitions EFI and OsX, EFI is hidden.. so basically we can delete EFI partition bcs it has no use or we can add bootlader in my case I have problem with graphic (280X)... is that correct or Im missing something?!

Hi guys, Im really a noob in terms of hackintosh. One question... I have read all posts etc as I see the system drive has already two partitions EFI and OsX, EFI is hidden.. so basically we can delete EFI partition bcs it has no use or we can add bootlader in my case I have problem with graphic (280X)... is that correct or Im missing something?!

If you follow the guide step by step you actually install the bootloader (Chimera) and your 'extra' folder to the EFI partition. This will allow you to boot to the installation without getting a gibberish screen - or without booting via your USB installer.

Last edited:
If you follow the guide step by step you actually install the bootloader (Chimera) and your 'extra' folder to the EFI partition. This will allow you to boot to the installation without getting a gibberish screen - or without booting via your USB installer.
does this mean that I dont "touch" my working hackintosh.. I mean I will have all hackintosh conf on my "system" untouched ... I mean I dont know all things how to get working hackintosh if I screw something up, like sound etc... Now I have working hackintosh (I didnt make it :)) but if I do this and something goes wrong will I still have working hackintosh or not... as I understand I just put new chimera bootloader on EFI partition and set it to boot first
Ps Is anybody here from Croatia (Split) to help me out :)

Has anyone confirmed this method works for OS X Sierra? I am on the verge of trying to upgrade from Yosemite, which has been rock solid, to Sierra and getting a little nervous before the attempt!

I'm currently trying this on Sierra and can't get it to work. Can't find the extra folder or the boot folder. Any help?
This is what I get

bash-3.2# fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

fdisk: could not open MBR file boot0: No such file or directory

You may or may not be aware of it, but there is a 200 megabyte partition on the root of your drive. It's the OS X EFI partition, part of OS X's default GUID partition method, which normally holds information specific to Apple hardware. For Hackintosh users, however, it has no use whatsoever. It can therefore be re-purposed to hold the bootloader, and any extra files such as DSDT, /Extra folder, org.chameleon.boot.plist, and smbios.plist.

If you're one of those users who like an extremely 'vanilla' installation of OS X, you may want to rid your drive of all extra Hackintosh-related files. The following method will lead you through installing all of these files to your EFI partition.

This method solves 2 current issues:

• Legacy boot with AMD Radeon HD 7xxx and and Rx-200 graphics cards.
    • Allows full usage of Chimera/Chameleon to boot without use of integrated graphics. For details on the issue, see here.
  • Legacy boot with GPT disks on ASUS 8-series motherboards.
    • Allows full usage of Chimera/Chameleon to boot GPT (GUID Partition Table) disks. No need to format MBR.
NOTE: This procedure is entirely optional, and will not give you any other benefits beyond cleaning the root of your install. Also, each time you want to make changes, you'll have to mount your EFI partition through the Terminal. If you're uncomfortable using the Terminal, do not proceed.

STEP 1: BEFORE YOU BEGIN

For the purposes of this guide, I recommend unplugging all drives except your main hard drive and rebooting. This will minimize any problems with disk number and partition number. I will use disk0 by default in this guide.

To make sure your disk is identified as disk0:

• Open /Utilities/Terminal
  • Type diskutil list
If your drive's root is disk0, you're ready to begin.
STEP 2: REFORMAT AND MOUNT YOUR EFI PARTITION

1. Type: sudo -s
  2. Enter your password
  3. Type: newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/disk0s1
  4. Type: mkdir /Volumes/EFI
  5. Type: mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
  6. Close Terminal

STEP 3: INSTALL CHIMERA TO EFI PARTITION

Because Chimera will not be on the drive partition anymore, you must re-install it to the EFI partition. We can use View attachment 73421 he same Chimera binary files that are installed via UniBeast on the USB drive.

1. Plug in your UniBeast USB Drive (Named USB for this example)
  2. Open Applications/Utilities/Terminal
  3. Type: diskutil list and locate your EFI partition. It will be under IDENTIFIER. Be sure to use the correct one. (For this example: disk0s1)
  4. Type: cd /Volumes/USB/usr/standalone/i386
  5. Type: sudo -s
  6. Type: fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
  7. Type: dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1
  8. Type: cp boot /Volumes/EFI/
  9. Close Terminal

STEP 4: COPY FILES TO EFI PARTITION

Drag your current /Extra file to your EFI Partition. Alternately, install basic boot options, system definition, and theme from MultiBeast. If this is a fresh installation, you'll also need to install FakeSMC to your main hard drive.

STEP 5: SET THE EFI PARTITION AS ACTIVE
View attachment 73422
You now have to set the EFI partition so that your computer boots from it first. Then delete the duplicate extra files from your system drive.

1. Open Applications/Utilities/Terminal
  2. Type: sudo -s
  3. Enter your password.
  4. Type: fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
  5. Type: p
  6. Type: f 1
  7. Type: w
  8. Type: y
  9. Type: quit
  10. Type: rm -R /boot /Extra
  11. Reboot
View attachment 73420
HOW TO MOUNT/UNMOUNT EFI PARTITION
The EFI partition will not automatically mount as other partitions do at boot time. If you ever need to change/update files in the EFI partition:

1. Type mkdir /Volumes/EFI
  2. Type sudo mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
The EFI Partition will then mount on the desktop and in Finder.
View attachment 73423If you'd rather stay out of the Terminal, you can use EFI Mounter. It's a nice little app/script you can stick in your Applications folder to mount and unmount with a click.

Credit to Chameleon EFI install scripts/Munky's EFI install guides. Revised and reprinted from tonymacx86 Legacy Blog.

I get an error - What I need to do to get MBR oon disk1?

sh-3.2# cd /Volumes/USB1112/usr/standalone/i386/

sh-3.2# fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1

Here is my disk partition..
/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk1

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Sierra 249.2 GB disk1s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk1s3

Need some help, done this before with no problems but now, nothin but issues

Code:
bash-3.2# diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *128.0 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS El Capitan              127.2 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1 (external, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *7.9 GB     disk1
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS USB                     7.6 GB     disk1s2
bash-3.2# sudo -s
bash-3.2# newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/disk0s1
newfs_hfs: /dev/disk0s1 is mounted on /Volumes/EFI
bash-3.2# mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mkdir: /Volumes/EFI: File exists
bash-3.2# mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs: error on mount(): error = -1.
mount_hfs: Resource busy
bash-3.2# cd /Volumes/USB/usr/standalone/i386
bash-3.2# sudo -s
bash-3.2# fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
bash-3.2#

I tried this process listed to write MBR +on one of the web. But still get the same error.

bash-3.2# fdisk -e /dev/disk1

fdisk: could not open MBR file /usr/standalone/i386/boot0: No such file or directory

Enter 'help' for information

fdisk: 1> show

Invalid command 'show'. Try 'help'.

fdisk: 1> flag 3

Partition 3 marked active.

fdisk:*1> write

Device could not be accessed exclusively.

A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y

Writing MBR at offset 0.

fdisk: 1> exit

REBOOTED..

Hello,

i have the same problem. I delete the EFI partition and now i want to create again.

I follow the guide but i see that

Στιγμιότυπο 2018-01-21, 15.25.02.png

any ideas to help me?

i love it.. works perfectly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back