Contribute
Register

Install Bootloader and Extra to EFI Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Install Bootloader and Extra to EFI Partition

I followed the guide to the letter and I still get a white screen on startup with GraphicsEnabler=No with my 7950. I still need to rotate the screen to get it to show the desktop :(. I tried with GraphicsEnabler=Yes too and that gives me a black screen like usual. I never figured out why it does that. Is this method only meant to stop the gibberish text from appearing at boot or is it supposed to help get past the white screen too?

Stops the gibberish. You still will need to have the right framebuffer loading for your card so that you don't get the white screen problem.

I'm planning on upgrading my GTX 670 to maybe an R9 290X later on. Do you guys think OS X would handle the AMD cards fine (obviously not as fine as Nvidia)? Or maybe even the next generation of AMD cards (a little short on funds, ahem ahem).

Hi Tonymac, thanks in advance for all this tools that help us so much.

You should aware people that doing a repair permissions from disk utility booting from other drive will delete all the information on EFI partition.

And you if you could help me with this issue - http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...leep-issue-pcirootuid-related.html#post714002 - I'll appreciate.

If that's true (as I suspected) I don't think this is a really viable option. Now I can never run disk repair :(

unfortunately didn't work for me :( but I have to say that .. when I started this procedure I found out that I don't have Extra folder and this cuz I installed ML on GPT without boot loader cuz simply no need for it as it will not boot into GPT so I had to install Chameleon in the middle of procedure so I will have the Extra folder and its content and then I copied to EFI partition and rebooted after I made the partition active and it showed me error boot and some number I don't remember .. so it didn't work for me :( and I came back to clover again :(

My Biggest issue at the moment is having to either blind boot or swap from integrated to dedicated graphics every time i want to boot OSX, due to my 7970 having a larger video bios (or something along those lines). The mentioned article states that installing the bootloader to the EFI partition solves this problem, which im pumped for. herein lies my problem. I'm about 99% sure that the EFI partition on my SSD contains vital Windows 8 data. Said wipe of the EFI partition for render my Windows installation unbootable. As such,

- Is there a way to install the bootloader to the EFI partition without wiping it?
- Can i install bootloader to a separate partition on my SSD, leaving the EFI partition untouched?
- Will this solve my 7970 problems?
- Is the method applicable to Mavericks?

Thanks in advance guys

Nice that you take the initiative to help the people

I'm about 99% sure that the EFI partition on my SSD contains vital Windows 8 data

The EFI partition is formatted as HFS+ partition. Because of this I don't see how there is any possible way there could be any relevant data for Windows 8 since Windows cannot read/write to HFS partitions.

Well thank you very much I figured out how to do it on my SSD and now it boots much faster and that stupid bios feature doesn't see it so everything works beautifully. Whoever writes the code for these boot managers (I used Chimera) should rewrite them to install on this partition, as it boots much faster this way... It's almost instant!

I am not sure what is going on, i can't use multi beast to install to the EFI partition and if i follow the instructions listed it still won't work keep getting an error saying the usr folder doesn't exist when doing the mount in step 5....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back