Contribute
Register

Install Big Sur or Catalina on a i7 2600k Asus motherboard possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same board, cpu, and ram. My gpu is an rx580. I am interested to see if it works for you.

For those very outdated components, I wouldn’t agree with investing much money on a ridiculously expensive graphics card released even 4 years ago. Older generations of cards would be much cheaper and your CPU couldn’t limit their performance.
I agree. what gpu do you suggest? I never used radeon. Maybe used one should do the job to upgrade to Catalina, at least!

With the M1 chip my hope to build a new hackintosch faded away! Not sure how many years intel cpu will be supported. If they ship Mac pro with M chip this year, that wouldn't be so long ☹️

if I build a new pc, I expect to use it more than 5 years.

I agree. what gpu do you suggest? I never used radeon. Maybe used one should do the job to upgrade to Catalina, at least!

With the M1 chip my hope to build a new hackintosch faded away! Not sure how many years intel cpu will be supported. If they ship Mac pro with M chip this year, that wouldn't be so long ☹️

if I build a new pc, I expect to use it more than 5 years.
For a used Radeon card, there should be lots of choices.

You can also select a Kepler GeForce card but there aren’t many choices.

I have the same cpu as you and when I tried to change my system definition from iMac 14,2 to iMac15,1 with multibeast it wouldn't boot. I'm still using clover as I wanted to see first if I could change my system definition to one compatible with Big Sur before switching to opencore. I haven't tried other system definitions since then. Should I?

I second all this. It is possible using Opencore 0.6.4

My build was i7-2600 with an NVidia GT710 running SMBios 15,1View attachment 507388
What is your board? Can you share EFI folder?

[deleted]

Last edited:
It's also working for me with the EFI folder of TimMak that I've updated to OC 0.6.7. I had to use an unorthodox way though. First, I tried to update to Big Sur using software update from Catalina. It didn't go far in the boot of the temporary installer drive before rebooting. After that, I tried to update my system with an USB installer of Big Sur. It also didn't work: crashed at 12 minutes remaining. At last, I tried what biborn did (see https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/big-sur-installation-crash-at-12-minutes-mark.306167/): I've removed the SSD drive from my system, plugged it into my Macbook Pro early 2011 via an external USB enclosure. Then, I booted the Macbook Pro on a USB drive of a patched Installer of Big Sur (see https://github.com/barrykn/big-sur-micropatcher) and I installed the OS into my USB SSD drive. Then, I plugged back the SSD into my main system and voila:

Capture d’écran, le 2021-03-22 à 13.35.20.png

Updating will require doing that method again but at least it works. It also mean I will not be able to apply security updates to Big Sur after macOS 12 comes out since full installers aren't updated with them. Even if I made a full install instead of an update, it seems to have updated correctly my Catalina system: All is working like in Catalina (except for airplay speakers) and all my data is there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back