Contribute
Register

Install Big Sur or Catalina on a i7 2600k Asus motherboard possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P8Z68-V PRO
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
RX 560
Hi!

I would like to use an old pc to install Big Sur for it to last a few more years, but how can I do it?

The parts are:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO
CPU: I7 2600K sandy bridge
RAM: 16gb corsair ddr3 1333
GPU: MSI Radeon RX 560 4gb

At present I have Mojave with iMac 14,2.

I tried with clover but can't get Big Sur to install.

Thanks for your help.

Does not require Buying Advice - Moved to Desktop Support.

Please read and comply with the rules, in particular the one regarding profiles.
Link to profile - Just three items - Motherboard (or prebuilt system), Processor (CPU) and Graphics.

At present I have Mojave with iMac 14,2.

I tried with clover but can't get Big Sur to install.
Try changing the SMBIOS to iMac 15,1 which is supported by Big Sur.
Using OpenCore bootloader with BS makes the most sense. Would be wise
to read the Dortania/Github OpenCore guide to learn more about it.

Hi. Thank you very much. I will try just that and post here the results.

Hi. Thank you very much. I will try just that and post here the results.
I have the same board & cpu as you running High Sierra with Nvidia 560 Ti. If Big sur can work on these, I am thinking to buy a radeon gpu (e.g. rx 580 8gb). Please update your progress. Thanks!

I am thinking to buy a radeon gpu (e.g. rx 580 8gb)
Hope you have a lot of money saved. The average selling price of a new card is $400 to $500. Notice how the MSI cards only have 1 DVI output. Miners don't need DP or HDMI outputs. They're buying up all of these cards.

Screen Shot 4.jpg

Even the less powerful RX 570s sell at crazy high prices now.

Screen Shot 5.jpg

For those very outdated components, I wouldn’t agree with investing much money on a ridiculously expensive graphics card released even 4 years ago. Older generations of cards would be much cheaper and your CPU couldn’t limit their performance.

I have the same board & cpu as you running High Sierra with Nvidia 560 Ti. If Big sur can work on these, I am thinking to buy a radeon gpu (e.g. rx 580 8gb). Please update your progress. Thanks!
I haven't had time with work, but will try next weekend and post the progress. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back