CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Sometimes the latest drivers might be a nightmare. For example there are issues width latest 10.13.3 dirvers currently. But thee is no any option provided by NIVIDA to install older drivers.

For example I had black screen by using 387.10.10.10.25.156 and newer, whatever I tried. For digging some solution I found Vulgo's page on github. He provides vey nice and neat solution to easily install any version of NVIDIA webdrivers. Please read webdriver.sh page for more details!

Below is screenshot from Terminal, that illustrates how easy the procedure is.

180305-0001.jpg

"Blacklisted" drivers
Drivers which might cause various problems (black screen) at the moment (Mar 7, 2018):

Requirements:
You can download webdriver.sh directly into your Mac and run or an alternative way is to use brew. I tried first option and got some synth error, so I tried an alternative option to install webdriver.sh via brew, which works really great and makes NVIDIA web drivers installation from command line so easy.

Install Homebew if not yet installed:
Code:
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

Please read brew homepage for more details!

Install webdriver.sh
Code:
brew update
brew tap vulgo/repo && brew install webdriver.sh

Run webdriver
Code:
webdriver list

Installed webdriver still wouldn't load?
On some cases even when you install desired drivers, these are not loaded. It's usually caused by Mac OS build string mismatch. For example if NVDAStartupWeb.kext has defined build 17G3025 string, then it's not loaded on macOS build 17G4015. On this case we have to patch NVDAStartupWeb.kext. You will find proper build string on your "About This Mac" screen when clicking on macOS version.

Code:
webdriver -m 17G4015

Conclusion

Thats it! Very clean and simple solution.

Attention!
Please note that this is not a solution for bad configurations issues etc, but only for installing other version of drivers, which are not officially supported by Nvidia. To solve configuration issues please read other topics and please do not post off topics in this thread.

If you have issues with panics, black screens etc, then you should start from here: Fix for failure NVIDIA Web Driver on High Sierra, black screen, panics. or from another posts from Graphics section

Last edited:
Just wanted to say a quick thanks for this thread! Just built my first hackintosh, with everything up to date, and was getting really slow performance from apple motion (like 3fps)!

After a lot of searching and reading, I found this and downgraded my Nvidia driver to .106, and playback is now 25fps! So relieved! Was about to ship it all back to Amazon!!

Just wanted to say a quick thanks for this thread! Just built my first hackintosh, with everything up to date, and was getting really slow performance from apple motion (like 3fps)!

After a lot of searching and reading, I found this and downgraded my Nvidia driver to .106, and playback is now 25fps! So relieved! Was about to ship it all back to Amazon!!

Glad to hear that this post helped you out!

It's not an easy path to build Hackintosh, but it's worth of it if you want to save money and want enjoy the Apple macOS. I use several Apple devices (iPad, iPhone, MacMini etc) but I had a need for more powerful workhorse, so I built a hack. But it's sort of fun too to build Hackintoshes, I enjoy it. Every upgrade becomes a challenge :D

Wow, cool... this is kinda like Benjamin Dobell's nvidia-update.
webdriver.sh doesn't actually "blacklist" any drivers, @iLikeHackintosh has provided the blacklist presumably for informing choice if you experience issues. Any similarities in appearance are down to the nvidia-update authors, under the hood they work quite differently. Use whichever is easiest for you.

Is there a way to make this into a double clickable "app"? I don't mind running the script from the terminal, but it would be nice to be able to double click the "webdriver.sh" file and it would open a terminal and execute "./webdriver.sh --list". I have looked online and everything I see says to make the script executable using chmod... but this does not work. Could I use automator to do it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
has provided the blacklist presumably for informing choice if you experience issues. Any similarities in appearance are down to the nvidia-update authors, under the hood they work quite differently. Use whichever is easiest for you.

Yes, blacklist might not be the best word. So I corrected header of related block into "Blacklisted" drivers.

I have looked online and everything I see says to make the script executable using chmod... but this does not work. Could I use automator to do it? Thanks in advance for any help.
You could use ScriptEditor/AppleScript
Code:
tell application "Terminal"
    do script ("sudo webdriver list")
end tell

At the cost of a few more clicks, there is also this web interface.

@iLikeHackintosh so... 387.10.10.10.25.* Hopefully NVIDIA fix this in their 10.13.4 release - the older drivers don't seem to work as well.

Attachments

• script.zip
    49.8 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:
Thank you for this thread, I installed this on my latest build . I had real bad rendering issues with Motion 5 and safari was kind of slow. Went back to the 387.10.10.10.25.156 drivers for a GeForce GTX 970 STRIX OC - 4 Go and now working with motion is much easier.

It's not perfect and safari sometimes can be laggy but in all I'm really pleased with my build !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back