2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I bought this laptop in January 2020 (this is an iGpu only laptop), it was the cheapest 17" iCorei7 at the time
the screen has a nice antireflecting coating , a dvd,cd reader/writer useful for me.
Until now it's not fully working, but I'm optimistic.

What'inside

processor
intel i7 1065
graphic G7
wireless qualcom 1810
screen 17"
sound Realtek 235
ram 8Gb
DVD DVD writer (only started Linux and ripped some CD)

what I added

ssd samsung 860 Evo
nvme kingston A2000
ram 16Gb total(24Gb)
wireless intel 7265

What is Working

Graphics
works but, little gremlins at startup and a black screen at login (10 second)
wifi with the Intel Wireless card see post 6
Bluetooth works with both cards with intel card see post 6, with original Qualcomcard use bluetooth
firmware and inject kext, disabling wifi in the BIOS is required for better results.
Keyboard yes
trackpad basic mouse functions
Sound I updated with a prerelease ALC and now I have sound , but no headphone jack.
USB As my midi/sound USB interface is working, it works, I made a map, it should be right
power managment I set my profile for CPU friend to stay on the 50/60 celsius, ALC was making the laptop very
hot (75/85), once updated with the good layout,i'm back on reasonable temperatures.
battery battery level
Brightness works, but no key mapped now
Webcam The Webcam was working from the start, now with sound working FaceTime works.

What is not working

Sleep and Wake
closing the lid, putting to sleep put the laptop in coma, now it's getting in sleep mode one time
out of 5.
HDMI out I didn't try until now

Ethernet as I don't use it hardwired I put the wrong kext

from bios 1.4, I updated it to 1.10 (I put the bios updater in the EFI partition to made it)

I added a 16Gig Dimm, a Kingston NVME M2(500gig) drive and a Samsung Evo 860 SSD (500gig)
To do so, turn the laptop off,To get in the laptop remove all the screws, the two under the lid have a ring and don't get off, use some plastic levers,
start on an angle near you , gently move the lever to separate the key board plate and the bottom, use another one to
slide gently around the base you will feel and hear when the clips are dislodged , when it's done close the lid, turn the laptop upside out and remove the bottom.

Finally in late august I found an EFI that let me see (a few seconds) the progress bar to the installer,
I modify it slowly to first Install Catalina and now getting something I can use, post install.

first building the USB stick you can use Unibeast or the terminal way

At the end of the process you can substitute the EFI Folder in the EFI partition with mine (or yours)
You can also put a bios updater, it’s 1.11.0 now, download the bios recovery, the second one on this page.
two minutes download with the internal bluetooth.

Dell Bios download

To update the bios press F12 when the backlight of the screen is getting on.
Navigate to the right window with the arrow key(any key) to reach BIOS update, the real challenge
is founding the right partition, you can move in the files and folder with this arrows with one or two point inside,
but honestly , I was little lost, but found the right file. Three minutes to flash the BIOS an the Ec.
Once the update is done , you should configure the Bios (if you didn't done it before).

This is my Bios setting, maybe some other choices are working.

Boot: UEFI boot path security - always except internal hdd
System configuration integrated Nic - enabled enable UEFI network stack - off
Port enablement-on, data operation ahci, enable smart reporting off, enable audio - on, enable microphone,
enable internal speakers on, enable usb boot support, miscellaneous devices.enable camera - on
Vidéo eco power on
Security. Absolute disabled, smm security mitigation off, platform trust technology off, Intel SGX disabled
Secure boot off
Performance All cores, and everything on.
Power management Wake on ac-off, enable usb wake support off, auto on time disabled, block sleep on, battery charge standard.
Wireless, I choose Wlan off,bluetooth on , this setting give me better results with bluetooth,
Post behavior Enable numlock on, fn lock o’clock mode lock mode standard. warnings and errors prompt on warning and errors, enable adapter warnings-on, fast boot-thorough, extend bios post time-0
Full screen logo off, mouse touchpad touchpad and ps2 mouse, sign of life early keyboard light-on.
Virtualisation Intel virtualisation tech-On, VT for direct I/o-off
Maintenance Bios recovery from HD on, allow bios downgrade on
System log I choose to keep
Support assist Everything off

At restart F12 again to select your stick in the picker(OpenCore selector)and go to the installer one nice thing with OpenCore, it goes automatically on the right partition on reboot, it took me 20 minutes to Install Catalina.
if you can't download from the App Store, verify if your Ethernet/wifi is at en0 , if not remove in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration the two files , NetworkInterfaces.plist and preferences.plist, then restart,
it's also a good thing to read the idiot guide.
if you don't have exactly the same laptop, explore those next points

Important points in the plist for Catalina ACPI-EC-USBX.aml.

IGPU 10th gen enabled in wathevergreen

for 10th gen igpu : use the last Lilu, the Last whatevergreen, the last open core
put in device properties: under the right picroot ur platform id-0000528A /device id-528A0000 .

nvram boot args(you found them in open core configurator in the NVRAM window, the same kind as verbose is):
-igfxdvmt -igfxcdc -igfxonln=1

Last edited:
This efi will let you boot and Install Catalina

F12 to select the stick at start up
20 minutes to install on my ssd

graphics are working with bonus black screen at login(space bar, or other activities let you see
briefly the desktop, enough to log)
basic communication with bluetooth, if the logo didn't show reset the nvram,
disconnect the power and restart.
if you have a similar laptop, look at the devices and boot args (in the nvram window with OC editor
no sound, usb not fixed, battery and power management not done
but the battery status is showing and I like it.

good luck if you try to install it, and if this post helped you give it a like, that way some others will see it

I have to cook and eat now ;) see you next time
I can access the sound panel, Hackintool can see the sound chip, but no sound, the mic show activity, web cam works(probably was working at the start) but I loose bluetooth.
I'm waiting for a wireless intel card to use the driversMy USB audio interface promoted he
disabling the wifi in the bios let me access bluetooth again.

Sleeping don't let me see anything when wake again.
my usb audio interface works very well, I never payed attention to the sound quality of YouTube,
until now, hearing "je suis Africain" Rachid Taha very nice sound, particularly percussions,
even adverts sounds great.
So you understood, I will not spend much time for internal speakers, this laptop will be used with an audio interface.

I will restructure my post later this week-end , and include my bios settings, maybe this could help someone,
see you later

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    12.7 MB · Views: 250
Last edited:
I put my detailed bios settings (first post updated),
and enabled screen brightness control in the new EFI ,
I should learn to map it to the right keys,

I updated my BIOS to 1.11.0 without any troubles, my BIOS setting was not erased, nice

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    12.7 MB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I installed that intel 7265AC wireless card (connecting antenna was a nightmare).
the driver just made my laptop reboot.
But the bluetooth works very well,I can turn it on and off, that was not the case before.
all in all don't buy that intel card now.

Last edited:
when I'm desperate, I try silly things, as I can't get any sound from that laptop I tried VoodoHDA, finally with Applealc,
the result is terribly distorted, but I could hear something Supertramp's "a soap box opera" is recognizable, so I know now it could be done, see you next time

Openintel wireless kext was crashing my Hack with is first version, the last one with Heliport works well,
I put the itlwn kext in this EFI, just download Heliport , double click on it to start the wifi.
If the wifi or bluetooth are not working, particularly after trying something on the EFI, reset the NVRAM
naturally if you don't use an Intel wireless card this EFi is Useless.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.3 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:
I updated to 10.15.7, opencore is a pleasure for that , it just updates like a mac, i also downloaded Logic X,
it seems working nicely, the interface worked like it should , just plug'n play.
USB mapping, power managment and wake and sleep is another story, it's open chore,
honestly it was not that easy with clover, the truth is .... i used Rehabman (thanks) files, half of the work was done

This post push me to try wake & Sleep, also cpu friend power managment.

For sleep & Wake, lid sleep choose one of those bootargs (bootargs are on the nvram section of OpenCore editor) , -nodisplaysleepDC6 (this one works for me) or -noDC9 .

The laptop was quite hot before, always between 75/90 celsius degrees, also running at near CPU full speed.
now it goes down as low as 55 celsius, and the lid closing is working as putting to sleep is working.
I take the opportunity to benchmark, so if someone read me he/her can see the performance and the effect of power managment after a few seconds. take note the window of intel power gadget show a time line of one minute.

Capture d’écran 2020-10-11 à 12.06.37 1.png

Capture d’écran 2020-10-11 à 12.13.25.png

As you can see after running geek bench 4, temperature is going down as the processor charge, it makes a real difference. I choose the MacBook Pro settings for cpu friend finder for now

Last edited:
sorry troubles with network it didn't download before

This morning it worked flawlessly, but now I doubt a bit, I think I didn't test it enough, finally it's a bit random.
If I put the laptop to sleep too early it results in coma, If I wait until the system put it (I set 10 minutes), it works, and power managment works well.

if I close the lid, or shut it to sleep, when I wake it the processor get full speed, and temperature rise, think about it.
After resetting the Nvram at start up it works well, be cautious, but it seems ok.

Attachments

• EFI 2.zip
    22.3 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I had troubles with ALC those last weeks, it not only didn't work, but overheat my processor.
Last early Updated ALC gives me finally sound (layout 13) on internal loudspeakers, but no headphone, mic seems to work.
apple ALC Icelake
Still. wake and sleep works only one of five try, but when it works it works for good, I just close and open the lid if the screen is not black, it's right.
i have done a USB map, unfortunately the Hackintool way didn't work, I try my best , it seems to work at least for me.
the USB port on the right is 480 Mb, the two on the left are 5Gb.
That laptop is finally fully usable and stable , when it get the wake and sleep phase, no freeze no overheat, it fit my needs, faster enough, lot of memory, lot of disk space,and the screen is very nice for the price

Attachments​

• EFI 6.zip
    22.6 MB · Views: 0
nice for

Attachments

• EFI 6.zip
    22.6 MB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back