Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 3647 BIOS A08
CPU
i3 4160
Graphics
HD 4400
Hi folks,
My "build" is in my profile and signature, its an unaltered i3 Inspiron 3647. I can boot to clover screen and adjust the parameters, but after various tries it always reboots immediately upon trying to run the Catalina installer. My BIOS is A08, and I have disabled everything I think can possibly interfere, based on reading other threads. I attached photos of all relevant bios screens. Setting the params to verbose and safe mode, I get some text on the screen but it goes away and initiates the restart faster than I can snap a picture. The last line I see before it restarts is a bunch of plusses, I don't know how many. I've attached my CLOVER as a .zip. What do I need to do to prevent the restart and get to the installer? What other info do I need to post?

Attachments

• JPEG image 2.jpeg
    JPEG image 2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 99
  • JPEG image 3.jpeg
    JPEG image 3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 132
  • JPEG image 4.jpeg
    JPEG image 4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 129
  • JPEG image 5.jpeg
    JPEG image 5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
  • JPEG image.jpeg
    JPEG image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 241
  • CLOVER.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 78
Thanks, I'll try it. How are my BIOS settings?

OK, but you may want to enable rear usb ports, especially if there are USB2 ports. It's better to use a USB2 stick in a USB2 port. If you get an install you can enable speedstepping, VT and turboboost (or you won't get full RAM capacity)
Boot in verbose mode and if you get a hang, photo the screen and post back.

The rears are half 2 ports and half 3 ports which is why I disabled, but I'll try enabling. With your clover folder I was able to perform the install but after reboot Clover doesn't see the installed OS, and MultiBeast also is not visible when booting to the flash drive. Under a recommendation from another post, I copied the apfs kext to /L/E and that did not fix the issue. Due to this the system is not yet bootable. I also tried installing clover directly to my boot drive but Clover kept failing with no error code. What would you recommend to fix this?

The rears are half 2 ports and half 3 ports which is why I disabled, but I'll try enabling. With your clover folder I was able to perform the install but after reboot Clover doesn't see the installed OS, and MultiBeast also is not visible when booting to the flash drive. Under a recommendation from another post, I copied the apfs kext to /L/E and that did not fix the issue. Due to this the system is not yet bootable. I also tried installing clover directly to my boot drive but Clover kept failing with no error code. What would you recommend to fix this?
with Catalina, you are best to keep kexts in clover/kexts/other

apfs kext??

with Catalina, you are best to keep kexts in clover/kexts/other

apfs kext??
Forgive me I meant apfs.efi instead of kext, referring to this post.

I'm uploading the contents of everything in the efi-backups folder of my drive, as I think I messed something up when I tried to install clover directly when troubleshooting the issue where Clover doesn't see my installation. I'm not sure which folder it uses when it boots, whether its the 1-29 or the 2-18. I copied the apfs.efi file to CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ in both folders (1-29 and 2-18) but it still doesn't see my installation. Booting to the installer works fine, but as mentioned I can't boot to the installation I just made

Attachments

• EFI-Backups.zip
    7.6 MB · Views: 83
Forgive me I meant apfs.efi instead of kext, referring to this post.

I'm uploading the contents of everything in the efi-backups folder of my drive, as I think I messed something up when I tried to install clover directly when troubleshooting the issue where Clover doesn't see my installation. I'm not sure which folder it uses when it boots, whether its the 1-29 or the 2-18. I copied the apfs.efi file to CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ in both folders (1-29 and 2-18) but it still doesn't see my installation. Booting to the installer works fine, but as mentioned I can't boot to the installation I just made
neither, it boots from your EFI partition, will need to see those files

also, efi files don't belong in /L/E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back