Contribute
Register

Inserting USB device cause Mavericks 10.9.1 to Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
ga-z68xp-ud4 (USB are 2 x Etron EJ168 chips)
I have 10.9.4 usb3 working except after sleep mode:

kext ver 1,2,7- 2013 Sept 23 will wake after:

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext

thusly, USB 3 functions after sleep if this unload and load is performed.

According to this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285157-patched-appleusbxhci-from-os-1082/page-2 post #23

1) the various USB3 hardware do not have uniform response to GenericUSBHCI.kext.
2) Apple is using non-conventional interrupt calls (2 of them) that affect these various USB3 hardware in different ways.
3) OS X. in different releases interacts with your USB3 hardware and GenericUSBHCI.kext in different ways.
4) The conclusion is writing a stable GenericUDBHCI.kext for all possible hardware and/or OSX releases is not possible.

I have searched pretty far and wide - noting that there are many different symptoms associated with GenericUSBHCI.kext. In my case, the Etron EJ168 simply require this kext to work properly (save the wake issue). Other have reported hardware that seems to work better with this kext removed.

Please refer to the entire thread above for details and stories of various hardware.

Help! I followed these guidelines without deleting GenericUSBXHCI.kext because I couldn't find it in my Library. I installed the 3 kexts and restarted. Now the Hackintosh crashes at boot with this error

WP_20140908_002.jpg

Intel Core i7-4770K
GeForce GTX 760
GA-Z87X-UD7-TH​

Help! I followed these guidelines without deleting GenericUSBXHCI.kext because I couldn't find it in my Library. I installed the 3 kexts and restarted. Now the Hackintosh crashes at boot with this error

View attachment 103692

Intel Core i7-4770K
GeForce GTX 760
GA-Z87X-UD7-TH​
Try booting with argument maxmem=4096. This limits system memory to 4GB, it's not a solution, just a way to get back to macos and fix everything if you didn't find a way yet.

If I insert or remove a usb cable/device in 10.9.2, it often causes a hard shutdown. When it does shut down, I see no crash report in the console. I don't know if this is kext related or.....?

I removed the GenericUSBXHCI.kext from S/L/E. Didn't replace it with anything.

Rebuilt with Kext Utility.

Restarted and not had a freeze since. USB 3 and 2 both still work at prescribed speeds, and show as their respective speeds in Apple System Profiler.

Removing GenericUSBXHCI.kext has disabled USB 3.0 altogether...Suggestions?

Now, I sometimes get an error stating that usb is drawing too much power. Error message or not, my computer will crash 100% of the time if I unplug any usb device that wasn't plugged in at startup. I want to figure out how to patch usb power on DSDT. I tried turning legacy usb on and off at bios level. No luck. I feel like it's something in the DSDT. Had the problem occasionally in 10.6.8, but all the time in mavericks. Could be one of several kexts?

I have Mavericks 10.9.4 and running smooth Unibeast USB.. I had no USB freeze issues with that but after installing Multibeast 6.5, Mouse and keyboard stopped working. Then I booted into installer and copied the 'Extra' folder from Unibeast USB to HDD. Keyboard and mouse are now working but now the problem is when I plug or unplug a USB, my hackintosh freezes and I had to hard reset to get working.

How can I solve the issue? Tried removing GenericUSBXHCI.kext but no difference

So (in Extra/Extensions) I got a little deep into my USB Freezing problem and found that If I remove GenericUSBXHCI.kext, there is no difference. Removed IOUSBFamilyMassStorage.kext with no difference. What made the difference is IOUSBFamily.kext. If I were to remove IOUSBFamily.kext, I would have working USB drives with no freezing but Mouse and keyboard don't work. but if I had IOUSBFamily.kext in extra/extensions, I would have working Mouse and keyboard but no other USBs would work.

With IOUSBFamily.kext = Keyboard and Mouse works but no other USBs
Without IOUSBFamily.kext = Other USBs would work but no keyboard and mouse

how can we solve this issue?

interesting. i don't have the genericusb kext. This is the end of the road for my very limited understanding of this stuff. Initially I thought it might be a power supply problem or an oxidized wire or a short or something like that but everything like that is solid. Then I thought it may have something to do with my DSDT, but that appears to be correct. Gotta be some kext problem like you're saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back