Contribute
Register

Inserting USB device cause Mavericks 10.9.1 to Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I uninstall the GenericUSBXHCI.kext then how will USB be handled? I use USB keyboard and mouse and when I unloaded that kext, I wasn't able to interact with the computer anymore.

I guess either unloading is different from uninstalling and rebuilding caches, or it's only different with your specific mainboard?

I'm a Hackintosh noob myself, build my first Hackintosh with a GA-Z87N-WIFI and Mavericks 10.9.2 just a week ago and had those same system freezing USB problems.

Now, just a couple of minutes ago I did what bamster describes in posting #12: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...cause-mavericks-10-9-1-freeze.html#post799077

Since then I tested with various USB devices on different ports and all seems to be stable! Yay!

Here's what I did in detail:

1.)
I went to /System/Library/Extensions and moved GenericUSBXHCI.kext out of there to a temporary folder somewhere else (because I was afraid to delete it).

2.)
I ran Kext Utility.app version 2.5.7 that I downloaded from here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=10
I let it do it's permission repairs, cache rebuilds and whatever it does on top of that and just closed it after it was finished.

3.)
I did a reboot of my system.

That's it! I still could use my USB keyboard and Bluetooth Magic Mouse (also connected via USB in my case) to login and everything USB related seems to be stable, finally. *Knocking on wood* Hope it stays that way.

Ok, I did it and it worked. Now USB flash is not locking the computer anymore.
I will try later with a webcam that had the same effect whenever I activated video (audio worked though).

I hope this will also solve the issue I had with my PrintrBot, that lost the connection after about 1-2 hours of printing, without any reason.

Hy to all, first off all, i want to thanks this community for the best work from here.

I had this problem with the USB and the 10.9.3 freeze, and it was solved when i plugged out the PS2-USB adapter. It was unused but it was the cause of problems.

Hope this is a solve for others.

I don't have the GenericUSBXHCI.kext installed on my S/L/E folder and I still get the freeze.

I'm on an z87n-WIFI rev 2 running 10.9.2. any idea as to what else could case the freeze? It usually happens randomly when I plug something into the front panel USB. usb2 and usb3 devices both make it crash, sometimes in 5 minutes, sometimes a few hours later.

I think in this case the person also ended up reinstalling the multi beast boot loader or something, along with this realtek thing...

Basically just rerun multi beast with different settings, especially the legacy usb stuff... try out specifically for your system!

kind regards,

HBJR

Hey guys, just wanted to chime in here. I have been suffering consistent repeatable USB freezes with my hackintosh. Any time I inserted a USB flash drive, it was hit or miss as to whether the system would freeze. If the system did not freeze, I could get it to freeze every time after by ejecting the USB flash and reinserting it. Would lock the system every time.

I tried a lot of different fixes. Nothing seemed to change the behavior. Except this:

I downloaded three kext files from HackintoshOSX.com. Under the downloads section, Chipset, USB 3.0 Native, there was a zip file called 2817-OSX-iNDO_USB3.0.zip. I downloaded this file, unzipped it, and ran Kext Wizard to install the three kext files in the zip.

I backed up the original kext files first, of course.

The file names are:
IOUSBAttachedSCSI,kext
IOUSBFamily.kext
IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext.

I backed up the original files and using Kext Wizard, installed the new ones. I have no idea who make or hacked those files, nor if they are truly for my motherboard. However, I can tell you that my USB woes are GONE!

I have repeatedly attempted to freeze my system by inserting and reinserting multiple USB flash drives, and no freezes whatsoever. This is in stark contrast to my consistent, repeatable freezes prior to installing these three kexts.

I don't know the Tonymacx86 policy for linking off-site files to a thread, but you can file the files I used with the information I've posted.

I hope this can help some people who are experiencing USB freezes.

My system:
Mac OSX 10.9.4
Intel i5-4690S CPU
Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3
Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti

Note that I deleted the GenericUSBXHCI.kext from S/L/E prior to installing the new kext files, and I did not restore the GenericUSBXHCI.kext. Deleting this file did nothing to fix my freezes however.
I also deleted the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext that someone suggested. This also did not fix my freezes. I did not restore this file.

Thanx! It solved for me in 10.9.4

Thank! This work for me 10.9.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back