Contribute
Register

Inserting Motherboard Tray into G5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rear IO plate holds the motherboard tray in place at the back section there, the rear IO place screws to the mobo tray and then the back of the G5 so there is no need for the mobo tray to connect to the case at the rear section, the IO plate does this.

Thanks Eel, that's what I thought.

chaos

You don't need to cut the case, you can put a Lian Li mobo tray inside and run cable extenders to the back, which is what I've done. It's ridiculously simple and gets you perfect results, compared to doing it ghetto style and cutting such a beautiful case.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)

Some may say that a whole lot of cable extenders inside the case is ugly.

As they say "whatever floats your boat".

You don't need to cut the case, you can put a Lian Li mobo tray inside and run cable extenders to the back, which is what I've done. It's ridiculously simple and gets you perfect results, compared to doing it ghetto style and cutting such a beautiful case.
Just as minihack says,

If you don't like the cutting way there are other threads that show the none cut method, this is not one of them as the title says so perhaps you should post in those.

This thread is for those who do not want to run cable extensions out of the IO holes at the rear of the case, don't see how that looks any better. Plus with modding the case out you can get more then 4 PCI slots depending on tray and motherboard. I personally do not see an issue with getting a nice motherboard tray and incorporating it onto the G5, if done right it looks just as good as original IMO.

But thanks for your negative comments, they are so noted.
And You have your way and we have our way please do not troll the thread.

Dizzy, could you post a link to your build thread, or post some pictures with directions? I would like to see how "ridiculously simple" it is and also to evaluate how perfect the results are. I have three un-cut G5 cases ready waiting to mod and would like to do something different from my first two ghetto-style mods.

thanks
chaos

If you saw my mod, you would probably cry because I have the Mountain Mods back panel, holes in the top for radiator fans, and.... it's powder coated black!

Jeffinslaw

Only edit I would make to the guide is that M3 screws fit perfectly through the original G5 mesh so don't cut the mesh where the screws mount - much stronger, and less need for accurate cutting.

Oh, and as for intermal mounting of the actual tray, I just drilled through the tray where the original short standoffs were, saving me a JB Weld job

Only edit I would make to the guide is that M3 screws fit perfectly through the original G5 mesh so don't cut the mesh where the screws mount - much stronger, and less need for accurate cutting.

Oh, and as for intermal mounting of the actual tray, I just drilled through the tray where the original short standoffs were, saving me a JB Weld job
Nice! Thanks for that bit of info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back