Contribute
Register

Infinite Loop before Chimera starts - Acer Aspire E 11 (E3-112-C43A)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Acer Aspire E 11 (E3-112-C43A)
CPU
Intel Celeron N2940 (4 cores)
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics (Bay Trail)
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi! :)

First of all, here are my system specs:

System: Acer Aspire E 11 (E3-112-C43A)
CPU: Intel Celeron N2940 (4 cores)
BIOS: Insyde V1.08
Chipset: Intel Bay Trail
RAM: 4GB DDR3
HDD: 500GB (TOSHIBA MQ01ABF050)
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics (Bay Trail)

BIOS mode is set to Legacy (instead of UEFI).

I've created a Mountain Lion (10.8.5) USB installation stick following this tutorial (with Laptop Support): http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-unibeast-install-os-x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

On another laptop, I can boot from the stick without problems (Chimera is starting, showing drives to boot from, booting the OS X installer from the stick works). For the Aspire E3-112 however, I can't get it working. I tried two different sticks (with and without USB 3.0 support), tried both of them on the USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 connector, I also tried with "Legacy USB support" in UniBeast for the USB 3.0 stick. But no matter what I try, Chimera won't start but cause an infinite loop: BIOS POST, start booting from the stick, sometimes I can just read "boot0: done" but I don't know if anything else would be on the screen, because within a fraction of a second, the system restarts; sometimes I can't even read "boot0: done". I also added Timeout 10 and set Yes for the option "Scan Single Drive" in ... But nothing changed, and as the Timeout 10 had no effect, I couldn't read quickly enough what was going on (if more information was written to the screen at all). I also wondered if the problem is caused by some incompatibility between the USB controller and Chimera (USB drivers?).

In any case, I think it should be possible to get it to work, because on youtube there's a video showing OSX running on an Aspire E3 111 (which is quite similar to my 112).

Thanks a lot in advance; and in case this issue has already been addressed elsewhere (but I didn't find it), sorry for that!

Cheers - Stefan

Hi! :)

First of all, here are my system specs:

System: Acer Aspire E 11 (E3-112-C43A)
CPU: Intel Celeron N2940 (4 cores)
BIOS: Insyde V1.08
HDD: 500GB (TOSHIBA MQ01ABF050)

BIOS mode is set to Legacy (instead of UEFI).

I've created a Mountain Lion (10.8.5) USB installation stick following this tutorial (with Laptop Support): http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-unibeast-install-os-x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

On another laptop, I can boot from the stick without problems (Chimera is starting, showing drives to boot from, booting the OS X installer from the stick works). For the Aspire E3-112 however, I can't get it working. I tried two different sticks (with and without USB 3.0 support), tried both of them on the USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 connector, I also tried with "Legacy USB support" in UniBeast for the USB 3.0 stick. But no matter what I try, Chimera won't start but cause an infinite loop: BIOS POST, start booting from the stick, sometimes I can just read "boot0: done" but I don't know if anything else would be on the screen, because within a fraction of a second, the system restarts; sometimes I can't even read "boot0: done". I also added Timeout 10 and set Yes for the option "Scan Single Drive" in ... But nothing changed, and as the Timeout 10 had no effect, I couldn't read quickly enough what was going on (if more information was written to the screen at all). I also wondered if the problem is caused by some incompatibility between the USB controller and Chimera (USB drivers?).

In any case, I think it should be possible to get it to work, because on youtube there's a video showing OSX running on an Aspire E3 111 (which is quite similar to my 112).

Thanks a lot in advance; and in case this issue has already been addressed elsewhere (but I didn't find it), sorry for that!

Cheers - Stefan

Chimera is probably tripping up on something it doesn't like about the partition map. If you wipe the HDD completely (diskpart.exe 'clean' command), it will probably start.

But BayTrail graphics are not supported by OS X...

Thanks for your help! :) I haven't tried wiping the hard disk yet (because Windows 7 is installed on it already, want to use it as dual boot), however, I have removed the hard disk already to see if Chimera would load then - but still infinite loop. Do you think this is evidence that it's not a partition map issue (which would mean that wiping the hard disk wouldn't help for sure, so that the problem must be elsewhere)?

Regarding support of BayTrail graphics: The youtube video of the E3 111 running OSX, what do you think about it (because it's also BayTrail graphics on that model as far as I know), could it be fake? Or is it "just" some features like 3D acceleration or so not being supported?

Thanks a lot in advance! :)

Thanks for your help! :) I haven't tried wiping the hard disk yet (because Windows 7 is installed on it already, want to use it as dual boot), however, I have removed the hard disk already to see if Chimera would load then - but still infinite loop. Do you think this is evidence that it's not a partition map issue (which would mean that wiping the hard disk wouldn't help for sure, so that the problem must be elsewhere)?

No idea without details... You could try Clover.

Regarding support of BayTrail graphics: The youtube video of the E3 111 running OSX, what do you think about it (because it's also BayTrail graphics on that model as far as I know), could it be fake? Or is it "just" some features like 3D acceleration or so not being supported?

It could be running without QE/CI (that is easy... and is no "accomplishment").

Thanks, I think I will try out Clover and post whether I succeeded that way or not.

Okay, even without QE/CI, I will try, it's better than nothing. :)

Thanks, I think I will try out Clover and post whether I succeeded that way or not.

Okay, even without QE/CI, I will try, it's better than nothing. :)

Without QE/CI, the experience is painful (ok if you want an OS X server).

You need to run your boot flash drive on UEFI Mode, but Secure Boot doesn't permite this steep. First disable Secure Boot like it writen down:

1. Completely shut down your computer.
  2. Power on the system. As soon as the first logo screen appears, immediately press F2 to enter the BIOS.
  3. Use the right arrow key to select Security.
  4. Use the down arrow key to highlight Set Supervisor Password and press Enter.
  5. Create a password and press Enter. Retype the password to confirm and press Enter again.
  6. Use the right arrow key to select Boot.
  7. Press the down arrow key to select Secure Boot and press Enter.
  8. With the arrow key, highlight Disabled and press Enter.
  9. Press the F10 key and select Yes to save the changes and exit the BIOS.
NOTE: We suggest removing the supervisor password immediately after enabling Secure Boot. If you choose not to remove your supervisor password, make sure you write it down for future use.

Thanks for hints how to activate secure boot.
But even when I do this, the USB stick is not found in UEFI mode (only the Windows Boot Manager).
And if I active Legacy USB support the USB stick is found but I experience what Stefan has already described in his first posting - infinity boot loop.
Any hints are appreciated!

Cheers,

Nel

Thanks for hints how to activate secure boot.
But even when I do this, the USB stick is not found in UEFI mode (only the Windows Boot Manager).
And if I active Legacy USB support the USB stick is found but I experience what Stefan has already described in his first posting - infinity boot loop.
Any hints are appreciated!

Cheers,

Nel

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Thanks for the fast reply!
It is almost the same system as Stefan described in his first posting:

System: Acer Aspire E11 (E3-112-C43A)
CPU: Intel Celeron N2940 (Bay Trail-M, 4 cores)
BIOS: Insyde V1.10
HDD: 128 GB (SanDisk Ultra Plus SDSSDHP-128G-G25)

Any more information needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back