Contribute
Register

Incredibly Random Complete System Freeze (UD5H, i7, GTX 670)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Nexus Hackintosh
CPU
Intel i7 3770
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've been looking around for an answer to a system-wide freezing I've had for a long time. It's been an issue ever since 10.8.2, but I think it gained frequency after 10.8.3. The build is standard, and it was built using one of the golden build guides.

The Symptoms:
+ Completely random, different console log results every time
+ Freezes indefinitely, can only be fixed via reset
+ Freezes instantaneously (No grey screen), including mouse, and all forms of input, screen remains frozen
+ Occurs every few days, sometimes within a few minutes of startup (rare)
+ Cannot replicate, sometimes it freezes with an idled system, sometimes while I'm browsing
+ Does not occur on windows.

The Specs:
+ Intel 3770 i7
+ Gigabyte GTX 670
+ Gigabyte Z77-UD5H
+ MacPro 3.1 profile
+ Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3

If no one knows what it is, does anyone have any tips on identifying this issue through some methods? It's getting to a point where it's getting in my way during critical work. So I'd like it to be fixed.

Thanks very much.

Tried to see if it relates to sleep or restarting. It still freezes unexpectedly, whether it's a few hours after restart, or a few hours after waking from sleep.

Any suggestion guys? I appreciate it.

I have the exact specs of your computer except I have the 3770k. Have you modified your bios settings in any way? Or are you just running the optimized defaults? Have you overclocked your chip? Do you have hardware monitor installed? If not install it and see what your core temps are like when the freeze occurs.

When I was first testing my overclock and playing with the core voltages my system was doing things similar to how you describe it. It was a lot of trial and error but I finally found some stable settings that work. If you are overclocking my experience has guided me to stay below 4.5 ghz

- - - Updated - - -

I have the exact specs of your computer except I have the 3770k. Have you modified your bios settings in any way? Or are you just running the optimized defaults? Have you overclocked your chip? Do you have hardware monitor installed? If not install it and see what your core temps are like when the freeze occurs.

When I was first testing my overclock and playing with the core voltages my system was doing things similar to how you describe it. It was a lot of trial and error but I finally found some stable settings that work. If you are overclocking my experience has guided me to stay below 4.5 ghz

Nothing is modified in BIOS, except for disabling the VT that is needed to be disabled in order to boot.

I haven't overclocked, or done anything out of the way. Nothing is modified in Bios in terms of voltage or core speed. It's as default as it can be.

My core temps never go above 50 in Windows, and it seems to crash more often when the machine is idling...

I can't be the only one experiencing this...I built it exactly to a Golden Build.

I have the same issues with my rig, but completely different hardware.

Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
i5 3570k
GTX 650

I can go days and days without it happening then it will do it. The only constants I can find in this equation for me is that when it has frozen I was always in one or multiple instances of these following programs.

Spotify
Calendar
Safari

Is it possible to uninstall safari and apple calendar? If so I would be willing to try to uninstall them and spotify, and switch to Chrome for now, to see if it goes away.

OP, when you say idling, what exactly do you mean? Like the computer just sitting there, or after you have force closed everything but finder? If you have safari running in the background ( even with no open windows ) it may be a common link.

I had the same problems when I first got my UD5H. My problem was that running the F5 bios that came with it was not tuned for Ivy Bridge and would not give it the voltage it needed. What fixed it was just updating the bios to F14 (technically F6 at the time). But here is the fix i did before the update to the bios was out:

1) Raise the CPU Vcore from 1.100 up to 1.220
2) increase the IMC to .005 of your CPU VTT, for example with IMC 1.050 you want to change to 1.055
3) Increase your CPU/PCIe base clock from 100.00MHZ to 100.01 (which is what i used but it is reported that 100.10 and 101 works also)

I don't think I have Safari open during some instances of it crashing. I will keep an eye out though.

Most of the time, it freeze on idle. Idle can be a combination of nothing opened (Only Finder), to few opened (iTunes, Mail). But I've had it freeze, although rarely, when I'm working in the middle of something.

Thanks chadthman, I will try to see if that helps.

Disable firewire in the bios and see how you go.

Firewire would bomb my system the exact same way you described (I have the same mobo but a GTX 680).

Ok, I will try that. I haven't seen a specific setting for disabling Firewire. What exact BIOS setting should I disable? (F14, UD5H)

Thanks a lot.

I'm assuming it's the VIA 1394 controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back