Contribute
Register

Incredibly Random Complete System Freeze (UD5H, i7, GTX 670)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you get your hands on another PSU to test the other hardware with? I had a rig once that would do EXACTLY as you describe, and after thinking it was this or that, and even replacing the RAM, the PSU ended up being the culprit -delivering inconsistent voltages.

Just a thought...

Hope you can figure it out. I have exactly the same board on my best machine and have never had issues like you describe with it. Good luck!

The behaviour never occurs on windows (Dual booting). It only ever happens on Mac OS X. Would the PSU still be a culprit in this scenario?
The issue being OS X specific makes me feel like it's not a hardware issue, but an OS dependent software issue.

Yeah, the fact that Windows isn't displaying the same behaviour would lend me to think that its not actually the PSU- Juggernaut1987's suggestion may be along the same line of thinking... It sounds like some sort of power issue to me too... I like his suggestion of checking out the throttling settings.

keep us posted on what you find. I've got the same exact mobo and have been wondering if I could export and upload a profile that these symptoms DON'T occur on to see if its a bios setting or a PSU issue. Not sure if I can get a profile off the bios or not tho...

I have the same issues with my rig, but completely different hardware.

Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
i5 3570k
GTX 650

I can go days and days without it happening then it will do it. The only constants I can find in this equation for me is that when it has frozen I was always in one or multiple instances of these following programs.

Spotify
Calendar
Safari

Is it possible to uninstall safari and apple calendar? If so I would be willing to try to uninstall them and spotify, and switch to Chrome for now, to see if it goes away.

OP, when you say idling, what exactly do you mean? Like the computer just sitting there, or after you have force closed everything but finder? If you have safari running in the background ( even with no open windows ) it may be a common link.

I have the exact same hardware and am experiencing the exact same issue on 10.8.4. My system can go for whole weeks without freezing, but it will eventually completely freeze up and require a hard reboot.

I'm seeing the same symptoms too on slightly different hardware specs:

i5-2500k (not overclocked)
GA-Z68-D3H-B3
8GB DDR3 1600MHz
GTX 580

Just happened to me twice in two days, but the machine often goes for 2-3 weeks at a time with no freezes.

I have been having random freeze issues which I was able to narrow down the "randomness" since it hit me 3x just today.

The Specs:
+ Intel 3770k i7, water-cooled, not over clocked
+ Gigabyte GTX 670
+ Gigabyte Z77-UD5H
+ Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.4
+ 32GB RAM
+ 128GB Sandisk SDSSDP-128G-G25 SSD

Also have several 2TB storage drives

The computer is used almost exclusively for video processing and large files, up to 20GB, are moved across the network AND I always use the native VNC to remotely control the computer from the other room from an iMac in my office.

I have found that when the network connections are loaded down, the computer will randomly freeze. I have been using both ethernet ports but just switched to the lower port only to see if the problem persists and have transferred a 14GB folder containing 2 files without incident.

If I am able to go for a few days without a freeze, I will say the issue is with the NIC and has been isolated.

I will report back with results.

I'm experiencing the same problems.

Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
i5 3570k

HD4000 video

I have not been able to isolate the problem. Is there a way to diagnose using console? I've tried searching but not found any concrete information.

I have the same configuration on my computer (i5-3570K, Z77-DS3H, HD4000), and my brother has i7-3770K, Z77-D3H, GTX650.
So far I remember, the version of his system has always been 10.8.2 since novemer 2012, no freezes occured at all. On my config, I updated the system to 10.8.5 and it started to freeze. But my brother didn't update, so he had no freezes on 10.8.2. May be that (updates) is one of the issues for some hardware configurations?
I reinstalled my system to 10.8.2 now, and I'll see what is going on. I'll post here if this problem occurs again.

One week of moderate to heavy use with a heavy network load and no freeze-ups. I may have isolated the issue.

I have the same issues with my rig, but completely different hardware.

Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
i5 3570k
GTX 650

I can go days and days without it happening then it will do it. The only constants I can find in this equation for me is that when it has frozen I was always in one or multiple instances of these following programs.

Spotify
Calendar
Safari

Is it possible to uninstall safari and apple calendar? If so I would be willing to try to uninstall them and spotify, and switch to Chrome for now, to see if it goes away.

OP, when you say idling, what exactly do you mean? Like the computer just sitting there, or after you have force closed everything but finder? If you have safari running in the background ( even with no open windows ) it may be a common link.

I was having random freezes with this exact setup for months. I believe I have finally narrowed the issue down to the network driver in multibeast. I used the network driver and method outlined in this thread and have not experienced a freeze yet! Best of luck.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-gigabyte-ga-z77-ds3h-evga-gtx-650-2gb-2.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back