Contribute
Register

In WINDOWS, how to make the screen turn off completely when the brightness is all the way down, like macOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
LG Gram 13 inch
CPU
i7-8650u
Graphics
Blackmagic eGPU
Not technically a hackintosh question, but I have found this forum extremely helpful so hopefully it's okay to ask here.

I have a Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro, in macOS I can keep pressing the lower brightness key (F4) and after the slider is all the way down then the screen will be completely off. I have Linux installed and that is the case as well. But in Windows, when the slider is all the way down then the screen is still clearly on and very bright when in a dark room. It would be extremely convenient if a software or tweak in Windows could make the screen turn off and on when the brightness is all the way down, similar to macOS.

Moved to Windows forum.

Not technically a hackintosh question, but I have found this forum extremely helpful so hopefully it's okay to ask here.

I have a Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro, in macOS I can keep pressing the lower brightness key (F4) and after the slider is all the way down then the screen will be completely off. I have Linux installed and that is the case as well. But in Windows, when the slider is all the way down then the screen is still clearly on and very bright when in a dark room. It would be extremely convenient if a software or tweak in Windows could make the screen turn off and on when the brightness is all the way down, similar to macOS.
Have you looked at the display settings in the Win10 settings menus?

Have you looked at the display settings in the Win10 settings menus?
Yes, there's no option. I think I worded the question more complicated than need be: I simply need a way to turn the screen on and off using a keyboard shortcut (preferably the brightness keys), which will likely require a third party tool.

Did you try this?

Press Windows key + Q, search for Control Panel, open the respective result, and manually navigate to Power Options. In the right-hand pane, click Choose what the power buttons do.

In the next window, under When I press the power button, you can make it tun off the display while on battery or plugged in. Click Save changes to lock in your preferences.

Now all you have to do to turn off your laptop’s screen is to press the power button. Note that you can still shut down your computer forcefully (in case it’s locked up) by holding the power button for a few seconds.

Did you try this?

Press Windows key + Q, search for Control Panel, open the respective result, and manually navigate to Power Options. In the right-hand pane, click Choose what the power buttons do.

View attachment 416083

In the next window, under When I press the power button, you can make it tun off the display while on battery or plugged in. Click Save changes to lock in your preferences.

View attachment 416084

Now all you have to do to turn off your laptop’s screen is to press the power button. Note that you can still shut down your computer forcefully (in case it’s locked up) by holding the power button for a few seconds.
Going Bald, I appreciate your help.
Unfortunately this solution won't work for me because the screen will turn back on when it detects even the slightest mouse movement, and also whenever there is an alert. I tried to leave the computer overnight with this method and the screen turned back on in the middle of the night.
I need the screen to stay off until, and ONLY until I press a specific button. macOS and Linux has this function built in, I'm quite surprised that Windows doesn't. But I would be even more surprised if third party utilities cannot offer such a simple function. Most likely I just don't know of its existance yet, so I would be really thankful if anyone knows and could inform me.

If anyone still cares about this feature, I found a (imperfect) way to turn off the screen on demand. I made a screensaver using "Screensaver Factory" (virustotal said it is clean), put it on the desktop and run it when needed. Unlike default Windows functionality, the screen will not automatically turn back on until ESC is pressed.

Attachments

• Black Screensaver.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 83
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back