Contribute
Register
mainboard:MSI Z370 OC PRO.
Thunderbolt:MSI JHL6540 I/O card
This is my BIOS Setup, I don't know if it's correct。The problem now is that I plug in the thunderbolt device and start it up. The computer can't recognize the thunderbolt card. After unplugging, the computer will display the thunderbolt PCI bus. You can see the following buses in the "ioregistryexplorer"。Please help me.

--------------
No screenshot of "SSDT-TbtOnPch.aml" loaded;Boot file for now “EFI”
original DSDT

Attachments

• 20201006_040114.jpg
    20201006_040114.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 95
  • 20201006_040322.jpg
    20201006_040322.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 87
  • Hackintool.png
    Hackintool.png
    987.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IORegistryExplorer.jpg
    IORegistryExplorer.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 85
  • DSDT.zip
    105 KB · Views: 60
  • EFI.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
Last edited:
If your IO shows RP05 then you need to make the SSDT you are using read RP05. Most are using Gigabyte Titan Ridge or the Asus EX3. I think you are the first person I have seen using an MSI thunderbolt card. The setting in the first image looks correct. Remove the SSDT you have plug a device in and boot the system post a picture of the IO reg without the SSDT and post the SSDT you are using.

If your IO shows RP05 then you need to make the SSDT you are using read RP05. Most are using Gigabyte Titan Ridge or the Asus EX3. I think you are the first person I have seen using an MSI thunderbolt card. The setting in the first image looks correct. Remove the SSDT you have plug a device in and boot the system post a picture of the IO reg without the SSDT and post the SSDT you are using.
I uploaded it to the original floor

I uploaded it to the original floor
Here are two zip files one is for Alpine ridge with modified firmware the second is for an alpine ridge without modified firmware, Both are for GC-Alpine ridge. I understand you have a MSI but the controller it is using is the one listed for Alpine ridge. There are lots of different reports with Thunderbolt and lots of different behaviors. Some work with cold boot and the device plugged in to get hotplug. Some only get hotplug after warm boot without a device plugged in, while others only after a warm boot with a device plugged in. One zip has two files you need them both. The other zip only has one file and it does not need the second file.

Attachments

• SSDT-TBOLT3-KGP.aml.zip
    2 KB · Views: 79
  • SSDT- Alpine.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 90
Here are two zip files one is for Alpine ridge with modified firmware the second is for an alpine ridge without modified firmware, Both are for GC-Alpine ridge. I understand you have a MSI but the controller it is using is the one listed for Alpine ridge. There are lots of different reports with Thunderbolt and lots of different behaviors. Some work with cold boot and the device plugged in to get hotplug. Some only get hotplug after warm boot without a device plugged in, while others only after a warm boot with a device plugged in. One zip has two files you need them both. The other zip only has one file and it does not need the second file.
Thank you for your help. I'm working. I'll try it when I get home. I'll give you feedback later.

I've tried both of these zips, but they can't make MSI thunderbolt card. Work properly. Use "SSDT"- Alpine.ZIP ”When you connect the thunderbolt device and start the computer, you can not see any thunderbolt bus under the hackintool, and the thunderbolt cannot be displayed. Use the "SSDT" button- Alpine.ZIP ”If you start the computer without connecting the thunderbolt device, you can see the thunderbolt PCI bus in the hackintool, and the thunderbolt device cannot be displayed.
In addition, I try to turn on the "thunderblt USB support" option in the BIOS, and then turn on the computer. The thunderblt device can display, and the thunderblt path can be seen in the PCI bus. I don't know why.
“SSDT-TBOLT3- KGP.aml.zip ”It doesn't work at all.
I cut some pictures for your observation.

I used Hackintool to collect PCI bus conditions when "thunderblt USB support" is turned on and off.

My monitor is LG ultrafine 5K,Its Thunderbolt chip is JHL7540;
My disk array is STARDOM STB4-TB3,The thunderbolt chip seems to be JHL7540.

I'm sorry, my English is not good, so I can only communicate with you through translator.

Attachments

• 截屏2020-10-12 21.47.38.png
    截屏2020-10-12 21.47.38.png
    858 KB · Views: 90
  • 截屏2020-10-12 21.49.33.png
    截屏2020-10-12 21.49.33.png
    902.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Hackintool PCI information .zip
    7.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 截屏2020-10-12 22.05.39.png
    截屏2020-10-12 22.05.39.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
  • 截屏2020-10-12 22.11.51.png
    截屏2020-10-12 22.11.51.png
    2 MB · Views: 91
  • Hackintool-PCI information-SSDT- Alpine-thunderblt USB.zip
    8.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I've tried both of these zips, but they can't make MSI thunderbolt card. Work properly. Use "SSDT"- Alpine.ZIP ”When you connect the thunderbolt device and start the computer, you can not see any thunderbolt bus under the hackintool, and the thunderbolt cannot be displayed. Use the "SSDT" button- Alpine.ZIP ”If you start the computer without connecting the thunderbolt device, you can see the thunderbolt PCI bus in the hackintool, and the thunderbolt device cannot be displayed.
In addition, I try to turn on the "thunderblt USB support" option in the BIOS, and then turn on the computer. The thunderblt device can display, and the thunderblt path can be seen in the PCI bus. I don't know why.
“SSDT-TBOLT3- KGP.aml.zip ”It doesn't work at all.
I cut some pictures for your observation.

I used Hackintool to collect PCI bus conditions when "thunderblt USB support" is turned on and off.

My monitor is LG ultrafine 5K,Its Thunderbolt chip is JHL7540;
My disk array is STARDOM STB4-TB3,The thunderbolt chip seems to be JHL7540.

I'm sorry, my English is not good, so I can only communicate with you through translator.

You may never be able to get it to work "Properly" with your devices. Your the first person with an MSI Thunderbolt card so who knows if any of the files really are going to work for you. Most people on this forum and the internet are using GC Titan/Alpine ridge cards or the Asus EX type cards. I am not sure if these files will work I was hoping. Even if they work partly they may not work fully. It appears like your Raid device is working but a monitor is a different thing altogether. Do you have the Displayport -in connection to your DGPU?

Maybe @CaseySJ has a SSDT that might work better for your MSI Thunderbolt card.

You may never be able to get it to work "Properly" with your devices. Your the first person with an MSI Thunderbolt card so who knows if any of the files really are going to work for you. Most people on this forum and the internet are using GC Titan/Alpine ridge cards or the Asus EX type cards. I am not sure if these files will work I was hoping. Even if they work partly they may not work fully. It appears like your Raid device is working but a monitor is a different thing altogether. Do you have the Displayport -in connection to your DGPU?

Maybe @CaseySJ has a SSDT that might work better for your MSI Thunderbolt card.
My monitor connection is, graphics card -- two DP lines -- MSI thunderbolt card -- thunderbolt cable -- monitor.
Although the MSI thunderbolt card is not normally driven, the display always displays images normally.
It is worth mentioning that the MSI thunderbolt card originally supports hotplug, and wake-up after sleep can activate the thunderbolt disk array again, and the thunderbolt bus will not disappear. This should be related to MSI BIOS.
Thank you again for your help. If I find the right way to drive, I will post it in this post.

My monitor connection is, graphics card -- two DP lines -- MSI thunderbolt card -- thunderbolt cable -- monitor.
Although the MSI thunderbolt card is not normally driven, the display always displays images normally.
It is worth mentioning that the MSI thunderbolt card originally supports hotplug, and wake-up after sleep can activate the thunderbolt disk array again, and the thunderbolt bus will not disappear. This should be related to MSI BIOS.
Thank you again for your help. If I find the right way to drive, I will post it in this post.
According to the Hackintool PCI list, you have two Thunderbolt controllers in the system:
  • JHL6540 is Alpine Ridge
  • JHL7540 is Titan Ridge
Please note that we should not look at System Information --> Thunderbolt. Only look at System Information --> PCI or IORegistryExplorer.

I am curious why you are using two Thunderbolt controllers?

Please run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As..., then post that file. That will give us better insight into your system.

Your previous screenshot also shows that Thunderbolt is working because there are devices connected to both DSB1 and DSB4.

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 9.08.24 AM.png

截屏2020-10-12 22.11.51.png

According to the Hackintool PCI list, you have two Thunderbolt controllers in the system:
  • JHL6540 is Alpine Ridge
  • JHL7540 is Titan Ridge
Please note that we should not look at System Information --> Thunderbolt. Only look at System Information --> PCI or IORegistryExplorer.

I am curious why you are using two Thunderbolt controllers?

Please run IORegistryExplorer and select File --> Save As..., then post that file. That will give us better insight into your system.

Your previous screenshot also shows that Thunderbolt is working because there are devices connected to both DSB1 and DSB4.

View attachment 491580

View attachment 491581
  • JHL6540 is Alpine Ridge It's mine MSI Thunderbolt card
  • JHL7540 is Titan Ridge It seems to be Display bus(LG UltraFine 5K)
As shown in the figure,I turned it on in MSI BIOS“THunderblt USB support”,The thnuderbolt disk array will be displayed, otherwise no thnuderbolt related information will be loaded。
I don't know if I should turn it on。
I'll upload the files when I get home

Back