Contribute
Register
@scottkendall
Just checking back with you after few months, as you seem to be pretty up to date on the Alpine Ridge flashing process.
Is there any progress on the Video pass threw with this card? Thinking about doing the flashing now regardless of video.. Titan Ridge is out of stock everywhere or insanely expensive. Is the previous information you wrote @ SSDT back then, still accurate or new updated SSDT/ infos are out there?
On my x299 system going to System Infos/ Thunderbolt, I have the following message:

Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded.

However Bios sees it and TB works as It should with Video Pass threw if connected at boot.
Thank you.

Not that I am aware of but I am not sure anyone really is trying and if they are I haven't been paying attention. There was some kind of SSDT that did some stuff with the alpine ridge that was super custom and board-specific @CaseySJ was making them from your Origin folder.

I never actually tested it because my alpine ridge is flashed but my clip is messed up so I can not return the card to default. I can tell you that I am still using the titan ridge card flashed with the Designare Modified firmware ever day for the past 6 months. Once in a great while when woke from sleep it will tell me the drive was ejected incorrectly.

Not that I am aware of but I am not sure anyone really is trying and if they are I haven't been paying attention. There was some kind of SSDT that did some stuff with the alpine ridge that was super custom and board-specific @CaseySJ was making them from your Origin folder.

I never actually tested it because my alpine ridge is flashed but my clip is messed up so I can not return the card to default. I can tell you that I am still using the titan ridge card flashed with the Designare Modified firmware ever day for the past 6 months. Once in a great while when woke from sleep it will tell me the drive was ejected incorrectly.
I finally admitted to myself that I was chicken poop with regards to flashing the Titan Ridge card. I have not had any problems with the ThunderBay4 self ejecting, at all. It will not hot plug but I cannot figure out why I would want to. What it will do is eject when I choose to do so. I can turn the TB4 off after ejecting, turn it back on and it will appear on the desktop. Granted, this is not hot-lug but it is close enough for me.
@scottkendall are you using the flashed TR card on the Z370 Gaming5?

Last edited:

I bought a flashed TR, and it will arrive this week. Did you have to do any ssdt to make it work?
Also, for the hot plug, did you need any other ssdt?
If you could tell me a bit about your experience I would be grateful!

Thanks in advance!

I bought a flashed TR, and it will arrive this week. Did you have to do any ssdt to make it work?
Also, for the hotplug, did you need any other ssdt?
If you could tell me a bit about your experience I would be grateful!
Thanks in advance!

I can only speak for using a Designare Z390 firmware on my TR but this is the SSDT i use:

@scottkendall (and anyone else who might know), I have some questions about the hot-plug capabilities of a flashed card:

Generally speaking, what are the limitations?

Say I have an OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock, will I be able to hot-swap or plug/unplug devices on the dock (USB, TB, SD Cards, Ethernet, Displayport, etc.)?

How does the TB flashing & setup relate to USB port limit configuration? Does the use of a TB hub with multiple USB ports, or even just the use of the USB-C ports relate to USB port limit configuration?

@scottkendall (and anyone else who might know), I have some questions about the hot-plug capabilities of a flashed card:

Generally speaking, what are the limitations?

Say I have an OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock, will I be able to hot-swap or plug/unplug devices on the dock (USB, TB, SD Cards, Ethernet, Displayport, etc.)?

How does the TB flashing & setup relate to USB port limit configuration? Does the use of a TB hub with multiple USB ports, or even just the use of the USB-C ports relate to USB port limit configuration?

It is possible to achieve hot-plug with and without modified firmware. Flashin the card requires an external flashing device, some people like myself used a Raspberry Pi with a SOIC 8 clip and some jumper wires.

Some devices work better with modified firmware, such as E-GPU, Apple Thunderbolt display, Thunderbolt Network, Targeted disk mode works partly in that you can connect to a Real mac that is in targeted disk mode. However, the Hack can not be put into target disk mode that is likely due to the boot loader and not the Thunderbolt.

USB3 ports are based on the Thunderbolt card's controller and do not impact the USB port count, while the USB2 needs to be plugged into one of the USB2 headers on your board and will impact the 15 port count. The ports on the Dock "hub" are controlled by either the controller on the card or by the controller on the Motherboard. And should not affect the overall port count.

It is possible to achieve hot-plug with and without modified firmware. Flashin the card requires an external flashing device, some people like myself used a Raspberry Pi with a SOIC 8 clip and some jumper wires.

Some devices work better with modified firmware, such as E-GPU, Apple Thunderbolt display, Thunderbolt Network, Targeted disk mode works partly in that you can connect to a Real mac that is in targeted disk mode. However, the Hack can not be put into target disk mode that is likely due to the boot loader and not the Thunderbolt.

USB3 ports are based on the Thunderbolt card's controller and do not impact the USB port count, while the USB2 needs to be plugged into one of the USB2 headers on your board and will impact the 15 port count. The ports on the Dock "hub" are controlled by either the controller on the card or by the controller on the Motherboard. And should not affect the overall port count.

Thanks so much for the quick reply @scottkendall

I've been lurking around here for months, and I've got a Raspberry Pi Zero W that I can do the procedure with. Still not 100% clear on the USB2 situation. So you're saying that I shouldn't connect any USB2 devices onto the OWC TB 3 Dock?

However, I'm not sure where to start with the firmware flash since my MoBo isn't listed here

Also, idk where to start with the SSDT approach - I can't seem to find any SSDT's that allow for hot-plug on my Designare EX X299... Could you kindly point me in the right direction? Even if that means modifying an SSDT, I just don't know which one to start with.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the quick reply @scottkendall

I've been lurking around here for months, and I've got a Raspberry Pi Zero W that I can do the procedure with. Still not 100% clear on the USB2 situation. So you're saying that I shouldn't connect any USB2 devices onto the OWC TB 3 Dock?

However, I'm not sure where to start with the firmware flash since my MoBo isn't listed here

Also, idk where to start with the SSDT approach - I can't seem to find any SSDT's that allow for hot-plug on my Designare EX X299... Could you kindly point me in the right direction? Even if that means modifying an SSDT, I just don't know which one to start with.

Thank you!

My mistake I was assuming you were using an AIC not an Onboard I guess I should have looked at your profile when I was responding. As I understand it for an Onboard the USB-C "TB3" ports Use USB2, and USB3 so for both to work on the Dock both have to be enabled in your USB mapping SSDT or Kext.

As for the SSDT you might want to ask @CaseySJ for some help if it were me I would use the DROM SSDT from the z390 Designare along with the flash for the z390 Designare board. I currently use NVM33 z390 Designare modified firmware on my GC Titan Ridge Card.

If you want to go the unflashed route @CaseySJ could probably help you in that department also. That is who helped me and has helped many with getting TB3 working as fully as possible.

So you're saying that I shouldn't connect any USB2 devices onto the OWC TB 3 Dock?
The OWC TB 3 Dock has its own USB controllers. USB 2.0 from the dock does not depend on USB 2.0 of the host Thunderbolt controller.

USB 2.0 from the Thunderbolt controller is only necessary if you want to use a USB 2.0 device directly from the Thunderbolt controller (such as a mouse or a mouse connected to a USB hub that is connected to the Thunderbolt controller).

Back