Contribute
Register
Ah, but there's a hitch. Even after running Hackintool, the 10.15.3 drive still will not stay in sleep, nor will it sleep automatically. So the problem persists. I thought that if I copied the functioning EFI folder from 10.14.6 to the Catalina drive that that would fix the problem. Not so much. Very confusing. I'm back to Mojave and will stay here for now. Maybe I will create a fresh install on a blank SSD one day when I have nothing else to do.

In this Link uploaded SSDT files for modified Titan Ridge AIC.

Hello all.
I know this thread is mostly about thunderbolt 3 on desktop but I'm hoping someone here can guide/help me with making the Type-C USB3.1 Gen2/Thunderbolt 3 work non ASUS Zenbook Pro UX580GE.

The USB3.1 Gen2/Thunderbolt 3 IC is "JHL6540 Thunderbolt 3 USB Controller (C step) [Alpine Ridge 4C 2016] with hardware ID: 8086:15D4.

The USB 2.0 is routed to the other USB3.1 Gen2 IC (8086:A36D) and they are working (hotplug, power ...)

If I start the laptop with no device connected to the 2 USB3/TB3 ports there the IC is not shown in IOReg and no USB3 device is detected but USB2 are (as they are routed to the other USB IC).

If I start the laptop with USB 3 flash drive connected to the 2 USB3/TB3 ports they appear in IOReg and the device gets mounted but if I remove and reconnect the device is no longer detected (so no hotplug).

I've read all the posts related to Thunderbolt 3 power/hot plug and most of them refer to USB3/TB3 on desktop configs and the ones I found for laptops are already compiled SSDTs with nothing in common with my config so I cant figure it out on how to do it on this platform.

Any help/hints are welcome

Attached is my debug dump with a dongle connected to USB3/TB3 port so the IC is shown in IOReg.

Attachments

• debug_17216.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 96
Hello all.
I know this thread is mostly about thunderbolt 3 on desktop but I'm hoping someone here can guide/help me with making the Type-C USB3.1 Gen2/Thunderbolt 3 work non ASUS Zenbook Pro UX580GE.

The USB3.1 Gen2/Thunderbolt 3 IC is "JHL6540 Thunderbolt 3 USB Controller (C step) [Alpine Ridge 4C 2016] with hardware ID: 8086:15D4.

The USB 2.0 is routed to the other USB3.1 Gen2 IC (8086:A36D) and they are working (hotplug, power ...)

If I start the laptop with no device connected to the 2 USB3/TB3 ports there the IC is not shown in IOReg and no USB3 device is detected but USB2 are (as they are routed to the other USB IC).

If I start the laptop with USB 3 flash drive connected to the 2 USB3/TB3 ports they appear in IOReg and the device gets mounted but if I remove and reconnect the device is no longer detected (so no hotplug).

I've read all the posts related to Thunderbolt 3 power/hot plug and most of them refer to USB3/TB3 on desktop configs and the ones I found for laptops are already compiled SSDTs with nothing in common with my config so I cant figure it out on how to do it on this platform.

Any help/hints are welcome

Attached is my debug dump with a dongle connected to USB3/TB3 port so the IC is shown in IOReg.
Is there a force power Thunderbolt setting in the laptop bios?

Unfortunately no.
It has a minimal set of options and for Thunderbolt 3 it has only the security options as it can be seen in attached screenshot
P_20200306_223745.jpg

But if I open the bios file I have the following hidden options
Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 10.44.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 10.45.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 10.45.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 10.45.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 10.46.06 PM.png

I can do a BIOS mod if it is required but I'd prefer to have stock BIOS and go with ACPI patching.

During my research I found a post regarding Thunderbolt 3 power but it refers to _PS0 method that I do not have inside _SB.PCI0.RP21 where the thunderbolt definition can be found on this laptop plus NHI0 device inside DSB0 and that chain I do not have and cant find a reference on what is the relation between that ACPI chain and the one this laptop has.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately no.
It has a minimal set of options and for Thunderbolt 3 it has only the security options as it can be seen in attached screenshot

But if I open the bios file I have the following hidden options
What's the name of the exe that lets you see the hidden options? In macOS, I use UEFIExtract and Universal IFR Extractor.

I can do a BIOS mod if it is required but I'd prefer to have stock BIOS and go with ACPI patching.

During my research I found a post regarding Thunderbolt 3 power but it refers to _PS0 method that I do not have inside _SB.PCI0.RP21 where the thunderbolt definition can be found on this laptop plus NHI0 device inside DSB0 and that chain I do not have and cant find a reference on what is the relation between that ACPI chain and the one this laptop has.
BIOS mod might be the easiest way.
Another option would be to use ifrextract, find where the GPIO3 Force Pwr option is saved, then search output of uefiextract for efi drivers that read from that location to see how it forces power. That might not be necessary if GPIO3 is a specific GPIO with a standard method for modifying it (there may be Linux or Acpi or EFI code that does that).

What's the name of the exe that lets you see the hidden options? In macOS, I use UEFIExtract and Universal IFR Extractor.
The screen shots are from AMIBCP done in Windows. I do not know of an app that dose the same thing for MacOS.

BIOS mod might be the easiest way.
True, but the manufacturer rolls out new updates to improve some of the features this laptop has and then I need to do them all over again.

Another option would be to use ifrextract, find where the GPIO3 Force Pwr option is saved, then search output of uefiextract for efi drivers that read from that location to see how it forces power. That might not be necessary if GPIO3 is a specific GPIO with a standard method for modifying it (there may be Linux or Acpi or EFI code that does that).
Thanks for the hints. I will ding into this and see what I can find. On the post I was talking about it did not say what tools were used to find the data used in making the DSDT patch.

From what I see it seems that this controller is detected under Linux so I will also look into the kernel source code and see what I can find.

I am posting in hopes someone might be able to offer some advise.
I am running Mojave 10.14.6 on a GA-X99-Designare EX mobo with a Gc titan ridge flashed with DSM2's firmware.
My issue I believe it has to do with the pci bridges on this board. Thunderbolt functions but no hotswap when I try to place the ssdt with my specific values.

As you can see here the controller is behind 2 pci bridges and PXSX does not exist.

Without SSDT.png

My card is at RP01 but without PXSX the SSDT won't work. So in the ssdt I renamed the first pci-bridge0 to PXSX.
Now with the ssdt in place, it appears the path in IO reg is half of what it should be and doesn't follow through with DSB0 and NHI0.

WIth TB SSDT.png

If anyone is willing to help I have attached a zip of my io reg with and without the ssdt as well as the ssdt .aml itself.

Attachments

• Alex Troubleshoot Files.zip
    11.5 MB · Views: 127
I recently bought a LG Ultrafine 5k Thunderbolt display. It is detected in Windows 10 and macOS. Everything is working fine so far. I do not intend to hotplug it. However, there are some minor grumbles which I think might be related to hotplugging and this SSDT.

I am using a Gigabyte Titan Ridge updated to the newest firmware. I installed the SSDT-TB3.aml V3.1 from this thread and adapted to my RP21:

Screenshot 2020-03-13 at 12.04.49.png

My to issues are

The screens USB Hub (and with it sound + downstream usb devices) are not detected after a soft reboot. This is true for Windows 10 and macOS. I have to shutdown (either Windows 10 or macOS) completely to have working Thunderbolt on the next boot. The screen itself (graphics) is working even with a soft reboot.

Despite the fact the the screen is working and the integrated USB 3.1 hub of the screen is attached macOS says that no thunderbolt devices are detected:
Screenshot 2020-03-13 at 12.09.34.png

Screenshot 2020-03-13 at 12.10.11.png

Does anyone encounter the same issues?

Reactions: dez
Back