Contribute
Register
@sssteve

BIOS update - I use an Asus board and there many more options under Thunderbolt. Is yours up to date?

The Gigabyte board has almost no setting for TB unless you are using like F7 I rolled back to that bios and bought an Alpine ridge for testing purposes. F11 is the first bios for Gigabyte that supports the Titan ridge but they removed a lot of settings. I am wondering if there is an unlocked version of the bios that has more settings I did a search but I was not able to locate on in the time I had to dedicate to it.

Hi All, Sorry for being slow, hectic at work.

Your SSDT is not correctly pointing to the right ACPI paths. You have to edit it to point to PCI0.RP09.PXSX.
What laptop or specs do you have? Can you add it to your profile?

Also, send over your EFI and IOReg.

I'm using a Thinkpad X1 Yoga, 2nd Gen. i7-7600U, 8GB of RAM, FHD Panel. See IOReg and EFI attched. I think they are pointing to the right location. Namely RP09.

I'm trying to figure out how to add this to my profile.

So that’s the problem no PCI in system info?

So right now I'm getting PCI info and USB-C hotplug / unplug. The IOReg attached is with a lenovo TB3 dock plugged in. However, as soon as I connect a display to the DP port, the machine restarts. When I let it boot, no signal is on the display. When I unplug the display, it restarts again. When the dock does not have any displays attached, I can plug and unplug at will without any issues. That said, this is the state for today. Yesterday I played with it and the displays were working sometimes, but the USBs on the dock were not. I'm not sure what is going on. Any help?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17.6 MB · Views: 154
  • IOReg.ioreg
    17.6 MB · Views: 94
  • PCI-info.png
    PCI-info.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 130
The Gigabyte board has almost no setting for TB unless you are using like F7 I rolled back to that bios and bought an Alpine ridge for testing purposes. F11 is the first bios for Gigabyte that supports the Titan ridge but they removed a lot of settings. I am wondering if there is an unlocked version of the bios that has more settings I did a search but I was not able to locate on in the time I had to dedicate to it.

Unfortunately I am on f22a, and there isn't much I can customize on the Thunderbolt session.

Hi All, Sorry for being slow, hectic at work.

I'm using a Thinkpad X1 Yoga, 2nd Gen. i7-7600U, 8GB of RAM, FHD Panel. See IOReg and EFI attched. I think they are pointing to the right location. Namely RP09.

I'm trying to figure out how to add this to my profile.

So right now I'm getting PCI info and USB-C hotplug / unplug. The IOReg attached is with a lenovo TB3 dock plugged in. However, as soon as I connect a display to the DP port, the machine restarts. When I let it boot, no signal is on the display. When I unplug the display, it restarts again. When the dock does not have any displays attached, I can plug and unplug at will without any issues. That said, this is the state for today. Yesterday I played with it and the displays were working sometimes, but the USBs on the dock were not. I'm not sure what is going on. Any help?

I think that you are using an old thunderbolt SSDT-TB3.aml Try the one from KGP. Yours is I believe outdated. You can see in the system info that your USB posts are still not defined correctly. You have to edit it also. After that try the ThunderboltReset.kext and ForcePower.efi.

It's worth a shot for anyone having issues if using an iMac smbios, to set primary display to GPU and enable Multi-Monitor if possible in the BIOS. I upgraded to macOS Catalina and since I was initially having power management issues after that, I had reset my BIOS settings to default and started to set my Thunderbolt settings back to how they were. For macOS High Sierra, I had GPU is my primary display with Multi-Monitor support enabled but didn't set it like that for macOS Catalina; the BIOS reset to default settings set primary display back to Auto. I reverted those two settings and Hot-Plug works once again.

Last edited:
Ive been in a success thread based on my 8700k Gigabyte z370 gaming 7 with Alpine Ridge TB3 card but haven't gotten a response there so continued to look and found this.. Can anyone tell me if Im close? or better yet what I need ? here's the other posting it wouldn't let me repost here kept getting an error The system in question is posting this LOL https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...l-p2715q-4k-60hz.252989/page-188#post-2049674

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17.2 MB · Views: 139
Hi, is there anyone solved HP for X299 DesignareEx? Mine is working HP for Port#1 but not for #2. And Port#1 is working once HP but when I re do Hop swap, port#1 loses HP as well.

Overview
The Thunderbolt hotplug is a problem that has existed for many years, and until now the only way to have working TB devices is to connect them and turn them on before boot.
Finally after a long time some progress has been made.

This is not a guide! But a starting point for further progress.

CHIPSET X299 - TB on PEG
Thunderbolt hotplug is fully supported!
The complete guide for the X299 TB hotplug can be found HERE in the @kgp guide.

OTHERS CHIPSET - TB on PCH
The hotplug has not yet been fully implemented for now, but considerable progress has been made.
ATTENTION:
All the next SSDTs are based on my ACPI paths (PCI0.RP05), if your paths are different you have to modify them inside the SSDT.
> If you're not familiar with this check the EXTRA part at the end of this post <

For many Gigabyte user with 300_Series chipsets, the hotplug now works perfectly!
Seems that the TB hotplug is BIOS-dependent.

What you need:
It is necessary to update/downgrade the BIOS to a specific version that shows this description:
  1. Update CPU microcode for upcoming CPU
  2. Improve windows boot time
For example for the GB Z370 Ultra Gaming is the F10.
View attachment 382026
Remember to clean the CMOS after bios update and use the appropriate settings for your OS.

At this point in the section Peripherals/Thunderbolt, use these settings:
IMPORTANT!! Do not change the settings inside the red square!! They could kill your PCI-TB card.
View attachment 382028

Save everything and boot your system. I suggest doing an NVRAM reset by pressing f11 on the clover screen.

Now download the SSDT TB from the kgp guide, or use the one pre-edited on this thread: DOWNLOAD SSDT-Z370-THB3HP
No other clover settings are needed. Reboot, et voilà!

Unfortunately I do not know if the new Titan Ridge works, because it requires a later BIOS version.
If you use a TB dock (with auto power off), turn off the ERP in the bios, otherwise it will not turn on automatically at boot, but you will be forced to disconnect and reconnect it.

There are other ways to have the hotplug, but they are incomplete..

METHOD 1
Experimental SSDT to force the hotplug on TB port 1
Works only with the THB_C cable connected.

I started by adapting the SSDTs used for the X299 chipset and by modifying some _DSM methods I got positive results.
For these changes I used the original Apple Thunderbolt SSDTs:
SSDT-Thunderbolt original iMac18,3 Download
SSDT-Thunderbolt original iMacPro Download

If you have only one Thunderbolt device you can use next two SSDT!
Both SSDTs add the PCI information to System info.
USB-C not tested, I do not know if it works correctly.
Both ssdt work up to the second device, the next ones are not disconnected/reconnected correctly.
These SSDTs (V1 and V2) could be cause reboot after shutdown, it is recommended to use Fix Shutdown in Clover.
A) SSDT V1: Download
No arbitrary inject in Clover are needed.
I inserted the "PCI-Thunderbolt One" _DSM Method on DSB1 and in this way you can hotplug one device at a time.
Precisely this is what happens:
STEP 1: UAD-2 Satellite and Apollo Twin connected and turned on at boot time.
STEP 2: I turned off and then turned on the only the Apollo Twin, which was reconnected properly.
STEP 3: I turned off and on both devices, but only the first (UAD-2 Satellite) connected correctly.
ssdt-v1-png.327631

B) SSDT V2: Download
No arbitrary inject in Clover are needed.
This is similar to the SSDT V1, but I added the "PCIHotplugcapable Zero" _DSM Method on DSB2 (like in iMac18,3 and iMacPro).
STEP 1: UAD-2 Satellite and Apollo Twin connected and turned on at boot time.
STEP 2: I turned off and on both devices, but only the first (UAD-2 Satellite) connected correctly, while the Apollo Twin is not recognized correctly.
The addresses of the devices change, in fact they are mixed in a strange way on IOReg.
ssdt-v2-png.327639

METHOD 2 (without THB_C cable): SSDT below
PREMISE: This method is only applicable to those using a PCI-Thunderbolt card and it can be useful to those who use a TB dock because it requires a device connected and turned on at boot.
Based on a discovery made by @crismac2013, I removed the THB_C cable from my GC-Alpine Ridge and something strange happened.
If you turn on the computer without Thunderbolt devices connected the PCI-TB card is not loaded, see Ioreg:
without-thb_c-and-device-png.327729

But if I have a device connected and turned on before boot the PCI card is recognized and loaded correctly, but not only, in this way you have the hotplug of all devices!
without-thb_c-png.327642

Because this happens you have 2 choices:
1- Add these Arbitrary inject on Clover:

The PciAddr is that of PXSX (See on your ioreg):

2- Or use this SSDT without Arbitrary inject: SSDT V3 Download
This solution is preferable because in this way the connected devices are shown correctly on System Info under PCI.

To succeed try these steps:
1- With your computer turned off, remove the THB_C cable.
2- Boot, enable Fix Shutdown* in Clover and add the SSDT
3- Turn off the computer
4- Connect the TB dock (The TB docks are equipped with auto power off, check that once connected it will turn on -green LED-)
5- Wait few seconds and turn on the computer
Now you should have the hotplug of all TB devices.

*I noticed that with Fix Shutdown the computer is not totally switched off, the USB and TB devices remain on.

The main problem is that when the TB is shared in the PCH lines it is not loaded by the system without THB_C cable, unlike those who have the TB under the PEG lines.

Obviously this is not a solution, but it makes clear that the problems with the TB hotplug derive from the functions that add the THB_C cable, so we are faced with two ways:
1- Finding the way to make the PCI card load from the system even without a connected THB_C cable
2- Understand what features this cable provides and whether it can be found in ACPI paths to include it in the SSDT. This would solve the problem for everyone.

>> Anyone who discovers something new that can help, is invited to share it possibly by inserting IOREG or any other data that can help to better understand <<

EXTRA:
An idiot mini guide to change the SSDTs ACPI path correctly :thumbup:

Download IORegistryExplorer.app (search on the web)
Download the last MaciASL.app from Rehabman repository: Download

Open your IOReg and type "Thunderbolt" in search bar in IOService view.
View attachment 327939
If your ACPI paths are different from mine (PCI0 and RP05) you will need to replace them.
Then open your SSDT with MaciASL and go to Edit > Find > Find and Replace
Check that they are correct and click on All (I entered RP09 as an example).
Do the same thing also with PCI0 if it is different from mine.
View attachment 327941
When you have replaced all ACPI paths, save and exit.
@LeleTuratti - I am comparing V3.1 SSDT and Z370 SSDT and the TB SSDT I have been using (attached). I have the Titan Ridge card and the Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5. I have changed the two SSDT's you have attached to RP21. I see the difference in the code between the three SSDTs but am not sure which to choose. As you have written, hot plug is a problem and there are sleep issues. I have had major problems with TB and 10.15.x and have re-installed my copy of 10.14.5 and the sleep issues with the ThunderBay4 enclosure have abated. The system will sleep and wake without problem. I know from OWC that there are conflicts between the enclosure and 10.15.x that have yet to be resolved. These are severe enough to have made use of Catalina and the TB4 enclosure not viable. In short, I am hoping to at the very minimum get hot swop to work. Let me know what you thunk word work best in my situation. Thank you.

Attachments

• SSDT-Z390-RP21-ALPINE-RIDGE-TB3HP.aml.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 108
Great! Proper Thunderbolt behaviour is the final frontier on my Hack.

Hi I have same built can you share the bios for gigabyte z390 designare and more info

Thank you

Back