Contribute
Register
Hi friend ! I have a hackinyish system runing fine but wih no TB hotplug . This causes a few problems i think cause sometimes it wont boot to the OS so i have to restart .

I have a Asus Z97-AR motherboard i7 4770k
with a Asus EX3 . Im trying to follow this thread but cant seem to get how this is done . Can this be done on my system ?
Is there any help guide on how to do that ?

Thanks

Enable Hot-Plug ASUS z170-Deluxe Motherboard/Thunderbolt EX3 PCI Expansion Card

• Method Implemented - SSDT-TB3 V1.aml only, no CLOVER modifications to Devices > PciAddr Arbitrary
  • Important - Using an iMac smbios, I had to set GPU as primary display in BIOS and enable Multi-Monitor support.
  • Change the following BIOS Settings - Some setting may automatically set when you enable Thunderbolt(TM) Support​
    • Advanced\Onboard Devices Configuration​
      • PCI-EX16_3 Bandwidth\X4 Mode
        Onboard Devices Configuration.png
    • Advanced\Thunderbolt(TM) Configuration​
      • Thunderbolt(TM) Support\Enabled​
      • Thunderbolt Usb Support\Enabled​
      • Thunderbolt Boot Support\Enabled​
      • AIC Support\Enabled​
      • AR AIC Support\Enabled​
      • Wake from Thunderbolt(TM) Devices\On​
      • Thunderbolt(TM) PCIe Cache-line size\128​
      • GPIO3 Force Pwr\On​
      • Wait time in ms after applying Force Pwr\200​
      • Skip PCI OptionRom\Disabled​
      • ACPI Removal Object Support\Disabled​
      • Security Level\No Security​
      • Reserve mem per phy slot\32​
      • Reserve P mem per phy slot\32​
      • Native OS Hot Plug\On​
      • SW SMI on TBT hot-plug\Enabled​
      • GPIO filter\Enabled​
      • ACPI Notify on TBT Hot-plug\Enabled​
      • MSI enabled in FADT\Enabled​
      • Enable CLK REQ\Disabled​
      • Enable ASPM\Disabled​
      • Enabled LTR\Disabled​
      • AIC Location Group\SB PCIE Slot​
      • AIC Location\PCIEx16_3
        Thunderbolt Configuration.png
        Thunderbolt Configuration 2.png

• Boot\Above 4G Decoding\Enabled
    Above 4G Decoding.png

• Save settings and restart.

• Next you want to make sure the Thunderbolt Device has been enabled in Windows first. If that's the case, boot to macOS. You want to make sure that the Thunderbolt Device connects after macOS loads.
    Apollo Twin Duo .png
  • You'll want to run IOJones or Registry Explorer and look for PCI0/AppleACPIPCI/RP17
    • You'll notice that underneath RP17 acpi-path PXSX and pci-bridge 0 and 1 are mapped. This is incorrect.
      No SSDT-TB_V1.png
  • Download SSDT-TB3 V1.zip (also on post #1 of thread). Open it with MaciASL and find/replace RP05 with RP17 (for z170-Deluxe motheboard)
    SSDT-TB V1.png
  • Mount the EFI folder and save the SSDT that you just edited to the patched folder located at CLOVER>ACPI>patched.
  • Restart and run IOJones or Registry Explorer. You'll want to verify that the acpi paths and pci-bridges are renamed correctly as such
    With SSDT-TB_V1.png
  • Test hot-plug to confirm your implementation.
A few things that I noticed after my implementation:

• Power off Card menu icon appeared. It didn't do anything except eject my Apollo Twin Duo. If I power the device off and turn it back on, the icon doesn't show up unless I restart; not a big deal.
    Power off card.png

• PCI Devices
PCI list.png

• Hot-plug also works after Sleep/Wake states.
  • Don't need to boot with my Apollo Twin powered on for it to connect any more with the SSDT. It will connect regardless.

Here's a short clip showing hot-plug:

Thanks to @LeleTuratti for the research and providing the SSDT templates.​

Attachments

• Onboard Devices Configuration.png
    Onboard Devices Configuration.png
    216.5 KB · Views: 322
  • Thunderbolt Configuration 3.png
    Thunderbolt Configuration 3.png
    202.7 KB · Views: 581
  • Above 4G Decoding.png
    Above 4G Decoding.png
    205.7 KB · Views: 303
  • Above 4G Decoding.png
    Above 4G Decoding.png
    205.7 KB · Views: 296
  • PCI list.png
    PCI list.png
    279.7 KB · Views: 393
  • PCI list.png
    PCI list.png
    279.7 KB · Views: 369
Last edited:
Hi friend and thanks for the reply ! I just added your SSDT for the Z370 to my Acpi>patched folder and hot swap working perfect now . No more missed boot with my TB interface and pretty solid/stable . My TB is dual with USB3.1 and the Usb is working great . I also tried with the V1 as you suggested but the usb didn't worked . It is fine to use the one I'm using or I have to use the V1 ? How to enable the usb pot if so ? Thanks again !

HI again ! :(

I just format my system to start 10.14.6 Mojave from scratch but now the hot swap won't work . Just did like the same like last time but don't no luck this time . The Card loads and the USB works BUT only disabling security on TB bios settings . The downside with the security disabled is that sometimes the interface wont boot and is very unstable :( ! That last time I just added the Z370 ssdt to the ACPI patched folder and enable secure connect on the TB Bios settings and it was working perfect and with hot swap .

Tried to follow the guide but here is the thing . When I boot with any SSDTs the interface boot but there is NO result with the IOREG about thunderbolt . So I'm stuck here .

Please help!

Last edited:
!!! There seems to be good news for REAL Thunderbolt live HotPlug/HotSwap functionallity while your Hackintosh is running !!!

I found a solution with just 7 rows of code within any of your Thunderbolt-SSDTs (you are just using right now to make it work) to make HotPlug/HotSwap work for any Thunderbolt/USB-C device possible w/o the need for shutdown/restart of the machine.

Right now i still test it with some german guys to make sure, it runs on any motherboard (not just ASRock Z3x0 like mine). If all tests confirmed it working succesfully, i promise, i will provide you with a detailed instruction on how to make it work.

And SORRY, it's still a solution for HotPlug/HotSwap with Thunderbolt, it's NOT a solution to make Thunderbolt-tree visible under Systeminformation/Thunderbolt

So far you will find attached an IORegistryExplorer file of my System connected with CalDigit ThunderboltStation 2 connected to CalDigit ThunderboltStation 3 on Port #1 of GC Titan Ridge PCIe Card and a LaCie Tb2-SSD connected to Port #2

I just swapped the Devices on Port #1 to Port #2 and vice versa while runnning my machine - not turning off/on before swapping. You will notice this in the IOReg file by the red parts within Thunderbolt Part at PCI0-PEG2. RED lines mean in which position the TB-device was connected before HotSwapping it to the new position, black lines mean where it sits right now.

Just a little notice: TB-SSDs/TB-HDDs need to be unmounted before hotswapping - otherwise you will get error message of not correctly unmounted device ;-)

Attachments

• IOReg_allTB3-Devices_I_have.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 343
Hello. Sorry for my English. I use google translator. It is very important for me to understand, in the table of contents of the post it says:
"At this point in the section Peripherals / Thunderbolt, use these settings:
IMPORTANT !! Do not change the settings inside the red square !! They could kill your PCI-TB card."
Does this mean that you do not change the settings inside the red square from the default ones or from the ones indicated on the screen?
The bottom line is that already on two Gigabyte Designare Z390 motherboards, the thunderbolt settings completely disappeared from the BIOS when these values were set. Indicated in the screenshot. That is, the thunderbolt card has died. It is very necessary to understand why.
The background is this: I set the settings as indicated in the post on this motherboard manual. "[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Designare Z390 (Thunderbolt 3) + i7-9700K + AMD RX 580". But with them, the Windows system does not see the thunderbolt. Then the settings were reset to the factory settings and the firmware was updated with the thunderbolt drivers from the motherboard. Then, the Mac OS booted with factory settings. Thunderbolt was at ioregistryexplorer. Then they changed to the ones indicated in the manual and rebooted. And he disappeared. I want to understand the reason.

Last edited:
Absolutely! Find them attached.
Maybe this will help. AppleLif's Russian-language forum is excited about Intel® HD Graphics 3000, 4000, 4400, 4600, 5000, 5500, 5600, 520, 530, 630: Known issues.
Known Issues:
- Truncated cards: HD2000, HD2500 can only be used for IQSV (in the original Mac they are also used only for this), there are no solutions.
- Intel Pentium / Celeron graphics do not start, no solutions.
- Initialization of the HDMI display to a black screen on Haswell and higher, is solved in Green or macOS 10.13.4.
- Support for 2 or more monitors on desktop Intel Skylake and newer is missing or buggy, in 10.14.x there is a trend to improve the situation.
- Monitors do not wake up on desktops with Intel Skylake or newer, connection via DisplayPort or updating to 10.14.x can help.
And through the thunderbolt it is connected to the integrated graphics card.

Hi Managed to get it working my problem is that sometimes the the TB card won't boot into the OS and I have to restart . This is annoying . Any clue ?

Thanks

Hi All
After update F4 bios Gc-Alpine ridge XHC4 3.1 controller missing.
How to fix this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 3.46.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 3.46.49 PM.png
    125.7 KB · Views: 246
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 3.49.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 3.49.54 PM.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 251
Did anyone get this working with an Apollo Twin MK2 via Apple Thunderbolt Adapter
and an Asrock z370 Gaming m-itx board?

Back