Contribute
Register
Hi there. I've never been able to get hot-swap working with any SSDT. And I've never witnessed it. (YouTube, or it doesn't exist. :think: ) The best I have been able to do is get two discrete ports working using a Titan Ridge card. -It's the same SSDT for Alpine Ridge. Only the name changed. I had to "activate" the second port and its device via Windows since we're using an add-in card.

I always thought that the reason hotswap does not work on this board is that the add-in card runs through the PCH -or Platform Controller Hub and the lack of a real or persistent Thunderbolt node. I think that's the reason that I have to power-up the Apollo 8 before I power up the PC. This is not the case with Windows 10 nor any of my 2012 Mini models.

For my use, hotswap is being able to switch off the power on my Apollo 8 and then get the driver to reconnect if I turned it back on later.) I've heard tales of hotswap working on mobos with onboard Thunderbolt ports (not an add-in card) -like the Z390. But I've also read of users of the Apollo series with Thunderbolt 2 (with Thunderbolt 3 adapters) that can't use thier devices on the Z390 because of the lack of backwards compatibility. But the Arrow is TB3, so I think you'd be fine.

I've spent way too much time (I first built my machine a year ago today) fighting Thunderbolt hotswap/hotpower/hotdriver for the Apollo and the BMD Multidock. Grab my Z370 patches from here. I can't do any better. @jb007 Do you have any thoughts on this matter?

Well I cant explain it, but it seems to work here. I got a Caldigit TS3 dock today, can power it off and on, and it hot swaps. If there is a UAD Arrow in the chain after it, it also gets reconnected. I can change the order of devices, and change ports, and everything appears every time. Granted this could still be different to your Apollo situation, but without an Apollo I cant know. Will happily film it if it interests anyone in the slightest.

Edit: Just tried a (temporary) fresh install of Mojave instead of High Sierra, and thunderbolt is hot-swapping there also. Including powering off/on the TS3 (and arrow along with it), daisy chaining, port changing etc.

Edit2: Some footage of the hotswap working, ignore the mess, the dock was bought for another computer and is only being used here to experiment with. Again I know this might not work with all devices like the Apollo. https://www.bitchute.com/video/urlvwbAg19eu/

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that. I think that powering down an Apollo 8 series (power switch on the front) must be messing with the driver that makes the interface connect to the system. IDK why I can get the device back in Windows and on my 2012 Mini but not on this. It was the same deal with Alpine Ridge as Titan Ridge, but with TR, at least I can use both TB ports. I did try daisy-chaining the Apollo, hanging it off of the BMD Multidock as I would with the Mini, thinking that there would be some sort of residual connection left in the Thunderbolt circuit itself. But no.

Question: Is there a roundtrip latency difference by having your Arrow attached to the CalDigit?

Would anyone mind having a look at my Thunderbolt SSDT/DTGP? It was originally written by @kgp and I wonder if I need to change anything. I've already changed RP05 to RP21. I'm also attaching a sample of the UAD Mixer process in text format. It looks really complex to me. I'm also attaching my EFI, sans SN and themes.

Attachments

• UAD Mixer Engine Process.txt.zip
    21.8 KB · Views: 152
  • EFI.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 168
I thought this SSDT was properly implementing thunderbolt in general. I first had an Aorus Gaming 7 Z370 with Alpine Ridge and used this SSDT for "implementation" and saw Alpine Ridge in PCI devices. But then I switched over to Titan Ridge card, and it still says Alpine Ridge in PCI. This seems a spoofed identifier and not actual recognition of the chipset and driving it properly.

I can confirm dual ports and hot plug working on Z390 Designare following CaseyJ's build guide.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It works.
1.For gigabyte aurus gaming wifi, the right bios is F5.
Bios F4 doesn't work.
2. you need to change the thunderbolt address in the ssdt, following the method at the end of the author's post. Mine is pci0 rp5.
3 it solves the problem of lg 5k, which lost all the functions: camera, sound,.. without this remedy.
Now thanks to this guide, lg 5k works perfectly in Hackintosh.

aths (PCI0.RP05), if your
Overview
The Thunderbolt hotplug is a problem that has existed for many years, and until now the only way to have working TB devices is to connect them and turn them on before boot.
Finally after a long time some progress has been made.

This is not a guide! But a starting point for further progress.

CHIPSET X299 - TB on PEG
Thunderbolt hotplug is fully supported!
The complete guide for the X299 TB hotplug can be found HERE in the @kgp guide.

OTHERS CHIPSET - TB on PCH
The hotplug has not yet been fully implemented for now, but considerable progress has been made.
ATTENTION:
All the next SSDTs are based on my ACPI paths (PCI0.RP05), if your paths are different you have to modify them inside the SSDT.
> If you're not familiar with this check the EXTRA part at the end of this post <

For many Gigabyte user with 300_Series chipsets, the hotplug now works perfectly!
Seems that the TB hotplug is BIOS-dependent.

What you need:
It is necessary to update/downgrade the BIOS to a specific version that shows this description:
  1. Update CPU microcode for upcoming CPU
  2. Improve windows boot time
For example for the GB Z370 Ultra Gaming is the F10.
View attachment 382026
Remember to clean the CMOS after bios update and use the appropriate settings for your OS.

At this point in the section Peripherals/Thunderbolt, use these settings:
IMPORTANT!! Do not change the settings inside the red square!! They could kill your PCI-TB card.
View attachment 382028

Save everything and boot your system. I suggest doing an NVRAM reset by pressing f11 on the clover screen.

Now download the SSDT TB from the kgp guide, or use the one pre-edited on this thread: DOWNLOAD SSDT-Z370-THB3HP
No other clover settings are needed. Reboot, et voilà!

Unfortunately I do not know if the new Titan Ridge works, because it requires a later BIOS version.
If you use a TB dock (with auto power off), turn off the ERP in the bios, otherwise it will not turn on automatically at boot, but you will be forced to disconnect and reconnect it.

There are other ways to have the hotplug, but they are incomplete..

METHOD 1
Experimental SSDT to force the hotplug on TB port 1
Works only with the THB_C cable connected.

I started by adapting the SSDTs used for the X299 chipset and by modifying some _DSM methods I got positive results.
For these changes I used the original Apple Thunderbolt SSDTs:
SSDT-Thunderbolt original iMac18,3 Download
SSDT-Thunderbolt original iMacPro Download

If you have only one Thunderbolt device you can use next two SSDT!
Both SSDTs add the PCI information to System info.
USB-C not tested, I do not know if it works correctly.
Both ssdt work up to the second device, the next ones are not disconnected/reconnected correctly.
These SSDTs (V1 and V2) could be cause reboot after shutdown, it is recommended to use Fix Shutdown in Clover.
A) SSDT V1: Download
No arbitrary inject in Clover are needed.
I inserted the "PCI-Thunderbolt One" _DSM Method on DSB1 and in this way you can hotplug one device at a time.
Precisely this is what happens:
STEP 1: UAD-2 Satellite and Apollo Twin connected and turned on at boot time.
STEP 2: I turned off and then turned on the only the Apollo Twin, which was reconnected properly.
STEP 3: I turned off and on both devices, but only the first (UAD-2 Satellite) connected correctly.
ssdt-v1-png.327631

B) SSDT V2: Download
No arbitrary inject in Clover are needed.
This is similar to the SSDT V1, but I added the "PCIHotplugcapable Zero" _DSM Method on DSB2 (like in iMac18,3 and iMacPro).
STEP 1: UAD-2 Satellite and Apollo Twin connected and turned on at boot time.
STEP 2: I turned off and on both devices, but only the first (UAD-2 Satellite) connected correctly, while the Apollo Twin is not recognized correctly.
The addresses of the devices change, in fact they are mixed in a strange way on IOReg.
ssdt-v2-png.327639

METHOD 2 (without THB_C cable): SSDT below
PREMISE: This method is only applicable to those using a PCI-Thunderbolt card and it can be useful to those who use a TB dock because it requires a device connected and turned on at boot.
Based on a discovery made by @crismac2013, I removed the THB_C cable from my GC-Alpine Ridge and something strange happened.
If you turn on the computer without Thunderbolt devices connected the PCI-TB card is not loaded, see Ioreg:
without-thb_c-and-device-png.327729

But if I have a device connected and turned on before boot the PCI card is recognized and loaded correctly, but not only, in this way you have the hotplug of all devices!
without-thb_c-png.327642

Because this happens you have 2 choices:
1- Add these Arbitrary inject on Clover:

The PciAddr is that of PXSX (See on your ioreg):

2- Or use this SSDT without Arbitrary inject: SSDT V3 Download
This solution is preferable because in this way the connected devices are shown correctly on System Info under PCI.

To succeed try these steps:
1- With your computer turned off, remove the THB_C cable.
2- Boot, enable Fix Shutdown* in Clover and add the SSDT
3- Turn off the computer
4- Connect the TB dock (The TB docks are equipped with auto power off, check that once connected it will turn on -green LED-)
5- Wait few seconds and turn on the computer
Now you should have the hotplug of all TB devices.

*I noticed that with Fix Shutdown the computer is not totally switched off, the USB and TB devices remain on.

The main problem is that when the TB is shared in the PCH lines it is not loaded by the system without THB_C cable, unlike those who have the TB under the PEG lines.

Obviously this is not a solution, but it makes clear that the problems with the TB hotplug derive from the functions that add the THB_C cable, so we are faced with two ways:
1- Finding the way to make the PCI card load from the system even without a connected THB_C cable
2- Understand what features this cable provides and whether it can be found in ACPI paths to include it in the SSDT. This would solve the problem for everyone.

>> Anyone who discovers something new that can help, is invited to share it possibly by inserting IOREG or any other data that can help to better understand <<

EXTRA:
An idiot mini guide to change the SSDTs ACPI path correctly :thumbup:

Download IORegistryExplorer.app (search on the web)
Download the last MaciASL.app from Rehabman repository: Download

Open your IOReg and type "Thunderbolt" in search bar in IOService view.
View attachment 327939
If your ACPI paths are different from mine (PCI0 and RP05) you will need to replace them.
Then open your SSDT with MaciASL and go to Edit > Find > Find and Replace
Check that they are correct and click on All (I entered RP09 as an example).
Do the same thing also with PCI0 if it is different from mine.
View attachment 327941
When you have replaced all ACPI paths, save and exit.

@LeleTuratti @kgp, big thanks for your contributions here. I've been able to work in pro audio without limitations because of you guys and this community.

With version SSDT V2 from here I'm able to properly see Thunderbolt NHI and USB C in system profiler. I remember reading somewhere from @kgp that I needed to see those before Hotplug would work. Im still not able to Hotplug but I did notice that my location comes up as internal instead of a slot.

Is this what I should be chasing down?

Side note, in IOreg the usb for the card (ex3 by the way) came up as XHC3 instead of XHC2 which is what's in the SSDT. I edited that, was that the right move as well?

Has anyone here tried making a Fake PCIID injector for this?

Edit: This was dumb, ignore.

Last edited:
Hi everyone and first of all thank you for all the work done here and elsewhere for making thunderbolt available on hacks.

I built, thanks to all of you, a fully working machine for music making.

MB: ASUS Z370 Deluxe Prime A
CPU: i7 8700 K
GFX: RX 580
TB: ASUS TB EX3
SOUND CARD: Focusrite Red 4Pre - It is connected to TBEX3 via Apple TB 3 to TB2 adapter.

I have one problem, though.

My sound card is working ok, hot swap is working, sleep is working but the Rednet control 2.3.3 (or 2.4b1) app sometimes sees the TB sound card and sometimes doesn't.

On the first boot it always opens ok. But if I close Rednet Control I have to open and close it several times to get it to connect to the thunderbolt sound card.

Every 3rd or 4th time I launch it doesn't see the device (Device not detected) but the sound card works regardless of the app.

Focusrite suppport says that in that case check if the device is listed in the Thunderbolt section in the system profile. Well, of course it is not, since we don't have TB local node implemented, yet.

But why does it "see" it sometimes, and sometimes not... ?

What is interesting, the previous control app "Focusrite Control 2" always connected fine. 100% of the times. Just after they switched Red 4Pre to Rednet Control the trouble began.

I have linked my debug files and focusrite drivers (the old connecting one and the new not so much) if somebody is interested in helping me out. Maybe the driver has some clues on TB local node implementation.... just guessing here...

P.S.

1. It doesn't happen on a real mac (since red device is visible under thunderbolt)
2. I tried all possible BIOS thunderbolt settings

Thanks everybody, once more.

Attachments

• 8949.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 223
  • Driver that always connected.zip
    40.8 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Damn:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:
Over there in Germany someone found a way for Thunderbolt Onboard Solutions.

Yeah, but he refuses to share the additional method he's found unless you pay him to build you a computer :rolleyes:

Yeah, but he refuses to share the additional method he's found unless you pay him to build you a computer :rolleyes:

That's my mind blowing to charge to me. Off topic I know but seems scummy to me.

Last edited:
That's my blowing to charge to me. Off topic I know but seems scummy to me.
We’ve all gotta make a living. I don’t begrudge him that, but yeah - lotta standing on the shoulders of other people’s work going on there by the looks of it.

Honestly, based on the videos, it’s the same Hotplug we all have now - just targeted at on board TB3 users.

Back