Contribute
Register
Hi all, i am trying to get hotplug working with my thunderbolt Apline Ridge card plugged on a X299 mobo. I can't get this to work with any of the SSDTs provided here kindly by KGP.
The Alpine Ridge show in the macOS PCI listings only if i plugged device before boot. (This is the same with USB3)
Here is my SSDTs and Ioreg file (with thunderbolt 3 devices plugged in at startup).

Any help would be very much appreciated. Best regards

That's normal. You have to boot your Thunderbolt stuff well ahead of POST or it won't work unless you're running Windows 10 or a real Mac. Power cycling a connected device will also break the connection. IDK why, it's just the current state of Thunderbolt, from the majestic Alpine Ridge to the mighty Titan Ridge.

Hoping someone can help me out.. I have the GB z370 Gaming 5 w Alpine Ridge card, and was trying to see if I could get hot plugging working. My setup went from manageable to worse.

I use a thunderbolt drive enclosure, and a thunderbolt audio device. The thunderbolt audio device gets switched between computers frequently, so my initial solution was to have the thunderbolt audio cable daisy chained to the enclosure, which then went to the computer. This way, while I would need to restart the system, the drives wouldn't get suddenly ejected. (I only had one thunderbolt 2->3 adapter at the time)

In an attempt to get hot plugging working, I used the pre-edited Z370 SSDT on the first page of the thread, installed F10 bios, and follows all configuration settings. When I booted, hot plugging still doesn't work. However, the behavior of thunderbolt is worse now. If I unplug the audio device daisy chained to the drives (but the drives remain plugged in to the computer), the drives will freeze up and eject.

I tried getting a second Thunderbolt 2->3 adapter since I assumed that would fix the issue, but the drives are still disconnecting when I unplug the audio device, even though they each connect separately to the Alpine Ridge card.

Any ideas??? Why did this start happening after I switched to the SSDT?

That was my original plan when I built my machine. Nobody but some engineer at Apple knows why.

I had this issue on my system across a few different BIOS, from F5 to F13. -Trying to use/swap an Apollo or BMD MultiDock between my Hack and my 6,2 Mini gave it fits. I think there's a persistent "memory" of the device and the cable (remember that even TB cables have firmware, ISYN.) has to be "deadened" to work again: Shut down the machines nd peripherals, leave the Thunderbolt cables connected to the peripheral device and disconnect from the Hack or the Mac, etc. -I learned this in a most difficult way.

Daisy chain only what you're willing to leave. Sadly, it's not plug 'n' play anymore. If you want to save the headache, pickup a Titan Ridge card or buy an "extra" used Thunderbolt interface. I know that sounds absurd, but it's the price of sanity. Never (say in the case of an Apollo) try to attach a audio device to two different computers. If a DAW would allow it, I'd switch everything but my sample NVMe to a network drive. I'm not sure anyone's figured out how to do that even in the age of audio over ethernet a-la RedNet. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Uh, sure, but mine are for a Gigabyte Titan Ridge AIC for a Z370 (see my build info) -YMMV. If you need to edit it, my Thunderbolt lives on RP21, so replace the value as needed using the MACiASL app. Mine was originally written by @kgp . It could be that this is okay for an X board (I see you're using an X99. Anyway, it's not firmware and just goes into your EFI<Clover<Patched. Make a bootable EFI backup so you can go back and yank out these patches if they don't work.

Also, see E.7 (scroll; it's down a ways...) at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...o-x99-successful-build-extended-guide.227001/
Oh Hi sorry my sig is not for the machine I'm working on. I working on a X299 Designare EX with onboard TB3. But thanks I will look at it and do some tests and adjustments. Thanks!

Oh, that's a great board! That came out soon after I purchased the Z370 :lol:. Stick with it. Even if you don't get hotplug working, it'll still be a great machine. All I'd recommend is physically disconnect all of your internal drives before forcing a UEFI Windows install (even disabling CSM support in BIOS) and get your Thunderbolt devices recognized in Windows 10 before doing your TonyMac stuff. -This is general advice you'll probably see in the link below.

I'd go with @kgp 's guide, for sure. It's complex, but overall I think it's as golden as can be for X299: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ojave-successful-build-extended-guide.255082/

Besides this thread, @kgp (retired) @pastrychef@RehabMan and @Stork are members who have written great advice (that's already been written and ready to go) for your setup. As you know, this is a dense site, but there are things worth reading. I can't advise you on X299 beyond that since I don't have that board and I don't want to misguide you. But UAD Apollo/Avid stuff? I know that well.

Last edited:
Uh, sure, but mine are for a Gigabyte Titan Ridge AIC for a Z370 (see my build info) -YMMV. If you need to edit it, my Thunderbolt lives on RP21, so replace the value as needed using the MACiASL app. Mine was originally written by @kgp . It could be that this is okay for an X board (I see you're using an X99. Anyway, it's not firmware and just goes into your EFI<Clover<Patched. Make a bootable EFI backup so you can go back and yank out these patches if they don't work.

Also, see E.7 (scroll; it's down a ways...) at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...o-x99-successful-build-extended-guide.227001/

Jiffy,

So you have both TB ports working simultaneously on your Titan Ridge AIC with a Z370 Aorus Gaming 7? Were you able to get both ports working on an Alpine Ridge with the same Mobo? I can get both to work but only one at a time, not both simultaneously. Are you saying you also got hot swap working with the Titan Ridge?

Thanks!

Jiffy,

So you have both TB ports working simultaneously on your Titan Ridge AIC with a Z370 Aorus Gaming 7? Were you able to get both ports working on an Alpine Ridge with the same Mobo? I can get both to work but only one at a time, not both simultaneously. Are you saying you also got hot swap working with the Titan Ridge?

Thanks!

Yeah, only one port at a time on Alpine Ridge in 10.x.x. on my Z370 (two on Windows 10)... I resisted the Titan ridge for a long time. See my build.
One thing: If you ever update your BIOS, pull the Thunderbolt card first or you might brick it. I lost my first Alpine Ridge card that way. IDK why this is a thing, but I'm taking no chances as I don't have boxes of Thunderbolt cards lying around.

If you get a new card, it'll need that new driver installed from within Windows. I have an SSD with Windows 10 Pro (yeah , I paid the full license) just for this kind of stuff.

Here's something wierd comparing a real Mini 6,2 to my build. Maybe it'll give someone some ideas about how these devices and drivers attach and can re-attach after a power-cycle of the external device.

CC: @jb007

Attachments

• My build.png
    My build.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 222
  • Macmini6,2 Thunderbolt viewed on PCI.png
    Macmini6,2 Thunderbolt viewed on PCI.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 222
  • Macmini6,2 viewed on Thunderbolt.png
    Macmini6,2 viewed on Thunderbolt.png
    129.1 KB · Views: 211
I have a GA Z270 with GA Alpine Ridge card... if I can be of any help please feel free to ask...
Would you mind sharing your EFI Folder?

Booted with UAD Apollo powered off and unplugged today, logged in, powered on UAD Apollo and connected the thunderbolt cable. My uad Connected instantly using SSDT V2 in the beginning of this post with ab inject method. I appear to have full hot swap working. GC alpine ridge with TBH cable connected.

I'm wondering if your mobo is connecting Thunderbolt directly to the CPU. On my Z370, it goes through the PCH. That may be a key difference.

"using SSDT V2 in the beginning of this post with ab inject method" -As in A/B inject or the word an?
If "an inject method" is being used would you mind showing me a screenshot of the Clover Configurator .config page this is on?

Can you power down the Apollo and then power it back up (without unplugging it) and get it back and recognized?

Last edited:
Hello
I have one Aorus Z370 Gaming K3 motherboard with latest bios F.13
and alpine ridge 2.0 wirh Thbc cable connected

I have download this file https://www.tonymacx86.com/attachme...382038/?hash=a995dc753a980d465b9fb3af8920d5d8

Can you help me how to "install" ?

Archive have 2 folders

__MACOSX
and
SSDT-Z370-TB3HP

I have copy the content of SSDT-Z370-TB3HP the two .aml files to /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched/.
but hot plug is not working.

I just got a GC-Titan ridge and installed it on a Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 (v1.0) board using F13 bios. Unexpectedly TB3 works perfectly fine in macOS (High Sierra - 10.13.6), including hotswapping. The only thunderbolt device I have is a UAD Arrow, but I can unplug it and plug it back in (even change ports) and it comes up every time in mac. USB 3.1 devices also work fine and hot swap without issue on the titan ridge TB3 ports. Sleep also works fine.

No idea what I've done differently to those that dont have hotswapping. But as a run down, I have the THB_C cable attached, also the F_USB attached (but I'm pretty sure that particular USB header used doesnt have port entries in my usb-ssdt, I can check on that later). I installed the 17.4.77.400 thunderbolt drivers (from Gigabytes site) in Windows 10, which updated the titan ridge firmware. Installed SSDT-Z370-TB3HP.aml (which seems to have strings for alpine ridge in it, so it comes up as alpine ridge in system profiler), and SSDT-DTPG. Then changed bios settings as per the photo below (this was the biggest change, it didnt work in mac at all before that). Been using profile iMac18,3 the entire time.

Hopefully it helps someone with an Aorus Gaming 3 F13 + GC-TitanRidge setup.

thunderbolt_bios_opotions.jpg

Attachments

• SSDT_TitanRidge_Z370_Gaming_3.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Back