Contribute
Register
I tried the enumeration settings without reading the earlier posts first (am on an Apline Ridge v2)... now I cannot change any TB settings in the BIOS anymore. Could not make any further tests if the card works or not.

Has anyone ever recovered the TB card / the BIOS settings after having changed this setting? I am still on an older BIOS (F4), maybe flashing a newer one could help (latest is F13)? I read in some posts that one should remove the TB card while flashing the BIOS, as it could crash it.

Or better order a Titan Ridge straigt away? Is Titan Ridge easier for working hotplug / wake after sleep?

@svbailey: Which BIOS version are you using?
For my Gaming 5, I am using F7 Bios version

Hi all, i am trying to get hotplug working with my thunderbolt Apline Ridge card plugged on a X299 mobo. I can't get this to work with any of the SSDTs provided here kindly by KGP.
The Alpine Ridge show in the macOS PCI listings only if i plugged device before boot. (This is the same with USB3)
Here is my SSDTs and Ioreg file (with thunderbolt 3 devices plugged in at startup).

Any help would be very much appreciated. Best regards

Attachments

• X299.ioreg
    4.1 MB · Views: 193
  • SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 182
  • SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml
    8.1 KB · Views: 156
Hoping someone can help me out.. I have the GB z370 Gaming 5 w Alpine Ridge card, and was trying to see if I could get hot plugging working. My setup went from manageable to worse.

I use a thunderbolt drive enclosure, and a thunderbolt audio device. The thunderbolt audio device gets switched between computers frequently, so my initial solution was to have the thunderbolt audio cable daisy chained to the enclosure, which then went to the computer. This way, while I would need to restart the system, the drives wouldn't get suddenly ejected. (I only had one thunderbolt 2->3 adapter at the time)

In an attempt to get hot plugging working, I used the pre-edited Z370 SSDT on the first page of the thread, installed F10 bios, and follows all configuration settings. When I booted, hot plugging still doesn't work. However, the behavior of thunderbolt is worse now. If I unplug the audio device daisy chained to the drives (but the drives remain plugged in to the computer), the drives will freeze up and eject.

I tried getting a second Thunderbolt 2->3 adapter since I assumed that would fix the issue, but the drives are still disconnecting when I unplug the audio device, even though they each connect separately to the Alpine Ridge card.

Any ideas??? Why did this start happening after I switched to the SSDT?

Hoping someone can help me out.. I have the GB z370 Gaming 5 w Alpine Ridge card, and was trying to see if I could get hot plugging working. My setup went from manageable to worse.

I use a thunderbolt drive enclosure, and a thunderbolt audio device. The thunderbolt audio device gets switched between computers frequently, so my initial solution was to have the thunderbolt audio cable daisy chained to the enclosure, which then went to the computer. This way, while I would need to restart the system, the drives wouldn't get suddenly ejected. (I only had one thunderbolt 2->3 adapter at the time)

In an attempt to get hot plugging working, I used the pre-edited Z370 SSDT on the first page of the thread, installed F10 bios, and follows all configuration settings. When I booted, hot plugging still doesn't work. However, the behavior of thunderbolt is worse now. If I unplug the audio device daisy chained to the drives (but the drives remain plugged in to the computer), the drives will freeze up and eject.

I tried getting a second Thunderbolt 2->3 adapter since I assumed that would fix the issue, but the drives are still disconnecting when I unplug the audio device, even though they each connect separately to the Alpine Ridge card.

Any ideas??? Why did this start happening after I switched to the SSDT?

You probably use the wrong BIOS, F10 is good only for Ultra Gaming...

What you need:
It is necessary to update/downgrade the BIOS to a specific version that shows this description:
  1. Update CPU microcode for upcoming CPU
  2. Improve windows boot time
For example for the GB Z370 Ultra Gaming is the F10.
BIOS GB_Z370_UG.png

Remember to clean the CMOS after bios update and use the appropriate settings for your OS.

Hi, i still can't get the hotplug to work on my hack but I noticed that in the report system file thats the thunderbolt 3 drivers is noticed as "Not installed". It's a 10.13.6 system. Is it normal ? It has always worked with a device plugged at boot but i never got hotplug. I hope someone can help me aboutthis. best regards.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2019-05-16 à 06.46.38.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-05-16 à 06.46.38.png
    170.6 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Tried the z370 SSDT with my Aorus Gaming 7, edited for RP21, hot plug did not work for me either. My Thunderbolt is working fine; the SSDT showed "proper implementation", but still no hot plug support. Has anyone got a hot plug working on the Aorus Gaming 7 (bios f7)?

Nope! On the Apollo 8, once the power is flipped off, it breaks the connection to the driver and/or the UAD Mixer engine that makes the whole thing work. IDK why it works perfectly on a real Mac and not on these user-builds.
Likewise, I can use a Digi 003R on my rig using the Thunderbolt 3<Thunderbolt 2<Firewire (triple dongle!) and it works great. But poke that power button, and you'll be SOL until you reboot. –Again unlike a real Mac, even a 2005 PPC Mini.
Odd stuff.

Following your suggestion i tried with method 1. As known Designare Ex X299 has 2 tb ports so with ssdt of method1 only 1 port (the one next to Display Port connector) works with a thunderbolt peripheral connected. In my case i've 2 tb peripherals, an UAD Arrow thunderbolt 3 audio interface and a western digital thunderbolt 2 connected with a tb2 to tb3 apple adaptor.
With ssdt of method 1 only my audio card is recognized and fully hot swappable. My disk is not seen. Only if i disconnect the disk from the second port and connect in the above mentioned it works with full hot swap. So maybe in the ssdt should be added this port.
Did you got to manage the two onboard Thunderbolt 3 ports working hot swap? I mean with out any SSDT it's not hot swap but working. If so would you mind sharing your files?

Thanks

So if no TB Hotswap is working on the Z370 Aorus Gaming 7, what are some confirmed Z370/390 Gigabyte Mobos with confirmed working hot swap? Perhaps it would be more advantageous to add to the initial post a list of confirmed working "hot swap friendly" mobos?

Did you got to manage the two onboard Thunderbolt 3 ports working hot swap? I mean with out any SSDT it's not hot swap but working. If so would you mind sharing your files?

Thanks

Uh, sure, but mine are for a Gigabyte Titan Ridge AIC for a Z370 (see my build info) -YMMV. If you need to edit it, my Thunderbolt lives on RP21, so replace the value as needed using the MACiASL app. Mine was originally written by @kgp . It could be that this is okay for an X board (I see you're using an X99. Anyway, it's not firmware and just goes into your EFI<Clover<Patched. Make a bootable EFI backup so you can go back and yank out these patches if they don't work.

Also, see E.7 (scroll; it's down a ways...) at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...o-x99-successful-build-extended-guide.227001/

Attachments

• SSDT-DTPG.aml
    100 bytes · Views: 213
  • SSDT-X299-TB3HP.aml
    5.7 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Back