Contribute
Register
Not that I know off. I have the same mobo, hotplug and sleep won't work properly when using TB/USB-C. Stuff has to be connected before boot, and then it will work(if it works at all).

I've tried lots of solutions(more stopgaps), none of them worked right.

Not that I know off. I have the same mobo, hotplug and sleep won't work properly when using TB/USB-C. Stuff has to be connected before boot, and then it will work(if it works at all).

Same. I’ve stopped focusing my attention on TB with this board and moved away from TB in favor of USB3. Might try again with my next build but might also stay away from TB altogether :)

Ok, after a lot of trials with ssdt, maybe now everything works! (I say maybe because nothing lasts forever in the hackintosh world).

At last I tried to wipe out all TB kext related in S/L/E following the instructions in this thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-thunderbolt-3-to-thunderbolt-adapter.200902/

In EFI/clover/ACPI/patched I put the attached SSDT.
Now my external drive with apple TB2 to TB3-USBC works with Hot plug+sleep/wake!
Hope this helps. I think this is good only for the Z170X UD5 TH.

Bye!
A.

Attachments

• SSDT-C-TB3.aml
    2.2 KB · Views: 233
  • SSDT-TB3.aml
    6.9 KB · Views: 263
  • USB-SSDT.aml
    10.9 KB · Views: 219
Ok, after a lot of trials with ssdt, maybe now everything works! (I say maybe because nothing lasts forever in the hackintosh world).

At last I tried to wipe out all TB kext related in S/L/E following the instructions in this thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-thunderbolt-3-to-thunderbolt-adapter.200902/

Now my external drive with apple TB2 to TB3-USBC works with Hot plug+sleep/wake!

Bye!
A.

Does hot plug work even when no devices are plugged in at boot?

Bye!
A.

I tried the attached SSDTs and thunderbolt settings but I wasn't able to match those settings as I'm on 22g BIOS.
Hot Plug did not work for me (test device was Startech TB3-TB2 adaptor into a Blackmagic Mini Monitor).

I tried the attached SSDTs and thunderbolt settings but I wasn't able to match those settings as I'm on 22g BIOS.
Hot Plug did not work for me (test device was Startech TB3-TB2 adaptor into a Blackmagic Mini Monitor).

Hi Canyondust, it works only if the device is plugged since boot and powered. The other weird thing is that if you unplug the cable (not unmout the drive) from Usb-C-TB3 if you have something attached to the other USB-C -tb3 (in my case an usb-c drive) it unplugs too. So the solution is not perfect but enough for my needs. Speed is also good too.

I have bios F22g too and the thunderbolt setting are: no security (there's no "legacy mode" in my menu).
Did you wipe out the TB kext in S/L/E? Because it seems to be necessary to make things work.
Let me know.
Alex

Hi Canyondust, it works only if the device is plugged since boot and powered. The other weird thing is that if you unplug the cable (not unmout the drive) from Usb-C-TB3 if you have something attached to the other USB-C -tb3 (in my case an usb-c drive) it unplugs too. So the solution is not perfect but enough for my needs. Speed is also good too.

I have bios F22g too and the thunderbolt setting are: no security (there's no "legacy mode" in my menu).
Did you wipe out the TB kext in S/L/E? Because it seems to be necessary to make things work.
Let me know.
Alex

Yeah, I wiped the kexts. Device shows up when plugged in at boot but disappears when unplugged and doesn’t return when plugged back in. (Mostly regular behavior)
Was worth a shot :)

No problem I was so excited I forgot to elaborate lol. The SSDT files I am referring to are for Gigabyte 300 Series boards which are mentioned in post #1, I have a Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 board, I changed my TB enumeration settings in the bios under Peripherals-Thunderbolt Configuration-Thunderbolt Enumeration Mode-I changed from Legacy to Native. I am using an Alpine Ridge PCIE card and for now I am hot-plugging a Thunderbolt 2 drive I have connected via an Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter.

I tried the enumeration settings without reading the earlier posts first (am on an Apline Ridge v2)... now I cannot change any TB settings in the BIOS anymore. Could not make any further tests if the card works or not.

Has anyone ever recovered the TB card / the BIOS settings after having changed this setting? I am still on an older BIOS (F4), maybe flashing a newer one could help (latest is F13)? I read in some posts that one should remove the TB card while flashing the BIOS, as it could crash it.

Or better order a Titan Ridge straigt away? Is Titan Ridge easier for working hotplug / wake after sleep?

@svbailey: Which BIOS version are you using?

Last edited:
Update: I flashed the F11 BIOS and evrything works again. Thunderbolt settings reappeared in the BIOS (without the enumeration mode sub-menu). The card is recognized via the pre-edited SSDT in Post 1 even if no devices are attached when the computer is powered on. This looks like this:

After powering on, the screen is a few seconds longer black before the Aorus logo is displayed; looks like the F11 BIOS activates the card during this time.

Hotplug works on both ports (tested with Apple TB3-TB2 adapter with Apple Ethernet and Firewire adapters). USB-3.1 seems to work, too.

What is not working: Connecting a MacBook Pro and using the Thunderbolt Bridge for Networking (or booting the MacBookPro into Target Mode and connectting TB cable). I will post screenshots later.

What is not working: Connecting a MacBook Pro and using the Thunderbolt Bridge for Networking (or booting the MacBookPro into Target Mode and connectting TB cable). I will post screenshots later.

I don't think this is working for anyone with a Hack... Hot plug with working sleep is the max attainable.

Back