Contribute
Register
Maybe it was in this discussion that I read that this mobo (Z370 Aorus Gaming 7) only allows their card to use PCH lanes. I thought the point of Thunderbolt was that it was tied directly to the CPU.

The GPU is on the PCIe16x -The GC Alpine Ridge is supposed to go in the very last PCIe slot. It's not sharing lanes, but if I moved it, it would. To get your money's worth out of a dedicated GPU, it needs to be in that x16 slot. In addition, my GPU is double-width. What's odd is that the GPU shows in the system report, but not in the list of PCI devices. The performance from the card is very good. Good benchmarks, etc. The Apollo 8 also performs well and the latency is very low. I've been able to repeat the "half-speed" performance of the Thunderbolt BMD Multidock 2 on a real 2012 QC Mini (6,2) -it's only a few MB/s slower than when it's on the Hack and the Apollo is daisy chained to that. I'm using real Apple TB2 cables and Apollo TB3 to TB2 dongles with identical dongle and cable firmware.

Q: Has anyone considered that this problem lies inherent in Thunderbolt cable firmware? There's a lot of fancy stuff inside of that connector.

View attachment 362227

Using the 2012 Mac Mini (6,2) with a Samsung 860 EVO 1TB with the BMD MultiDock 2 via Thunderbolt:
View attachment 362228

Inside the Hack's via the internal SATA6 bus with the Samsung 860 EVO 1TB:

View attachment 362229

i have your same cpu (i7 8700k) and graphics, how do you make the gpu and the cpu graphics works together? I tried a lot of configurations...
Using the Bruce x test in FCPX, the speed goes well only when disabling the UHD 630...(just using the rx 580) but I don't have quicktime screen recording, etc (but I can reproduce Netflix, iTunes and other DRM needed applications...)

thanks in advance

HI, WonderFilm
I have same mobo and bios ver.
I'm reading very carefuly read and trying method.
But Unfortunately I did not get a positive result.
@LeleTuratti 's ssdt-v2 is device tree and hotplug doing well, but wake after sleep all device detatched.
This is our mobo z170x-ud5 th's problem.

Just wanting to clarify... you are saying hotplug is working with ssdt-v2 method, outside of unmounting during sleep? If so, I might take the time to try to get this working, since some hot plug ability would be better than none. Thanks

i have your same cpu (i7 8700k) and graphics, how do you make the gpu and the cpu graphics works together? I tried a lot of configurations...
Using the Bruce x test in FCPX, the speed goes well only when disabling the UHD 630...(just using the rx 580) but I don't have quicktime screen recording, etc (but I can reproduce Netflix, iTunes and other DRM needed applications...)

thanks in advance

Please update you sig file so that I can see what yer' runnin'.

FWIW, I've re-updated my Mojave 10.14.2 EFI to a new build with the latest Multibeast: There's a fix in there for the Intel 630. I haven't used this machine for DCP-related stuff, so I haven't run into it. -Except in right-click converting videos. I get one static frame and that's it. Regular export via Quicktime or Compressor works, though... In 10.13.6, both cards show up in the System Report, though the iGPU is just there for Handoff -just like in Mojave. See the Mojave GPU system report. There's a lot in here, but I put in the detail for you in case you want it. Point your studio-building pals to it as needed:
Pro Tools dGPU and 8700K stuff.png

Last edited:
hi Lele,
Can you help me patchh PCI-TB? I do not see PXSX and don't find ""thunderbolt" in my ioreg. I use Apple cinema and use PCI adapter connected.Sorry about my bad english.
Main : Asus X99 Deluxe
GTX : GTX 980Ti
Monitor : Apple Cinema 27"

Thanks.

Attachments

• Duy-tk’s iMac.ioreg
    22.5 MB · Views: 93
  • AIDA64 REPORT.htm.zip
    76.7 KB · Views: 78
I'm not clear on the fix: Would a SSDT that fixes hotplug for, say an LG Thunderbolt monitor, also fix hotplug for a UAD Apollo Thunderbolt Audio Device, and/or a daisy-chained Thunderbolt MultiDock 2? I realize this is very specific, but isn't data just data, or are there "negotiations" going on specific to the different devices. -As opposed to generality of USB or Ethernet?

I'm not clear on the fix: Would a SSDT that fixes hotplug for, say an LG Thunderbolt monitor, also fix hotplug for a UAD Apollo Thunderbolt Audio Device, and/or a daisy-chained Thunderbolt MultiDock 2? I realize this is very specific, but isn't data just data, or are there "negotiations" going on specific to the different devices. -As opposed to generality of USB or Ethernet?

12.14.2018... Nothin'?

If I had to guess, I would say that all devices do not communicate the same. Maybe I just have not messed with enough settings to make it work but I have been unable to get Hotplug to work with my G-Drive External Hard drive. My monitors hot plug on tests but that is with a USB-C ---> HDMI and that is without an SSDT. Also I think the OP has an issue with one of his devices not working with Hotplug. The only thing the SSDT have done for me is allow me to eject the drive and have it leave the IO Reg. Unfortunately I do not have any other true Thunderbolt devices to test with.

Recently purchased Gigabyte Z390 Designare motherboard with onboard Titan Ridge controller. As Gigabyte advertises, it allows us to drive discrete GPU video signal to motherboard's DP input and then it lets onboard TB controller to send the signal to the TB3 ports so we can connect Thunderbolt displays and other devices to them.

Using @CaseySJ guide, I've managed the controller to be recognised in macOS, but Apple Thunderbolt display doesn't show up anywhere and doesn't turn on. I tried various BIOS settings, various SMBIOS types, nothing helps.

I'm wondering, if there's a chance at all to make Apple Thunderbolt display work with onboard Titan Ridge controller of Z390 Designare? Btw, I have access to my Macbook Pro 2012 which works seamlessly with the display. Maybe it can help in order to extract some ACPI/DSDT information to make a proper .aml patch or something. Will greatly appreciate any help!

Hello everybody. If it would help the overall effort, I can attach some screen shots or output files of some i/o reg data from my actual 2012 6,2 Mini during it's interaction with the Apollo 8 if that would be of any help. I also have data from the data recording Instruments tool, but I don't know yet how to read its incredibly dense data. My Thunderbolt devices are a BMD Multidock 2 and a UAD Apollo 8. Let me know if I can help.

As can be seen at the TB-documentation of the Linux-Kernel it is specific at least for 4 Security-Levels: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.13/admin-guide/thunderbolt.html

Question: Is it possible to take the TB-Drivers of Linux for a MacOS-kext?

Last edited:
Back