Contribute
Register
Hi Jaco,

Similar setup over here, but I have not yet applied any patch. I'm not totally clear on which one is safe for my build. Advice on which one for the GA-Z370 with the GC-Alpine Ridge?

IMy hack has to be powered off and the Apollo 8 Quad powered up in order to work. Firewire hotplug for the Digidesign 003R is spotty as well. One of the issues I have which may provide some clues to this topic is that my Blackmagic Design Multidock 2 (single-space rackmounted 4x SSDs) "hangs onto" whatever computer last used it. It has no power switch and the only way of freeing up this device is to power off everything. It's akin to the process of resetting the SMC/PRAM but only with power sources and actually unplugging the TB cables and dongles: I think that there's some sort of persistent memory of the device in the electronics of these Apple cables. Definitely some secret sauce going on in those connector ends. If I unplug all Thunderbolt devices from the hack and back into my Mini 2012 QC 6,2 -everything works as if by magic. I'm using all Apple TB cables and dongles. FWIW, everything is hot-plug friendly in Windows 10.

Please and thank you for guidance...

Hey there! All working fine here now.
If u want to use the DSDT u must update to the latest bios.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11kdBFEG2ugU06HhfzHqhsQiJG5Mz4gnO

Can confirm that GC-TitanRidge is working flawlessly OOB on my rig with attached SSDT.

The only hiccup for me is that I need to eject connected THB and USB-C-disks before sleep otherwise my rig will wake up to a black screen.

As I understand this is a "normal" behaviour for everybody with a connected GC-Titan ridge card
On z370? or on Ws C422?

@LeleTuratti

I am going to buy an
Asus Prime X299-A soon, and atm i have a satellite but is planning to buy an apollo duo as well.

Wonder if you have had any luck on getting hot plug to work on both units yet?

If you use the titan ridge, shouldn’t it work by connecting the 2 units to 2 separate thunderboltports? Without chain.

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Hey everybody. I have some images of my Apollo and how my system is seeing it. I;m hesitant to perform the patch mentioned on page 1 since my system is a Z370 and not an X299. I can only use one port at a time, and if I daisy chain two devices:

TB3 Port 1 ➔ Apple TB 3 to TB 2 dongle ➜ BMD MultiDock 2 (4x SSD bays) ➜ Apollo 8 Quad

Everything works, my SSD performance takes a hit in comparison to my internal SATA6 SSDs. Please see attached images and it may give some clues as to hardware addresses, etc. I've made a couple notations on the attachments. I hope none of it is redundant, but I want to be verbose with this matter. Thanks!
Apollo hanging off of MultiDock2.png

With only the UAD Apollo 8 attached:

IOPP.png

Thunderbolt HAL.png

GC Alpine Ridge TB3 AIC.png

And the last one:

IO Explorer.png

I hope this helps. Not sure. @jb007

Last edited:
Am I correct in my assumption that using the Gigabyte TB3 card is easier to get up and running even with a Z370a? To be honest my ex3 works flawless besides hot plug and of course being seen as an actual thunderbolt device but there was a steep learning curve learning the initial quirks. However I cant fight the desire to make the hack work completely normal.

PS Apollo trick, run your session at 44.1 and it'll get you a few extra miles for plugin DSP.

Am I correct in my assumption that using the Gigabyte TB3 card is easier to get up and running even with a Z370a? To be honest my ex3 works flawless besides hot plug and of course being seen as an actual thunderbolt device but there was a steep learning curve learning the initial quirks. However I cant fight the desire to make the hack work completely normal.

PS Apollo trick, run your session at 44.1 and it'll get you a few extra miles for plugin DSP.

At the time I cobbled together my parts, my setup seemed to be the best blend of parts for what I needed. I would have built an Asus X299 (the one with onboard Thunderbolt) -but it wasn't supported at the time I pulled the finger on this. I thought these Thunderbolt device paths and data would give someone an idea of how to get both ports working, let alone hotplug. After all, it works perfectly (2 ports + hotplug) in Windows 10 Pro 64) –The only way I've gotten my Z370/8700K rig to work is through sheer stubbornness. And it can still be quakey...

I've got the Quad and the only time it craps-out is inside a channel strip -the Delay Compensation Exceeded message. Having to Daisy-chain is annoying. I have read that some builders are disconnecting the cable from the card to the mobo, but I think it has to do with video signals. IDK.

It would seem that identical SSD's should pass the BMD Speedtest, whether internal SATA6 or through the TB3 to TB2 dongle. It should never saturate the bus in a non-RAID setup. See attachments at the end.

And yeah, since all of the samples in VSL are 24/44.1 there's no reason to real-time sample rate convert all of those voices on the fly. I just set the destination rate on my final bounce.

External via Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 BMD MultiDock2:
External Thunderbolt 2 Samsung 860 EVO.jpg

Internal SATA6 bus:
Internal SATA6 Samsung 860 EVO.jpg

At the time I cobbled together my parts, my setup seemed to be the best blend of parts for what I needed. I would have built an Asus X299 (the one with onboard Thunderbolt) -but it wasn't supported at the time I pulled the finger on this. I thought these Thunderbolt device paths and data would give someone an idea of how to get both ports working, let alone hotplug. After all, it works perfectly (2 ports + hotplug) in Windows 10 Pro 64) –The only way I've gotten my Z370/8700K rig to work is through sheer stubbornness. And it can still be quakey...

I've got the Quad and the only time it craps-out is inside a channel strip -the Delay Compensation Exceeded message. Having to Daisy-chain is annoying. I have read that some builders are disconnecting the cable from the card to the mobo, but I think it has to do with video signals. IDK.

It would seem that identical SSD's should pass the BMD Speedtest, whether internal SATA6 or through the TB3 to TB2 dongle. It should never saturate the bus in a non-RAID setup. See attachments at the end.

And yeah, since all of the samples in VSL are 24/44.1 there's no reason to real-time sample rate convert all of those voices on the fly. I just set the destination rate on my final bounce.

External via Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 BMD MultiDock2:
View attachment 360907

Internal SATA6 bus:
View attachment 360908

ha, for me its the Neve 1073. I've got four as well. The legacy plugins go super far too.

I left the cable plugged in and did the windows install method which was straightforward but every time I would boot to OS it would hang. I figured out that in the thunderbolt bios settings if I disabled USB it would boot. Also realizing the process too: unplug the computer after installing. Eh, Im ready for a one click solution :)

ha, for me its the Neve 1073. I've got four as well. The legacy plugins go super far too.

I left the cable plugged in and did the windows install method which was straightforward but every time I would boot to OS it would hang. I figured out that in the thunderbolt bios settings if I disabled USB it would boot. Also realizing the process too: unplug the computer after installing. Eh, Im ready for a one click solution :)

I hear ya'. I like the small 1073, but went with the Neve 88RS and the API Vision channel strip. The 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 GHz (model 6,2) is so straightforward with an Apollo 8 hanging off of that second TB2 port of the BMD MultiDock 2. Just not enough horses and RAM for video or that VSL Yamaha CFX.

Hey, does that USB-C plug on the Z370 mirror an output of the Thunderbolt card? It's too bad we can't just plug into the Mini Display Port on the card instead of using dongles. That Mac Pro I had last year had six Thunderbolt ports. Sure they were in groups, but six! I used 'em all, a couple for Firewire.

Back