Contribute
Register
Allright! Thanks again! My TB3 working perfectly! Hotswap is working! Thanks for your help! I can share my files here:

This is with the latest bios for my MB.

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    97.6 KB · Views: 145
  • SSDT-TB3.aml
    6.9 KB · Views: 166
  • SSDT-UIAC.aml
    660 bytes · Views: 145
Allright! Thanks again! My TB3 working perfectly! Hotswap is working! Thanks for your help! I can share my files here:

This is with the latest bios for my MB.
Did you get help sorting your DSDT out? Wonder if that's were I got problems as well? Or if it's just the hardware/drivers that doesn't work that well with hack.

Running into a weird issue, this is my first TB3 build.

So didn't' mess around with hot swap or anything, but I am using the Asus extension card on my Asus Prime Z370-A.

I did get the thunderbolt to recognize in OSX, but when I plug in my Vega 56, whenever there is a thunderbolt device attached, OSX is booting to a black screen.

When I remove the thunderbolt device, OSX loads up perfectly fine. Not sure if there is some Thunderbolt setting messing up the boot. I did turn off internal graphics.

Adding myself to the list of people who has successfully managed to get hotplug *partially* working with the Alpine Ridge 2.0 card. I used Method #1, on a Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 board. I had to modify the SSDT to account for this boards ACPI path of RP21.

Huge huge huge thanks to everyone who's gotten this as far as it has. It's come an incredible way in such a short while.

I'm still waiting on my thunderbolt audio interface to get here, so my testing is somewhat limited right now to utilizing Thunderbolt 3 as a USB C 3.1 connection, but something interesting I've discovered in regard to the thunderbolt cable that connects the card to the motherboard, is that the cable, at least for me, seems to be the piece that allows USB to function across Thunderbolt.

When I remove the cable, no matter what I do under OSX, the device will not become active. I've tried all 3 methods, as well as several other SSDT and Arbitrary Injection without the cable. I expect once I actually get my legitimate Thunderbolt audio interface in and retest everything, I'm probably going to find that it will function without that cable being connected, but time will tell.

In the interim, utilizing Method 1 with the cable connected allows me to boot with my current USB C 3.1 (connected straight to Thunderbolt 3 on the card) completely turned off, and the device syncs and works under OSX just as you'd expect. I can turn the interface on and off, reboot and shut down the computer, and it comes back up each and every time which is fantastic!

The last remaining piece of the puzzle for an otherwise perfect implementation is, just as others have experienced, sleep breaks thunderbolt functionality completely until I reboot OSX. So very close. Hopefully we can continue to make some progress at this and get over this final hurdle.

Well, things certainly changed once I got a legitimate Thunder bolt device up and going. My hotplug, that was working with a regular USB-C device, no longer works at all. I've tried all the SSDTs I could come across, as well as modifying them to work with my RP21 device location, still - no hotplug support at all. It seems my SSDT isn't configured correctly

If I disconnect the cable on the thunderbolt card, it seems to stop working all together, so my earlier assumption that the cable was used only for USB is probably not true.

- I've noticed only the top port on my Alpine Ridge card works - Even under windows. For some reason, the second port toward the middle of the card doesn't work at all. Is this normal behavior or do I perhaps have a bad card?

Last edited:
Well, things certainly changed once I got a legitimate Thunder bolt device up and going. My hotplug, that was working with a regular USB-C device, no longer works at all. I've tried all the SSDTs I could come across, as well as modifying them to work with my RP21 device location, still - no hotplug support at all. It seems my SSDT isn't configured correctly

If I disconnect the cable on the thunderbolt card, it seems to stop working all together, so my earlier assumption that the cable was used only for USB is probably not true.

- I've noticed only the top port on my Alpine Ridge card works - Even under windows. For some reason, the second port toward the middle of the card doesn't work at all. Is this normal behavior or do I perhaps have a bad card?
Not all audio interfaces seem to be able to hotplug on hacks with method 1. My MOTU interfaces for example.

But I do have both ports working so I believe there is something fishy with your card.

Not all audio interfaces seem to be able to hotplug on hacks with method 1. My MOTU interfaces for example.

But I do have both ports working so I believe there is something fishy with your card.

Very interesting. Have you had any luck with the other methods in getting hotplug to work with your interface?

Definitely good to know about both ports working on your card. I hate to send it back, but if there is something going on with it, I'm going to need to. I could see only one port working on OSX, but I find it hard to believe that only one port would work under Windows, so I'm strongly suspecting something is going on with the card too. I should have just opted for the new one from the get-go, but...it was hard to pass up the price of the used card. Live and learn I guess. Hopefully, they'll take it back and can get another one out.

Nope. It feels like it has something to do with driver/app or the hardware itself. I've seen other interfaces that have the same problem.
Hmm. Unfortunate.

Part of me still feels that the DSDT isn't perfect for all devices, and that's where the issue lies. When I experimented with Methods 1, 2, and 3 that I found here, it was showing my device as a "Media Card" and giving me a 'eject media card' icon in the upper right hand tray area.

It wasn't until I started messing around with the DSDT that I was able to get that to go away, and was finally able to get OSX to properly list my Focusrite Clarett under the System Report. It feels one step closer, but obviously not perfect yet. Sadly, I have no idea what I'm really doing with the DSDT edits and am more or less randomly throwing darts at a target hoping for something to hit.

I suspect that this device (as well as others) don't properly conform 100% to the DSDT's that are listed here, while some obviously do. I can't help but feel that the evidence of my device not being properly recognized more or less supports that theory, and going along with that - I suspect the reason hotplug isn't working for my device (and likely others) is simply that those methods for getting hotplug support to work, aren't properly tied to the device and what it needs. I wish I had a better understanding of it so that I could work on trying to get everything to play nicely.

In either case - I'm still waiting for my new Alpine Ridge card to get here so that I have a card where both Port 1 and 2 work - that may shed some additional light on getting this to work properly, or... my card right now may have something else broken in it too. Who knows.

Last edited:
Back