Contribute
Register
I'm a bit confused following this thread, but can someone just verify with me - hot plugging is not working for z370 systems yet right? I was going to get a i9 7900 system (so, x299) but it was significantly more expensive and overclocking seemed more troublesome.
Currently the best results are with X299 chipsets and a PCI-Thunderbolt card.
For all other chipsets there are no developments until we understand what the THB_C cable does

X299 Designare user here. Can confirm method 1 works perfectly for me! Incredible! Thankyou!!!

X299 Designare user here. Can confirm method 1 works perfectly for me! Incredible! Thankyou!!!
I have designare x299 but method 1 for me doesn't work...did you modify the original ssdt? if so please can you share it?

I did not! It has been a nightmare, spent the last few days hammering it to get TB working.... ill have a look tonight and post you my ssdt.

I did not! It has been a nightmare, spent the last few days hammering it to get TB working.... ill have a look tonight and post you my ssdt.
Ok Thanks

Following your suggestion i tried with method 1. As known Designare Ex X299 has 2 tb ports so with ssdt of method1 only 1 port (the one next to Display Port connector) works with a thunderbolt peripheral connected. In my case i've 2 tb peripherals, an UAD Arrow thunderbolt 3 audio interface and a western digital thunderbolt 2 connected with a tb2 to tb3 apple adaptor.
With ssdt of method 1 only my audio card is recognized and fully hot swappable. My disk is not seen. Only if i disconnect the disk from the second port and connect in the above mentioned it works with full hot swap. So maybe in the ssdt should be added this port.

Following your suggestion i tried with method 1. As known Designare Ex X299 has 2 tb ports so with ssdt of method1 only 1 port (the one next to Display Port connector) works with a thunderbolt peripheral connected. In my case i've 2 tb peripherals, an UAD Arrow thunderbolt 3 audio interface and a western digital thunderbolt 2 connected with a tb2 to tb3 apple adaptor.
With ssdt of method 1 only my audio card is recognized and fully hot swappable. My disk is not seen. Only if i disconnect the disk from the second port and connect in the above mentioned it works with full hot swap. So maybe in the ssdt should be added this port.
Correct, I do not remember if I have already written, but METHOD 1 works only on the first TB port and only with one device at a time.

The only way to make progress is to understand this data:
Currently I use a PCI-TB card, and without the cable that connects the TB card to the motherboard (the THC_B cable also called AIC header), the hotplug works perfectly (if I booted with a device connected first, see METHOD 2).

It is clear that this cable makes some changes that I went to check, for example:
Schermata 2018-04-28 alle 02.32.47.png

Much more interesting are the values that change if I boot with or without connected devices (always method 2):
WITHOUT DEVICE
Schermata 2018-07-24 alle 15.10.53.png

WITH DEVICE
Schermata 2018-07-24 alle 15.16.00.png

I think that if we understand where to intervene, by studying this data, we can create an SSDT to make the PCI-TB cards work correctly, and it will certainly work even for those with the integrated thunderbolt (and can not remove the THC_B header).

For the moment only those who have the possibility to remove the THC_B header can notice these differences.

Correct, I do not remember if I have already written, but METHOD 1 works only on the first TB port and only with one device at a time.

The only way to make progress is to understand this data:
Currently I use a PCI-TB card, and without the cable that connects the TB card to the motherboard (the THC_B cable also called AIC header), the hotplug works perfectly (if I booted with a device connected first, see METHOD 2).

It is clear that this cable makes some changes that I went to check, for example:
View attachment 348252

Much more interesting are the values that change if I boot with or without connected devices (always method 2):
WITHOUT DEVICE
View attachment 348254

WITH DEVICE
View attachment 348255

I think that if we understand where to intervene, by studying this data, we can create an SSDT to make the PCI-TB cards work correctly, and it will certainly work even for those with the integrated thunderbolt (and can not remove the THC_B header).

For the moment only those who have the possibility to remove the THC_B header can notice these differences.

Interesting! But, has anyone with anything else than a ASUS pci TB card had success with disconnecting the header cable?

Aah great! See that you also use a Gigabyte as do I!

I'm having trouble getting it too work though with your instructions on removing the header and getting it recognized. I have been able to hotplug with one of your ssdt with header inserted, which is great! But since I use a stationary audio interface it's not as important as being able to sleep the computer with TB surviving, which in my case it doesn't. It's seems like most of the guys being able to hotplug also sleeps their hack with TB surviving so that gives me hope!

Back